Help for nuprime x9 dac

richidoo

Re: Help for nuprime x9 dac
« Reply #20 on: 17 Mar 2023, 04:50 pm »
Hello,

how do I trim the input level,as I can`t find anything in the manual.

thx in advance

Peter

Welcome to AudioCircle, Jean Luc!

The manual describes a feature called "input trim" (at the bottom of this page:)
https://manuals.anthemav.com/mrx-avm/en/107#/

Unfortunately, there is no real input trim, as Neo proved. A real input trim matches the signal voltage to the sensitivity of the input stage. In MRX, there is analog input stage which can handle 5V signal without distortion, but it's followed directly by ADC which can't handle hot signals. There is no analog attenuator between them.

The actual max input voltage above which causes digital "over" in the ADC is not specified by Anthem. 2V is the industry standard consumer level (RCA) signal, and Anthem wants to maximize the S/N ratio of the digital signal for their internal DSP so they set the full scale digital level closer to 2V.

This "input trim" is actually an output trim, which is adjusted separately by each input to match the output volume levels across all of the different inputs. This adjustment happens AFTER the analog signal is already converted to and a hot signal is already ruined.

There is no analog attenuation to prevent digital overs, so you have to limit the input voltage externally.

Neoneo

« Reply #21 on: 17 Mar 2023, 09:31 pm »
Hello,

thx in advance

Peter

You have the same model ?

anyway adjusting the input level on the anthem mrx (trim input) is inefficient on the signal saturation

Neoneo

« Reply #22 on: 17 Mar 2023, 10:07 pm »

@rustydoglim

do you know the maximum rms voltage on the L1 and L2 rca inputs of the nuprime pra 9x?

rather than connecting the pre out outputs of the anthem mrx (up to 4.2vrms) to the rca input (1.5vrms max) of the nuprime 9x dac, wouldn't it be wiser to connect it to the L1 input or L2 of pra 9x? I think the L1 or L2 rca input of the pra 9x can support at least 4vrms, because nuprime recommends to connect the 9x dac which has a 4vrms output, on the pra 9x, on the L1 or L2 input. because I haven't found a setting in the anthem that attenuates the output signal from the pre outs.
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2023, 01:24 pm by Neoneo »

rustydoglim

« Reply #23 on: 18 Mar 2023, 08:33 am »

You can't adjust the gain of DAC-9X inputs.