silver in cables

ric

silver in cables
« on: 9 Nov 2022, 02:51 pm »
Probably a stupid question, but as a guitar player I have used sterling silver basses on my guitar. Besides loving the sound and hating the price ($58 a set) I was wondering if they could be applied to audio, like using them for a DIY IC. The string itself looks to be a round wound over a nylon core (?)
   If one were to use these strings would you A) unwind the wire from the core which means the string would elongate like a spring, B) which gauge string to use 1.06, .81, or .67, I'm not sure if that refers to the size of the core which would mean the "wrap" would be the same thickness or not.
   I hate to throw away sterling silver, even in a guitar string, thanks!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: silver in cables
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2022, 03:30 pm »
It will be a Interesting experiment.
Look forward tô read your impressions.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2022, 01:40 pm »
There are better things to do with your time and money.

Guitar strings are not interconnect cables!

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2022, 01:51 pm »
With RCA unbalanced, single-ended analog interconnects, it's all about the shield.  The central conductor sees a 10,000 Ohm load, so it could be extremely small (but it might break) and it can be gold, silver, OFC copper or copper, it won't matter. What does matter is the shield (outer conductor) it needs to be heavy and effective.
Note that phono cartridge to pre-amp input, some mic and musical instrument cables have other requirements.

ric

« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2022, 02:28 pm »
I'm not sure iconoclast cables would agree with you about the shield. As far as I understand, they make cables out of different materials (copper, tough pitch copper,etc.) that measure the same, but because of the different types of copper used, sound very different.
   If I make a silver cable, then the question is what do I compare the sound to--the odds of making a better sounding cable (speaker, IC) for me are very slim. I was just curious. Still, curiosity may get the better of me.
 Thanks for your replies!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2022, 02:44 pm »
Raw silver are know tô delivery worse sound than raw copper.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2022, 03:13 pm »
With RCA unbalanced, single-ended analog interconnects, it's all about the shield.  The central conductor sees a 10,000 Ohm load, so it could be extremely small (but it might break) and it can be gold, silver, OFC copper or copper, it won't matter. What does matter is the shield (outer conductor) it needs to be heavy and effective.
Note that phono cartridge to pre-amp input, some mic and musical instrument cables have other requirements.

What is the center conductor in a twisted pair?

My best sounding cables are unshielded.

Guitar strings don't seem to be a good option for interconnect cables.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2022, 12:59 pm »
What is the center conductor in a twisted pair?
Great for an XLR balanced interconnect, wheel spinning for a RCA unbalanced interconnect.

My best sounding cables are unshielded.
Maybe you enjoy the little bit of added background noise/interference.
Or, maybe you are lucky.

VinceT

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2022, 03:44 pm »
The alloys in instrument strings are made for sonic versus conductive properties. Typically they are some type of stainless, nickel, or silver wrapped around something like a nylon in guitar applications. Also you have to be concerned about the oils from human skin introduced from playing them if they are used.

ric

« Reply #9 on: 28 Dec 2022, 02:51 pm »
Just an update on what  sterling silver classical guitar bass strings ( Knobloch $60 set) would happen if I used them as an interconnect.
First of all, thanks to Hapa Audio for helping me out so much on other supplies to do the IC.
Cut to the chase, WOW!
I have been using Silnote and Triode Wire Labs IC's and to date have NOT done a direct comparison, since the guitar string cables are still breaking in. At first, the guitar string IC (sounds ridiculous I know) had much more air and smoothness but the bass was a bit shallow, and the imaging was weaker. So I decided to add a 2nd string to the positive side and after breaking it in a bit, the bass is there, the sound is clean, smooth, airy and natural. The imaging is good but perhaps not as good as the others mentioned.
Overall I am very impressed with the sound quality, and for those who think it should sound like shite, I beg to differ.
As I accumulate used strings over time, I may offer them if anyone wants to give it a go and post their impressions.
Who'd a thunk. Thanks for listening!

JCarney

« Reply #10 on: 28 Dec 2022, 03:12 pm »
Well done ric. Sounds like you had fun, and you got a good sounding set of cables. That's a win in my book, congratulations.

JCarney

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #11 on: 28 Dec 2022, 04:28 pm »
While I know nothing about guitar strings, I thought that they were chosen for their mechanical properties.
It's a long jump from a guitar string to an interconnect coax cable! (the most important part of the interconnect is the shield)

ric

« Reply #12 on: 29 Dec 2022, 02:35 pm »
Yes, it's a long jump, but given that sterling silver (if indeed true) is a mix of silver and copper, and that strings need to resonate and that junk metal would not make for a good guitar string, all may contribute to good sound both for strings and IC's.
   Now I'm wondering if there would be any sonic changes in sound if the strings were put under tension :icon_lol:

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #13 on: 29 Dec 2022, 06:07 pm »
So how would you tension the center conductor inside the shield of a coax cable?
But the answer is from an electronics point of view. In an interconnect cable it doesn't matter if the center conductor is gold, silver, special copper, copper or even aluminum they will all sound the same.

ric

« Reply #14 on: 30 Dec 2022, 02:41 pm »
I would disagree with them all sounding the same. Just look at iconoclast cable website and read reviews of cables that measure the same but are different types of copper. I have no experience in this area so I can't comment personally, and if this is your experience I have no doubt with what you are hearing. Others (apparently) hear differently. Happy listening!

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #15 on: 30 Dec 2022, 03:27 pm »
Those reviews often have overlooked uncontrolled variables. If there are real differences they will be in the shield construction and will be situation specific. And if there are audible differences there will be measurable differences, but it will take skill and the correct equipment to measure those differences.

Pez

« Reply #16 on: 30 Dec 2022, 05:05 pm »
In an interconnect cable it doesn't matter if the center conductor is gold, silver, special copper, copper or even aluminum they will all sound the same.

I challenge this assertion. What about conductivity? Copper has an IACS rating 100, silver is 107, gold is 70, and aluminum a mere 61. This is an oft overlook variable that matters substantially. On a subjective stance I have done extensive testing on silver and copper and can say without question that these two materials sound different all other variables being identical.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #17 on: 30 Dec 2022, 07:01 pm »
The end-to-end conductivity of a 100 inch copper wire is the same as a 107 inch silver wire of the same diameter. I don't read much about how shortening your cable a few inches improves the sound.
But for the center conductor of an interconnect into a 10,000 Ohm load, aluminum is more than adequate.
Also those conductivity numbers only apply if both wires are exactly the same length and diameter.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #18 on: 30 Dec 2022, 07:11 pm »
  I have listened to each type. They sound different. Especially Alum.

charles

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #19 on: 30 Dec 2022, 07:20 pm »
Once again 'overlooked uncontrolled variables'.