Sub integration with Acoustat Spectra 33

Fantome

Sub integration with Acoustat Spectra 33
« on: 3 Mar 2023, 05:14 pm »
Hello all, im new to the forum and looking for solutions to properly adding subs to large full range electrostatic speakers, mainly to add punch in that 30-70hz range, without detracting too much from that magical imaging, has anyone done this successfully? if so id love to hear any and all suggestions.

audiobliss

• Industry Participant
Re: Sub integration with Acoustat Spectra 33
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2023, 04:02 pm »
Every one will give you a different suggestion, from using one , or two or a swarm of subs. They will have you placing, measuring and crawling around the room.
But it really comes down to the size and shape of your room, and how much you want to spend. I use one big Rel and it works great with my setup in a 16 by 20 room. So you can start with one and see where that takes you. It can lead you down another rabbit hole.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2023, 04:30 pm »
REL subs are one of the few brands that are fast enough to seamlessly blend with electrostatics. If you have a huge room then many people like open baffle subs but they are big, ungainly and fuggly.

The Music Room is a certified REL dealer/A+++ reseller. Not all REL subs go down to 30Hz and deeper, you need 19Hz. It's not about slam, it's all about space (RELs punch hard and quick too). Once you hear space you will never go back.
https://tmraudio.com/search-results-page?q=rel%20subwoofers

The REL factory has excellent pre-sales support, call them. Most people buy one size too small for their room and listening habits, sometimes REL says you don't need a sub that big and down-sell you.

audiobliss

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2023, 07:43 pm »
Well said I use a Rel  S812 for about two years now,  and it's just right.  Ii had a HSU 15" before and  the Rel is much better.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2023, 10:01 pm »
The REL G1 Mark II is longer on the main REL site but if my G2 died the G1 Mark II would be high on my list. Smaller than the Reference No.31, it still retains the same shape along with the essential remote. I use the remote all the time because bass levels vary widely between albums, turn it up for early cool jazz and down for EDM. The digital display on the sub lets you know where you are at.

Note: if you can hear a REL sub, it's too loud. If you turn it off the soundfield collapses. Upscale Audio has an explanation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSHkpy2280Q

Over half the new albums I have have sub-bass, like sonic Easter eggs. Unless a sub cleanly goes to 20Hz all that effort by the artist will be gone. From David Crosby to Billie Eilish to the Cowboy Junkies early album "The Trinity Session" to everything put out by 2L. If you want your listening room transformed into a cathedral then you need a 20Hz sub.