Woofer tech

naboo

Woofer tech
« on: 16 Jun 2020, 09:53 am »
Hi - I've spent a couple of days reading forums and watching some of Danny's videos (thanks a lot, by the way, I'm learning loads). I'm leaning towards something in the X-series, but still looking at options. I understand that Danny bought the woofers when the previous company went under. But I see that it's from years ago, so I can't help but wonder two things (and please pardon my ignorance - i am a beginner with audio tech):
1)Do woofers and tweeters not have some sort of shelf life if they don't get used? Or can it sit for years and years with no impact?
2)I work in the IT industry, where the tech is really fast moving. This is true of electronics in general - look how cheap class D amp kits are. Do woofers and tweeters not follow the same rate of progress? Are materials from ten years ago still relevant today? I read, for instance, that the B&W606 speaker is made from some or other material that was first introduced in much more expensive models.

Thanks in advance for any explanations.

Martin

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Woofer tech
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2020, 04:40 pm »
Except for a few exotics, woofers are built much the same as they were a hundred years ago... the interaction of two magnetic fields causing attraction and repulsion.  The magnets have improved and their interaction with voice coils, cone material has been slightly improved, but overall, an excellent woofer from 40 years ago might still be an excellent woofer today.  One exception is the surround material.  Thankfully, those horrible foam surrounds from the 70's have mostly rotted out and have been replace with better quality rubber.  Even the really old folded paper or cloth surrounds were better. 
Anyway, the short answer is that Danny's stock from 7-8 years ago is still fine. 
Scott

naboo

Re: Woofer tech
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2020, 06:40 pm »
Thanks Scott.