Help me pick a phono stage

brooklyn

Help me pick a phono stage
« on: 6 Aug 2020, 06:11 am »
Hi Everyone,

I was looking for some help in picking a phono stage for my vinyl rig.. I somehow got back into vinyl and I’m not sorry I did, it sounds wonderful.. I just want to take it to the next level with a different phono stage and my experience with them is limited.

My vinyl system at present is a VPI Aries 2 with a 101/2 arm. I recently got a great deal on a new SoundSmith Aida MK 2 MI Cartridge, that’s braking in nicely. The phono stage I’m using at the moment is the Graham Slee Special Edition 2.. In my last system I had the GS ERA Gold V which seemed flawless in that system.. The rest of the system consist of Magnepan .7 speakers, a Bel Canto REF500S amp and a Prima Luna EVO 100 preamp..

The price point I’m looking at is $1500, new or used.. I’ve narrowed my choices down to these phono stages.. Parasound JC 3 Jr, a Graham Slee Accession, Sutherland Insight and finally a Gold Note PH-10.. Space is a premium on my rack so the size of any of these I have listed will work.. I’m kinda confused with choosing a phono stage that will sound good in my system.. I don’t believe I would get into a low output moving coil cartridge in the future but I said that about vinyl. ..lol.. Solid state is preferable.

Thanks for any insight you might have to offer.
Jerry

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Re: Help me pick a phono stage
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2020, 12:50 pm »
I have been using the Goldnote PH-10. Works well, easy to use. No small switches to deal with. All SS, fully adjustable with the turn of the knob. Nice screen to view the adjustments.
Ability to connect two turntables and easily switch between the two. Will work with almost any cartridge. Sound is very good!
Purchased this new $1300.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2020, 02:25 pm »
If you are used to the Graham Slee sound and are happy with it, I'd buy the Accession.  I like the highs and mids of the Gold.  My Dodd is more solid on bass, but they are very comparable overall. 

DinaMoe

« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2020, 07:58 pm »
If you do decide to go with a tubed phono stage, you can not go wrong with the Chinook from Manley Labs.

Check it.

https://www.manley.com/hifi/mch

tom739

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2020, 10:53 pm »
I like the Sutherland. I would go with best Sutherland you can afford. I have the 20/20, very nice!

mhconley

« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2020, 12:22 am »
I use a Pro-Ject Phono Box RS and am very happy with it.

Martin

sturgus

« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2020, 12:33 am »
Try out the Slee Ascension since they have the home loaner. I am a bit biased since I own the Ascension. It's everything the Gold is, just better.

brooklyn

« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2020, 04:31 am »
I actually was starting to lean in the direction of the Ascension even though I wanted try something new.. Because I couldn’t make up my mind, I hesitated and let a very nice pre-owned Ascension go by at a decent price.. I recently put a whole system together with out going too crazy but now, I’m having a problem buying a phono preamp.. WTF

Anyway..
I appreciate the help so far, it’s always good to hear what other members think.

Bob Stark

« Reply #8 on: 12 Sep 2020, 05:02 am »
Hey Jerry,

Just another suggestion--sell the Prima Luna preamp and buy an Audible Illusion 3A preamp with phono built in.  You would save on power cords, ICs, and the AI preamp is excellent with an outstanding phono section.  I had an AI 2D preamp with phono for about 18 years and loved it.  I sold it and bought a used AI 3A w/ MC phono built by John Curl--even better sound with a LOMC cartridge.  The AI preamps are very reliable if you stay with the AI tubes and not some one elses.  Beautiful sound with a SS amp.  The 3A can be had used for about $1100-1400 and the MC version for about $1400-1600.  You would save room on your rack and never regret having separate preamp and phono stages as the AI would be at least as good and much less money.  I only sold mine because I went whole hog and got a used TRL DUDE preamp and it took me a long time trying out separate phono preamps to find a combo with the DUDE that was as nice sounding.  I tried the Allnic H-1200, Herron VTPH-2A, Audio Horizons TP-8.13.  I settled on the Whest RDT 3.0 SE.  The combo with the DUDE was 4-5 times more expensive than the AI 3A w/John Curl MC phono by itself.  Yes, the combo does have it's areas that are somewhat superior, BUT...I'm not sure I'm enjoying the sound more. 

Bob

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 12 Sep 2020, 09:39 am »
Phono stage with the big tone of 6sn7 are a special sound.

Escott1377

« Reply #10 on: 12 Sep 2020, 12:25 pm »
I apologize for mentioning since it is not on your list, but we have somewhat similar gear.

I have Prima Luna Dialogue 7 mono blocs, a VPI Classic 1, and a Soundsmith Voice.

I sold my Manley Chinook that is a great phono stage and bought a Lehmann Audio Decade. 

It is right at the price point that you mention and has a separate power supply which is 1 of the reasons I chose it.  I also have a few too many tubes in my set up - pre, amp, and DAC :)

Good luck with your search - I have enjoyed my unit and would not hesitate to recommend the piece I mentioned :)

brooklyn

« Reply #11 on: 12 Sep 2020, 03:54 pm »
Hey Jerry,

Just another suggestion--sell the Prima Luna preamp and buy an Audible Illusion 3A preamp with phono built in.  You would save on power cords, ICs, and the AI preamp is excellent with an outstanding phono section.  I had an AI 2D preamp with phono for about 18 years and loved it.  I sold it and bought a used AI 3A w/ MC phono built by John Curl--even better sound with a LOMC cartridge.  The AI preamps are very reliable if you stay with the AI tubes and not some one elses.  Beautiful sound with a SS amp.  The 3A can be had used for about $1100-1400 and the MC version for about $1400-1600.  You would save room on your rack and never regret having separate preamp and phono stages as the AI would be at least as good and much less money.  I only sold mine because I went whole hog and got a used TRL DUDE preamp and it took me a long time trying out separate phono preamps to find a combo with the DUDE that was as nice sounding.  I tried the Allnic H-1200, Herron VTPH-2A, Audio Horizons TP-8.13.  I settled on the Whest RDT 3.0 SE.  The combo with the DUDE was 4-5 times more expensive than the AI 3A w/John Curl MC phono by itself.  Yes, the combo does have it's areas that are somewhat superior, BUT...I'm not sure I'm enjoying the sound more. 

Bob

Hi Bob
I think your suggestion is an excellent one. Had I not just put this system together which I really like, I might have given it a shot..

brooklyn

« Reply #12 on: 12 Sep 2020, 03:54 pm »
I apologize for mentioning since it is not on your list, but we have somewhat similar gear.

I have Prima Luna Dialogue 7 mono blocs, a VPI Classic 1, and a Soundsmith Voice.

I sold my Manley Chinook that is a great phono stage and bought a Lehmann Audio Decade. 

It is right at the price point that you mention and has a separate power supply which is 1 of the reasons I chose it.  I also have a few too many tubes in my set up - pre, amp, and DAC :)

Good luck with your search - I have enjoyed my unit and would not hesitate to recommend the piece I mentioned :)

No apologizes necessary, I actually have given the Lehmann some consideration as a possible choice and still wouldn’t count it out.. It is interesting that you have a similar system like me. I might have to give the Lehmann another look..

displayname

« Reply #13 on: 21 Sep 2020, 03:29 pm »
I like the Sutherland. I would go with best Sutherland you can afford. I have the 20/20, very nice!
I agree with this suggestion. Love my 20/20, and they have a pretty deep product line now with solid upgrade paths and do a good job of hitting several price points.

brooklyn

« Reply #14 on: 22 Sep 2020, 04:13 pm »
I agree with this suggestion. Love my 20/20, and they have a pretty deep product line now with solid upgrade paths and do a good job of hitting several price points.

I’ve been trying to decide between a Sutherland Insight and a Gold Note PH-10 for a while now.. I always try to buy American when possible, I also like no frill gear with a very simple design and good reviews are very helpful, the Sutherland seems to checks all of those boxes..

I’m now starting to like convenience after all of these years so the Gold Note is also very compelling to me right now.. I recently purchased a VPI Aries 2 which has VTA on the fly. I would have never bought something like that in the past but I already found it to be very helpful with dialing in my cartridge.

I am on the verge of making a decision very soon but I always have an eye out for a good deal on a used gear.. I guess that’s what I’ve been waiting for.. Stay tuned.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 22 Sep 2020, 05:09 pm »
The 20/20 here too. A great sounding phono stage, that turns off my HiFi brain completely, yet gives the right amount of detail to satisfy. It has a glorious sounding midrange. It gets that completely right, and the bass is perhaps the best I have ever heard from any source.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #16 on: 22 Sep 2020, 06:23 pm »
Spent some time last evening dialing in a cartridge I purchased from another AC member.
Making adjustments with the Goldnote PH10 is quick and easy. I could also compare 2 different cartridges on the same record by switching output from one cart to the other with a push on the knob with a 2 second delay. Not why I bought the Goldnote but it is nice to have.

Just sayin!

brooklyn

« Reply #17 on: 29 Sep 2020, 01:34 am »
Well, after trying to decide on a phono pre-amp for the last few weeks I finally made a decision. The last two units on my short list were the Gold Note PH-10 and the Sutherland Insight.. I finally decided to go with the convenience of the Gold Note.

While I was waiting for it to be delivered two audiophile friends of mine decided at the same time to buy the Sutherland 20/20 with a power supply spur of the moment. I got a call from one of them telling me how he couldn’t believe what he was hearing out of his albums, best he’s ever heard.

You know what I was thinking.. right? Maybe I should have given this some more thought. So yesterday the Gold Note arrives, I’m listening to it right now.. It was very easy to set up and start listening, the menu on the front panel was very intuitive. I’m listening to an old Joan Baez album right now, it’s the best I’ve ever heard in my system and it’s only been a couple of hours so far.. The Gold Note has made a huge step up in the sound of my vinyl front end.

Not wanting to be out done by my two buddies, I remember seeing a 20/20 online but didn’t pay much attention to it. When I went back to see it the price was attractive enough for me to buy it.. I’m waiting on it, should be here by the end of the week.. It should be a great comparison, in the mean time I like what I’m hearing with the Gold Note.. Yep.. I’m a screw ball. Man this hobby really plays with your mind.. believe me, it didn’t take much.

gnuyork

« Reply #18 on: 8 Oct 2020, 06:47 pm »
I am enjoying the Sutherland, I have the Duo and to me it is excellent.

jjss49

« Reply #19 on: 9 Oct 2020, 02:45 am »
sutherlands are excellent, some folks feel it can a little too smooth too suave, but to call that a 'negative' is really compliment

i second the recommendation above on one of the better lehmann's like the decade or even bc2se - nice small form factor as well...

another one that is very very good is the ayre k5xe - sooo quiet yet dynamic

good luck!