The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

Danny Richie

Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #800 on: 25 Sep 2019, 03:41 pm »
Danny -- can you give us a few more details on what you're working on?? Will your pricing for comparable Neo10's be much more reasonable? 

We know this kind of stuff takes time and you're probably reluctant to reveal too much too soon, but even a liberal ballpark estimate on the possibility of working something out would be helpful. A friend wants to build the Super 7's, but he won't wait forever.

Let's just say that I have tested some samples, and they were off the mark a bit. I am having some changes made and having the diaphragm damped more like the original BG version. I am also going to make a change that I had made to our planar tweeters. I am going to have high purity Copper terminals used instead of having them made from Tin (or whatever). 

I await samples.

Early B.

« Reply #801 on: 25 Sep 2019, 04:52 pm »
Let's just say that I have tested some samples, and they were off the mark a bit. I am having some changes made and having the diaphragm damped more like the original BG version. I am also going to make a change that I had made to our planar tweeters. I am going to have high purity Copper terminals used instead of having them made from Tin (or whatever). 

I await samples.

Thanks, Danny. This is very helpful.

mikeeastman

« Reply #802 on: 27 Sep 2019, 07:31 pm »
I’m about to upgrade all  the wiring in my system and replace my streamer, dac, amp with an all in one. Now I have a low pass on my sub out that is in between my dac and amp that feeds a Iso Max that feeds my subs.

In my new set up this won’t work, so I was going to either eliminate the low pass all togather or use some  Fmod attenuators inline with the subs. Do I need the low pass? If I use the Fmods what frequency should I use and does it matter if they are  plugged into the Iso Max or into the sub amps?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #803 on: 27 Sep 2019, 07:57 pm »
I’m about to upgrade all  the wiring in my system and replace my streamer, dac, amp with an all in one. Now I have a low pass on my sub out that is in between my dac and amp that feeds a Iso Max that feeds my subs.

In my new set up this won’t work, so I was going to either eliminate the low pass all togather or use some  Fmod attenuators inline with the subs. Do I need the low pass? If I use the Fmods what frequency should I use and does it matter if they are  plugged into the Iso Max or into the sub amps?

You don't need a low pass as your sub amps have a variable low pass crossover already built in. 

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #804 on: 27 Sep 2019, 08:02 pm »
I’m a big fan of the Dennis Had ‘Inspire’ amps.  Particularly the single ended pentode mate well with the Super 7 and they also give you a ton of tube rolling options.

These look really great.  Sadly the whole whole eBay bidding situation pushes them out of my price range.  Maybe if I can sell my current amps.  It never ends.

Tyson

« Reply #805 on: 27 Sep 2019, 08:06 pm »
These look really great.  Sadly the whole whole eBay bidding situation pushes them out of my price range.  Maybe if I can sell my current amps.  It never ends.

This is probably the best single ended pentode version that he makes, and going $1550 delivered (no bidding).  $1550 for a hand built, point to point wired tube amp from someone like Had is a pretty good deal, IMO:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153649693112

On the other hand, the budget is the budget and if it's out of the budget price range, that's just how it goes...

Edit to add:  Part of the reason I like his design so much is that it only requires 2 output pentode tubes.  My prior pentode tube amps all required 4 output tubes.  The nice thing about the Inspire amp is that I can definitely afford some really nice NOS tubes in pairs, but definitely NOT afford those same NOS tubes as matched quads. 

Add to that the fact that you can roll a ton of different pentodes, that makes it close to the bargain of the century, IMO.  For example, tubes I have already rolled in my amp include:  EL84, 6F6, 807, 6BG6-GA, 6CA7, 6K6, 6V6, 6L6, 6L6GC, EL34, KT66, KT77, KT88, 6550, KT150, and a couple others that escape me at the moment.

mikeeastman

« Reply #806 on: 27 Sep 2019, 08:42 pm »
Thanks Tyson.  :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #807 on: 27 Sep 2019, 10:20 pm »

Mike
Are you sure that's how it's setup right now ?   I thought you  had  one leg ging unfiltered to the sub amps and  the other  high passed to the main   amp  for the  S7's ?  ( inline cap)
   If I'm correct  and this is how   it's setup, going  without the high pass  inline cap   will cause the  Neo10's to roll off natually instead of  of having  a cap roll them off... you  should be ok.   I'm running  mine like that as  my  ISO Max trans is  high level input so I need the full signal going  to the   main amp.

jay

Tyson

« Reply #808 on: 27 Sep 2019, 10:33 pm »
I also run my super 7s with a full signal going to the panels.  Never had any issues.

mikeeastman

« Reply #809 on: 27 Sep 2019, 11:33 pm »
Your right Jay, pretty bad when some eles know your system better than you.  :lol:  Thanks

SoCalWJS

« Reply #810 on: 28 Sep 2019, 01:07 am »
I also run my super 7s with a full signal going to the panels.  Never had any issues.
Ah yes, but with fairly low power (I think). I'd be a bit more concerned with larger amps.

Captainhemo

« Reply #811 on: 28 Sep 2019, 02:06 am »
Your right Jay, pretty bad when some eles know your system better than you.  :lol:  Thanks

Hey Mike,   all good man was  just  making sure   you didn't have some  different config  for some reason....

I  think  you'll really  enjoy  what  you've got  coming down the pipe  :thumb:

jay

AKLegal

« Reply #812 on: 28 Sep 2019, 02:07 am »
Ah yes, but with fairly low power (I think). I'd be a bit more concerned with larger amps.

I run mine full signal to the panels from a Hegel H360.  I'd be more concerned with clipping from a low power amp than any danger from a higher powered one.  Youd be super hard pressed to find an amp that would clip while driving the Super 7s though.

Captainhemo

« Reply #813 on: 28 Sep 2019, 02:32 am »

well,   nice thing about the  s7's is they are fairly eficient  so not likely to have to push them overly  hard.    In the case of a very large room  or someone who likes it   extremely  loud, I'd be more concerned with a low powered amp as opposed to a high powered amp.
Like AKL states above, With  a low powered amp you'll likely encounter clipping  earlier and that   is  where the isues  willl  probably  start....

Tyson

« Reply #814 on: 28 Sep 2019, 02:37 am »
I run mine full signal to the panels from a Hegel H360.  I'd be more concerned with clipping from a low power amp than any danger from a higher powered one.  Youd be super hard pressed to find an amp that would clip while driving the Super 7s though.

That's true!  At 97db efficiency and a flat 8 ohm impedance, they are super easy to drive.  Even listening at an average level of 85db (quite loud), that's only using .07 watts.  And 2 watts will get you up to 100db. 

I use mine in my HT, I've run them at some really insane levels with certain movies, never even a hiccup. 

With my Type 45 amp, it's only 2 watts, I can get close to reference levels for home theater, but at the very, very loudest passages, the amp runs out of gas and stops getting louder.  However, with my 10 watt Inspire monoblock amps, I don't run out of gas. 

If I had a bigger space than my dedicated basement area, I might have to use a 30 watt amp for that level of insanity. 

titaniumheads

« Reply #815 on: 30 Sep 2019, 06:40 pm »
I have tried three different tube amps and a couple solid state amps and my super 7s sound best to me with my Rowland 525 class D monos. I had some friends over this weekend and after each beer the
volume level kept creeping up. At some point when Morphine was playing I checked the DBs with my old trusty Radio shack meter and it was 103 sustained and 109 peaks. They didnt sound strained at all and I know that is not good for the speakers or ears but Damn did they sound good!

mikeeastman

« Reply #816 on: 14 Oct 2019, 06:23 pm »
I'm starting upgrades to my system and one upgrade is to replace my Mills resistors in my x-over with a PathAudio ones. I just unpacked the PathAudio ones and see there is an extra wire coming out of it, what does it connect to?

Tyson

« Reply #817 on: 14 Oct 2019, 06:40 pm »
I'm starting upgrades to my system and one upgrade is to replace my Mills resistors in my x-over with a PathAudio ones. I just unpacked the PathAudio ones and see there is an extra wire coming out of it, what does it connect to?

Ground.

mikeeastman

« Reply #818 on: 14 Oct 2019, 07:03 pm »
Helpfull as always, thanks.

mikeeastman

« Reply #819 on: 14 Oct 2019, 07:04 pm »
What do I ground it to? or do I need to connect it?