Spatial Audio - New X Class Product Announcement

RonN5

Re: Spatial Audio - New X Class Product Announcement
« Reply #20 on: 12 Mar 2019, 09:09 pm »
Clayton....presumably then, passive mid/treble means that the customer's amplifier drives the mid/treble while the ncore handles the bottom end?

Also, where would the ncore be located, mounted to the speaker, on the ground behind the speaker or along side you customer's amp and then running to sets of speaker wires to each speaker?

Also, can you shed some light on what 2d baffle means?

thanks!

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #21 on: 12 Mar 2019, 09:41 pm »
In the link Clayton provided in the first post above, the last bullet says

Plug and Play Installation - Single Speaker Wire Hookup

I think this indicates the N Core amp is located either in or near the speaker, and you only run one set of speaker cables from your amp to each speaker.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #22 on: 12 Mar 2019, 11:11 pm »
Hi Jeff,

In the X3/X5 announcement, I was thinking more about improvements over the M3 Series and prototypes I have worked on in the under $10K price category. These are way better. Although, we don't use servo control in this series, the bass performance is pretty shocking compared to the passive bass approach. To answer your question, the new models are an improvement over the X2 for the same reasons in some areas - powered OB woofer and dedicated 12 mid unit. Once you go to powered OB bass, there's no going back. Bruno Putzeys new N-Core DSP bass amp makes it possible to open up a whole new vista for Open Baffle. To implement it along with great drivers and solid construction is a real treat in this price category. I could not be happier with the way these models turned out.

Clayton

Agreed!!!  Powered OB bass is truly a game-changer. 

Spatial Audio

« Reply #23 on: 13 Mar 2019, 01:47 am »
Clayton....presumably then, passive mid/treble means that the customer's amplifier drives the mid/treble while the ncore handles the bottom end?

Also, where would the ncore be located, mounted to the speaker, on the ground behind the speaker or along side you customer's amp and then running to sets of speaker wires to each speaker?

thanks!

Yes - the N Core amp drives only the bass driver, so the range above 100Hz is passive analog, driven by your amp operating at 8 Ohms and 97dB sensitivity. The amp mounts to the machined aluminum base plate with a 2 inch thick spacer.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #24 on: 13 Mar 2019, 06:39 pm »
Maybe I don't understand your question - but all the X series products use controlled directivity as a design principle. The X1 being the most extreme way to maximize it.

Sorry for the confusion, what I meant to say was... I'm sure the new X class models are way better than everything in the M class, but when it comes to the M class application of 80 degrees of controlled directivity with a point source, will that be exclusive to the X-1 in the X class?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #25 on: 13 Mar 2019, 07:34 pm »
I cannot edit the previous post, but it does clarify my original question to which Clayton moreless answered in his response.

KLH007

« Reply #26 on: 13 Mar 2019, 11:57 pm »
I can hardly wait until AXPONA to hear your new X-3 speakers Clayton. Work fast and give the demo pair a real break-in so they are at their best in Chicago. You have probably hit it out of the park by adding powered OB bass with DSP for room matching, and having 100Hz up at 97 dB so any low power finesse amp (or high power) will drive them with ease while still enjoying sensational bass impact. What room are you in at AXPONA?

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #27 on: 14 Mar 2019, 11:52 pm »
A quick check of the AXPONA site shows room 510: Spatial Audio, Modwright, Pure Fidelity and AntiCables

http://www.axpona.com/exhibitors.asp?list=company&s=510

Spatial Audio

« Reply #28 on: 15 Mar 2019, 12:45 am »
We have two rooms at Axpona 2019:

510 with Modwright driving the X3 and the X5.

696 with Linear Tube Audio driving the X3.

Clayton

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #29 on: 15 Mar 2019, 01:29 am »
One thing that's a little disconcerting about having an OB speaker that's 97db and has a fully active bass section.  You throw a little 10 watt amp on it and even with 10 watts you still get this huge, massive sound with insane, crushing bass.  The first time I did it, there were more than a few moments of cognitive dissonance. 

Personally I can't wait to hear these at RMAF, I think they are absolutely brilliant designs.

yakbob

« Reply #30 on: 15 Mar 2019, 12:35 pm »
As the proud owner of the M3 Turbo S, I'm having a hard time not reaching for my wallet to splash for those X3s. I have active LF drivers in my budget priced office system, and they take the heavy lifting off my ancient Dynaco. Really looking forward to photos (regardless of quality) and listener reports.   :popcorn:

The X5 and X3 address what I feel is an main issue with the PAP designs, AMT or other HF drivers at knee height.

Birdbrain

« Reply #31 on: 15 Mar 2019, 01:24 pm »

thanks!

2D baffle = 2" deep.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a pair of M3 Turbos, when an unexpected hospital stay left me paying $6500 out of pocket.  :(

Maybe it was for the best, I would have been p.o.ed if these came out right after I bought M3s.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #32 on: 16 Mar 2019, 01:58 am »
Hey Clayton - These X series speakers are really enticing - I may make RMAF 2019 to do a bit of shopping.  Currently love my M3TM's and a pair of GR Research's dual servo OB subs - I like to think of it as a poor man's Lumina (but then, I like to think that I look like George Clooney and not a 72 yr old bald fat couch potato).  I have a couple of questions.  First, in a 3K cubic ft room, which speaker? Do you think the pair of OB subs will add anything to either of these?
Thanks,
Glynn

Spatial Audio

« Reply #33 on: 16 Mar 2019, 02:12 am »
Hey Clayton - These X series speakers are really enticing - I may make RMAF 2019 to do a bit of shopping.  Currently love my M3TM's and a pair of GR Research's dual servo OB subs - I like to think of it as a poor man's Lumina (but then, I like to think that I look like George Clooney and not a 72 yr old bald fat couch potato).  I have a couple of questions.  First, in a 3K cubic ft room, which speaker? Do you think the pair of OB subs will add anything to either of these?
Thanks,
Glynn

Hello Glynn,

I am assuming your room is something like 15x25 with 8ft ceiling. Its hard to say if the servo subs would improve the system-probably is the answer, but at the expense of being more complex. Simplicity is important to me and to most customers I talk to. If you did continue with the GR, I would crossover them over fairly low in frequency. It should work great.

Clayton

JackD

« Reply #34 on: 16 Mar 2019, 03:13 am »
Clayton

If you already have the M3TM's in place with dual subs and dialed in wouldn't just moving to the X2 be the simpler upgrade?  There is a nine month old pair in black for sale in Seattle.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #35 on: 16 Mar 2019, 03:14 am »
Thanks for the reply, Clayton.  Room is 20 x20 x 8.25 with a closet sticking out on one wall.   So should be about 3000 cu ft.  Is larger X3 woofer required in this size room?  Appeal of X3/5 is related to their 97 dB efficiency vs 91 for the X2.  I have a 2A3 amp I often use and a pair of 45 monos on order, so higher efficiency is more gooder.

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
« Reply #36 on: 16 Mar 2019, 02:38 pm »
Glynn:
I also run my M4TM's with stereo OB subwoofers, which are diy Ripoles using one 12" dia. Peerless driver in each channel. I have ben trying different setup configurations: 1. M4's full range and the subwoofers crossed at 50 hz from the main amp. outputs 2. crossover at 100 hz with hp and lp 12db filters using the Pass Labs lx mini configured for that and the same using the minidsp 2x4hd digital xover. I can play here with different parameters but it has been evident that 2nd order at 80-100 hz works best. Not having my main amp. reproducing the entire frequency range makes the systen sound efortlessness and more fluid.
Other philosophies maintain that leaving the main speakers full range is better, but I have not been able to ascertain this. So my question is, how do you have your setup with the M3's?

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #37 on: 16 Mar 2019, 05:26 pm »
I use the M3TMs full range with the subs coming in at 80 hz.  I have always felt that the high-pass crossover in most subs was probably not made to same standards as the crossover in the speakers.

Spatial Audio

« Reply #38 on: 17 Mar 2019, 11:54 pm »
Just to be clear regarding the hook up of the X3 and X5 with self-powered bass:

There are one set of WBT speaker terminals on the input panel (spade or banana). Plug in your speaker leads as with a normal speaker. Plug in the included power cords for the Hypex amps to the your wall outlet. The Hypex amp gets its music signal from leads coming out the input panel which feed the high level input on the amp.

So, no interconnects are needed - just plug and go.

Clayton

davek

« Reply #39 on: 25 Mar 2019, 11:31 pm »
Hi Clayton, these new X series designs look real enticing. I've been waiting for an OB powered sub with an AMT driver, the X3 especially cause of its size, checks off all the boxes. Just want to know:
- Will the DSP powered section be user controllable to allow for optimum room placement?
- How does the X3/5 AMT compare to the X2 driver?

Looking forward to the reviews at the show, good luck to you, I wish I could get there in person.