In Need of a Magnepan Tech in Southern California

Onadifferentnote

Does anyone have contact info for a Magnepan tech in SCAL?
Thank you.
Bill…

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: In Need of a Magnepan Tech in Southern California
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2023, 10:20 am »
I don't think there is such a thing.
What do you need to have done?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2023, 12:35 pm »
I would contact Magnapan.  I think they used to do repairs, not sure if they do any longer, but I'd imagine they know of anybody doing repairs.

Onadifferentnote

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2023, 04:20 pm »
I don't think there is such a thing.
What do you need to have done?
It’s a little complicated.
I actually have the Analysis Audio Omega speakers. I just got them and it came with a ribbon tweeter not working. The factory can send me a new ribbon tweeter but they said it’s aluminum and not easy. Shipping the one speaker back and forth is like $900 which I don’t want to do… they suggested looking for a Magnepan technician to reinstall and solder the ribbon back in. They emphasized that soldering to aluminum wasn’t easy for a novice (which I am).

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2023, 04:43 pm »
If it just the ribbon tweeter needs a new ribbon, there are companies like Parts-Express that will rebuild them with new ribbon material.  They did that for Aurum Cantus ribbons in the past.  If it can be removed and shipped, it would be better to do it in the shop.

The folks at Orange County speaker repair, if they are still around might be able to help.

Jan_Mc

« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2023, 10:14 pm »
There is a speaker repair place in North Hollywood too that does high end stuff and might be able to work on them.  Gss Speaker Repair.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2023, 12:21 am »
Replacing Magnepan ribbons couldn't be easier as it's just screw them onto the frame, hook up two spade connectors, pull a little bit of cloth back down and remove the protective strip.

sumoking

« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2023, 05:29 am »
Replacing Magnepan ribbons couldn't be easier as it's just screw them onto the frame, hook up two spade connectors, pull a little bit of cloth back down and remove the protective strip.

I actually have the Analysis Audio Omega speakers. I just got them and it came with a ribbon tweeter not working. The factory can send me a new ribbon tweeter but they said it’s aluminum and not easy. Shipping the one speaker back and forth is like $900 which I don’t want to do… they suggested looking for a Magnepan technician to reinstall and solder the ribbon back in. They emphasized that soldering to aluminum wasn’t easy for a novice (which I am).

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2023, 07:16 am »
I understood what you're saying, I was just suprised that you'd need to do any soldering with installing a ribbon.

Saturn94

« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2023, 03:20 pm »
I wonder if someone at a local metal welding shop could do it?

Onadifferentnote

« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2023, 06:05 pm »
Like the out of the box thinking…
Hmm… is it similar? I’m thinking more like a surgeon…

Saturn94

« Reply #11 on: 12 Mar 2023, 08:09 pm »
Like the out of the box thinking…
Hmm… is it similar? I’m thinking more like a surgeon…

I got quite a few hits on Google for “aluminum solder service”.  It might be worth investigating to see if there’s someone in your area with the skills for delicate work.

Good luck!  :thumb:

sumoking

« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2023, 03:17 am »
I got quite a few hits on Google for “aluminum solder service”.  It might be worth investigating to see if there’s someone in your area with the skills for delicate work.

Good luck!  :thumb:

very kind of you! I'll look it up!

audiobliss

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar 2023, 03:23 pm »
Is soldering the only option?  How about  some kind of compression connection.

ketchup

« Reply #14 on: 14 Mar 2023, 03:50 pm »
I wonder if someone at a local metal welding shop could do it?

Never.  The amperage used in a typical fabrication shop, even on the welder's lowest setting, will instantly vaporize anything even 10 times the thickness of a ribbon tweeter.

OP- Why don't you just ship the tweeter back to the manufacturer?  Why send the whole speaker?

Whitespider

« Reply #15 on: 14 Mar 2023, 05:50 pm »
Without looking at the ribbon tweeter assembly, it's really hard to evaluate how difficult it is to both remove and re-solder wires to the ribbon tweeter.  In the case of the Magnepan ribbon tweeter, replacing the tweeter doesn't require any soldering to the aluminum film as the connections are done to solderable eyelets as I recall.  I know when I made 100% maple plywood panels to replace the factory MDF ones for a friend's MG-3As, I never soldered to anything aluminum.  And the new quasi-ribbon model Magnepans which use aluminum ribbon attached to the mylar film are not soldered but attached by sandwiching the ribbon to the speaker connectors.

You may want to contact the people at RAAL Requisite who are located in Ventura.  RAAL makes ribbon tweeters, but RAAL Requisite makes and distributes ribbon headphones.  They probably know better than anyone about possibly soldering to aluminum if that is required.

https://raalrequisite.com. Check the support listing on the site.

Good luck.

sumoking

« Reply #16 on: 15 Mar 2023, 02:10 am »
Does anyone have contact info for a Magnepan tech in SCAL?
Thank you.
Bill…

Thank you!