The Brute

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
Re: The Brute
« Reply #20 on: 15 Mar 2023, 01:31 pm »
I get the want for more solid servo bass but that’s asking a lot for some people.  I was just thinking adding that magical 12” bass like the brute has but in a simplified cabinet by itself that the NXStudio could sit on. 
A higher end Brute so to speak.  I don’t know I’m just spit-balling here.

I agree and should have said that both options would be good.

Is the cut out for the servo and the nonservo drivers the same?

I am thinking about getting the Brute flatpack and covering the mid and tweeter holes. Making my own bass module and set my Studio's on top. :thumb:

Maybe Danny could make plugs for the mid and tweeter holes to do just that.

And yes I’m just spit-balling here too.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #21 on: 15 Mar 2023, 04:15 pm »
Maybe an NX-Studio version could be the 3rd model in the lineup.  The Brute is the passive 12 inch woofer and Bravo drivers.  The Bully is the sealed Servo sub and an MTM layout of the Bravo drivers.  And the Behemoth (I just made that name up, lol) could be the sealed Servo and the NX-Studio drivers. 

Although, now that I think about it, if I had an NX-Studio if I wanted to add bass to it, I'd probably just buy a couple sealed servo kits and make the cabinets taller so they would work as stands for the Studios.  Then there'd be no need to wait for Danny.  Or, I'd build out a pair of dual OB servo subs and just use them as stands for the Studios. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 15 Mar 2023, 05:07 pm »
Maybe an NX-Studio version could be the 3rd model in the lineup.  The Brute is the passive 12 inch woofer and Bravo drivers.  The Bully is the sealed Servo sub and an MTM layout of the Bravo drivers.  And the Behemoth (I just made that name up, lol) could be the sealed Servo and the NX-Studio drivers. 

Although, now that I think about it, if I had an NX-Studio if I wanted to add bass to it, I'd probably just buy a couple sealed servo kits and make the cabinets taller so they would work as stands for the Studios.  Then there'd be no need to wait for Danny.  Or, I'd build out a pair of dual OB servo subs and just use them as stands for the Studios.
After the "Bully" is the "Beast" using the M165 in an MTM arrangement with a pair of 12" subs with an HX800 down below.

But who knows, "Behemoth" would be an interesting idea if we wanted to take them even further.

mkrawcz

« Reply #23 on: 15 Mar 2023, 08:03 pm »
After the "Bully" is the "Beast" using the M165 in an MTM arrangement with a pair of 12" subs with an HX800 down below.

But who knows, "Behemoth" would be an interesting idea if we wanted to take them even further.
How about a “David” and “Goliath”?

Early B.

« Reply #24 on: 15 Mar 2023, 08:44 pm »
Or how about the "Bloody Sundae" -- a compression driver blasting into a 12" wide horn with a 15" midwoofer sitting on top of an optional 15" servo sub module? 

hawkeyejw

« Reply #25 on: 16 Mar 2023, 01:28 am »
I’m trying to visualize the beast and failing, that thing is going to be enormous.

Tyson

« Reply #26 on: 16 Mar 2023, 01:30 am »
I’m trying to visualize the beast and failing, that thing is going to be enormous.

Well, Danny is from Texas.  Go big or go home!

JCarney

« Reply #27 on: 16 Mar 2023, 01:39 am »
If there are three models, I thought The Brute, The Beast, and finally The Behemoth, but I see behemoth has been mentioned.

I like the new model. Looks like a fun build.

JCarney

hawkeyejw

« Reply #28 on: 16 Mar 2023, 02:44 am »
Well, Danny is from Texas.  Go big or go home!

The first “holy s$&t that’s a huge speaker” I remember seeing in this hobby was the LS9 so it tracks.  :thumb:

Chops

« Reply #29 on: 18 Mar 2023, 04:34 am »
I’m trying to visualize the beast and failing

I'm trying to ignore that ridiculous name of "Brute" as a name for a potentially serious speaker.

Why Danny didn't keep the naming of this speaker in line with the other names within his brand, I'll never know. But this whole "Brute" name thing is just... Well, I'll just leave it at that. I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers anymore than I probably already have.

Tyson

« Reply #30 on: 18 Mar 2023, 05:33 am »
I'm trying to ignore that ridiculous name of "Brute" as a name for a potentially serious speaker.

Why Danny didn't keep the naming of this speaker in line with the other names within his brand, I'll never know. But this whole "Brute" name thing is just... Well, I'll just leave it at that. I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers anymore than I probably already have.

I think it's not a 'serious' speaker.  I think it's a party speaker that can also do the audiophile thing as a bonus.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #31 on: 18 Mar 2023, 09:41 am »
I think it's not a 'serious' speaker. I think it's a party speaker that can also do the audiophile thing as a bonus.

Correct, it's a throwback to the old big-box speakers, but using good quality parts, and a much stiffer box.

It will never "disappear" as easily as any of our other designs due to the large, wide baffles, but you can crank it up, and get rather deep bass.

Imaging is quite good, as is soundstage width, but depth is limited to the space between the speaker's.

It's not a speaker design that's for everyone, but there are people who are looking for that sort of design.

tom739

« Reply #32 on: 18 Mar 2023, 01:44 pm »
I think it's not a 'serious' speaker.  I think it's a party speaker that can also do the audiophile thing as a bonus.

I think that is a silly statement. "not a serious speaker". I bet this speaker sound better overall than the NX Studio. The key word here is "overall". And with no subs on either speaker.  Just comparing the speakers. Several of you may need to go watch Danny's video again to see what he thinks.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #33 on: 18 Mar 2023, 02:19 pm »
I think that is a silly statement. "not a serious speaker". I bet this speaker sound better overall than the NX Studio. The key word here is "overall". And with no subs on either speaker.  Just comparing the speakers. Several of you may need to go watch Danny's video again to see what he thinks.
I would have to disagree.

The only metric where the Brute really shines vs the NX-Studio is bass extension and impact.
With regards to Imaging, clarity, soundstage etc it's not even close that the Studios are the better speaker.

That's not to say that the Brute isn't a great speaker in it's own right, but it's a very different speaker, geared towards a different crowd of people who want different things.

mkrawcz

« Reply #34 on: 18 Mar 2023, 02:33 pm »
There is no way no how a speaker can be produced using the x series drivers that will ever compete with the NX series. But that’s not the goal of this speaker. It’s a one box, full range, loud playing speaker that can work anywhere.

mkrawcz

« Reply #35 on: 18 Mar 2023, 03:59 pm »
Also, remember the NX-Studios with dual subs will still end up costing a lot more than these speakers. Also, if there ever is an NX version of the Brute, it’s probably going to be about $1k more when you add in the driver cost, crossover parts, and the fact that you probably won’t be able to build the cabinet from scratch as the baffle will need a CNC milled waveguide. So more money equals better performance still applies here.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #36 on: 18 Mar 2023, 04:51 pm »
I still think a Brute based Bass module for the NX Studio is needed in the line up. This way all of us that dont want to spend $4k+ on OB subs or dont want the sealed square cube would have an option. Just say'n :D

mkrawcz

« Reply #37 on: 18 Mar 2023, 05:11 pm »
It may still be a good compromise to have a large bass woofer along with the NX drivers for people who want a one box solution for a medium sized room. I got the Brute so I could have a still really good full range party speaker in my living room without the speakers dominating the room aesthetically. If I want the ultimate experience, I will go to the basement and listen to the NX Oticas.

Early B.

« Reply #38 on: 18 Mar 2023, 05:24 pm »
I still think a Brute based Bass module for the NX Studio is needed in the line up. This way all of us that dont want to spend $4k+ on OB subs or dont want the sealed square cube would have an option. Just say'n :D

It wouldn't be too hard for you to build bass modules (errr...subwoofers) and slap amps on the back of them. There are several guys on AC who would be happy to sketch it up for you. You could probably build two modules for less than half the cost of a pair of OB servo subs, but the trade-off is they won't sound as good and the NX Studios deserve the best bass.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #39 on: 18 Mar 2023, 06:20 pm »
Depending on the cabinet volume needed for the Eminence woofer, I wonder if the single servo sub cabinet would work.  It’s a solid design.