Mod Potential?

klao

Re: Mod Potential?
« Reply #40 on: 16 Jun 2020, 06:54 am »
Looking forward to this project, Dan.

I'm still enjoying your ModWright Oppo 95, BTW.

Cheers!

soundofrockets

« Reply #41 on: 26 Jun 2020, 09:44 pm »
Any updates on this project?

HT cOz

« Reply #42 on: 26 Jun 2020, 10:17 pm »
I had to repair my old Modwright with a new power supply to the front screen.   8) I’m playing them both and the old unit sounds better. To me it connects with the music better.  However I bet with the op amps out of the new unit and a Modwright output stage it would be an awesome unit. 

Definitely following this development.

nature boy

« Reply #43 on: 27 Jun 2020, 12:07 am »
Update: Don't mean to speak for Dan, but he sent me an email yesterday and said he has been slammed with equipment backorders. As a result of the Covid-19 situation, its just he and his son building units for the time being, putting in 12 hour work days.  Hopefully, he is getting some rest as well. So the Cambridge CXN V2 modifications appear to have been delayed for just a little bit. 

I'm sure that Dan will share information and some photo's with all of us when he can. Hang in there guys, I understand "the wait will be well worth it".

Cheers,

NB

HT cOz

« Reply #44 on: 28 Jun 2020, 05:05 pm »
Update: Don't mean to speak for Dan, but he sent me an email yesterday and said he has been slammed with equipment backorders. As a result of the Covid-19 situation, its just he and his son building units for the time being, putting in 12 hour work days.  Hopefully, he is getting some rest as well. So the Cambridge CXN V2 modifications appear to have been delayed for just a little bit. 

I'm sure that Dan will share information and some photo's with all of us when he can. Hang in there guys, I understand "the wait will be well worth it".

Cheers,

NB

I saw a post on fb from Dan and he seems extremely busy managing the builds during these challenging times. We will wait patiently.  In the meantime here is a great new review https://youtu.be/N8bSQSFm56E

senna1a

« Reply #45 on: 19 Jul 2020, 03:35 pm »
I know this may take some time, but tracking along and interested as well.

HT cOz

« Reply #46 on: 8 Sep 2020, 11:15 pm »
Here is an update from FB.

From Dan “ And so it begins...Finally getting the rubber on the road for the Cambridhe Audio CXN tube mod. Differential 6922 tube based analog stage with fully balanced and RCA out, transformer coupled with no caps in the signal path.

Dedicated tube and DAC supplies of our own design, all in a one box solution. Not sure that tube rectification will be feasible.

Next step is to breadboard the circuit, integrate with DAC and layout the PCB.

The circuit topology for the mod is based on the Elyse DAC ($6900) analog stage. This circuit also evolved into our $10K LS 300. So it will be very good!

Pricing is still TBD, but intro pricing is $1500, just for the mod. You supply the Cambridge CXN DAC/streamer.

I already have several units here and we are keeping a list of those who are intersted also. If you want to be on that list, please post here, PM me.”

From Dan “ Cambridge CXN Mod Design coming along nicely!”

RonP

« Reply #47 on: 19 Sep 2020, 05:22 pm »
I think this is going to be my Christmas present to myself!

Looking forward to this Dan!

modwright

« Reply #48 on: 29 Sep 2020, 04:18 pm »
Hi guys and thank you so much for your patience and support. This has been a rough year and things are not moving as quickly as I would like.

The PCB layout is done and the analog stage and analog filters, supplies, etc. all bread-boarded and proven. This is going to sound GREAT!!!

I am sending off the PCBs for production today, after double checking all mechanical coordination. This should take about a week to get them back. I will then start assembling and testing the first unit.

The design I settled on for the analog stage is based on both the Elyse DAC and the LS 300 preamp ($10K!). The mod will be offered starting at $1500! You must supply the Cambridge unit.

The design has no capacitors in the signal path. A differential signal is taken directly from the dual mono Wolfson DACs into a fully balanced, transformer coupled, 6922 based circuit. Both RCA and fully balanced XLR outputs are fed via the tube circuitry. The tube stage is powered by our own supply and we are also providing a dedicated supply for the DAC section, also of our own design. Power supply and all analog circuitry is in one box, much like the Transporter. Rectification is SS, not tube, due to space and heat constraints.

The Cambridge CXN is the first 'Swiss Army Knife' unit that I have seen since the Slim Devices Transporter, except the technology and capabilities are FAR beyond! It is a streamer/DAC, not a player, so it won't replace the Oppo 205 in this regard, but for all things digital, streamed or otherwise, this offers a fantastic one-box solution!

Again, I thank you all for your patience and support. I hope that this finds you safe and well!

Sincerely,

Dan W.

nature boy

« Reply #49 on: 29 Sep 2020, 04:24 pm »
Great news Dan. Thanks for sharing and hope the rest of 2020 is easier for you.

NB

modwright

« Reply #50 on: 29 Sep 2020, 04:32 pm »
Thank you! I hope that the rest of 2020 is better for ALL of us!

Dan

mr_bill

« Reply #51 on: 29 Sep 2020, 07:33 pm »
Hi Dan,
Have you heard the results of your Cambridge mod yet or is it too early to say?

modwright

« Reply #52 on: 29 Sep 2020, 09:03 pm »
Too early to say, but I have a good handle on the stock unit and it is good!

I also know how the circuit sounds, so I have NO DOUBT that it will be outstanding! Once I get everything installed, I will adjust and voice the circuit until I am happy of course.

Very good things to come!

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

« Reply #53 on: 8 Oct 2020, 10:46 pm »
I am waiting for the final PCBs to be delivered any day now! I just wanted to give an update here.

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

« Reply #54 on: 20 Oct 2020, 10:21 pm »
OK guys, I got the PCBs in and they test good!

Tomorrow it is going to all move into the DAC for REAL testing!

I have the circuit design complete.
I have the mechanical logistics of it all worked out.
I have the levels engineered based on incoming and outgoing.

Tomorrow I just have to see how it makes music!

I am quite excited because I know how the LS 300 sounds and it was based on the Elyse DAC analog stage.

This is going to be great!

Dan

HT cOz

« Reply #55 on: 2 Nov 2020, 04:50 pm »
New developments for this project

modwright

« Reply #56 on: 2 Nov 2020, 05:16 pm »
First unit ships this week!!!

I have the analog filters finalized and mechanical fitup also complete.

I have only to finalize a power switching decision and RCA/XLR output configuration.

I am very pleased with the result!

Thanks,

Dan

nature boy

« Reply #57 on: 10 Nov 2020, 07:11 pm »
Here is a Facebook link to additional pictures and discussion of the CXN V2 mods from Modwright.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3639789836085334&id=100001630611649&sfnsn=mo

NB

modwright

« Reply #58 on: 10 Nov 2020, 07:40 pm »
First unit ships today! I have the second unit in house and a list of people waiting to schedule start dates.

I will post more photos here today.

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

« Reply #59 on: 11 Nov 2020, 11:50 pm »

Photos of the first Cambridge CXN Tube Mod!

Note: There is no finish plate on the top, around the tubes. This is still being finalized at the engraver. It will look sharp!