Xbox now down to $150

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Xbox now down to $150
« on: 5 Apr 2004, 01:49 am »
I just saw at WallyWorld today the the 'box is selling for $149.99 now.  No change in the P2 price so far, but it can't be far behind.  My 'box is a 1st Gen with the old drive that won't read a CD-R, so I might just have to pop for a new one before long (although it'll have to wait a little while- I just ordered a new Pioneer DVD burner for my PC).

Bemopti123

Wonder what is the better console
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2004, 02:55 am »

It is a great time for me when Soft has decided that their Xbox would compete better with a lower MSRP, but I still wonder what makes the Xbox more compelling than the competing consoles.  PS2 sounds to have the widest available batch of games, Gamecube is just very affordable, but games, sort of sparse, Xbox, aggressively designed hardware, but games do not seem to have a "hit" beyond the obvious Xbox owners.  How reliable are each?  This seems to be the mayor concern of all these consoles.  I still wonder.[/quote]

sunshinedawg

Xbox now down to $150
« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2004, 04:08 am »
If you have a Transworld store near you, they have a $30 MIR, making it $119 before tax.  Transworld includes:
FYE
Coconuts Music & Movies
Wherehouse Music
Strawberries
Spec's
Planet Music
Saturday Matinee

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Xbox now down to $150
« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2004, 04:13 am »
I've been a BIG Sony PS fan since the early days of the original Playstation.  So I really wanted the P2 to be the best, BUT...I have to admit the 'box totally crushes it.  The Xbox just annihilates it where speed, graphics & sound are concerned.  A thick layer of dust has covered my P2- I literally haven't played it for 10 hours in the last year.

The big problem with the P2 is that it's very underpowered for the software it has.  Slowdown is a big problem, and the framerate's choppy compared to the 'box.  The saddest thing is the utter lack of textues, reflection, etc that the 'box totally masters.

I also had a 'cube for about 3 weeks.  I just didn't like it; hated the controller, didn't like any of the games.  

The great advantage of the 'box is the hardware- it was a stroke of genius to add a HD.  The memory cards the P2 uses look laughable now.

Sound is another area where the Xbox is unchallenged.  Every single 'box game I've ever played has a Dolby Digital surround soundtrack, in-game in real time.  Staggering improvement, and not just a gimmick.  In HALO you can hear where your enemies are d/t the surround sound!

I still have a soft spot for the PSX franchise, and I hope Sony takes the crown again with the P3.  But marketing/sales aside, the 'box is the undisputed champ.  Funnily enough, though, Sony is eating their lunch, sales wise.  Guess that's not hard to see in a world where B(l)ose probably sells 100 pairs of speakers for every one VMPS sells.

sunshinedawg

Xbox now down to $150
« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2004, 04:21 am »
I have to agree.  I really like Gran Turismo and the PS. However, Halo is simply the best home console game I've ever played and the xbox is just better than the playstation.  Looking forward to Halo 2.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Xbox now down to $150
« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2004, 04:25 am »
I really am not a fan of driving/racing games, but Gotham Racing is by far the most amazing one I've ever seen.  It's just hypnotic!  One of my favorite elements is the ability to rip your own songs to the HD and set them as the soundtrack to your races.  And I havent' even seen the new GR2 yet.

Bemopti123

Xbox now down to $150
« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2004, 12:03 pm »
:mrgreen: Thanks for the tip Sunshineawg!  I think I have a Coconuts near me, so it might be a closed deal with the Xbox.  How is the reliability of this console?

sunshinedawg

Xbox now down to $150
« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2004, 03:58 pm »
Quote from: Bemopti123
:mrgreen: Thanks for the tip Sunshineawg!  I think I have a Coconuts near me, so it might be a closed deal with the Xbox.  How is the reliability of this console?

In generally they are fairly reliable.  After a long while and much play,  some lasers are unable to read games and give a dirty disc error.  New lasers only cost about $25-$30 and aren't  too bad to install from what i've heard.

Bemopti123

Other possibilities of the functionality of the Xbox?
« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2004, 06:13 pm »
I am doing my prebuying scouting about possible mods, hacks that at will do two things:

1- to make the DVD player code free, so I can play my burgeoning collection of foreign DVDs.

2-to increase the size of the HD...I do not know if there is a clear purpose on this, but I guess the bigger the better, especially for ripping CDs into music files.

BTW, has any here done one, two or all of the above?  How easy is ripping CD tracks onto it?  

Are there any other uses of the Xbox, for it seems to me more like a stripped down computer that is outfitted for games, rather than a console that wants to be a computer....  The possibilities here would be endless.  Anyway, too much time to kill and too many wild ideas about a console that I will end up getting.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Xbox now down to $150
« Reply #9 on: 5 Apr 2004, 08:37 pm »
I haven't modded mine but all the things you list are routinely done.  http://www.screensavers.com did a big feature a ways back on Xbox hacks.

As far as ripping music, it's really easy.  If you hack it & install a larger drive there are a lot of things you can do (although Xbox Live won't let a modded 'box online to play games).

You're right- it really is a Pentium computer that's been told it's a console.

mcrespo71

Xbox now down to $150
« Reply #10 on: 5 Apr 2004, 08:37 pm »
As an owner of all 3 consoles (4 if you include the Dreamcast), I'll pipe in and say that no one console crushes the others.  If you are a serious gamer like I am, then you really need all 3 because there is always some great exclusive on one or the other console.  

I'll some up my thoughts on the three consoles:

PS2- gigantic library of games, best sports games by far with EA online only for PS2, best driving sims, and king of RPG's.  Has the best packed in DVD player- it is progressive scan where the Xbox is not.  Poorly made- I'm on my second one.

Xbox- Has the best sound and some really great games graphically, though there are more than a few GCN games that are the equal of any Xbox title (I think any of the hardware, including PS2, can produce astonishing graphics- it's the implementation of the game designers software to the hardware that elicit great graphics, though Xbox has the most capacity IF designers take advantage of it.)  The hard drive on the Xbox rocks and it has the best FPS IMO.  Also, Xbox online is the best online service.  Xbox is also unreliably made, especially if you have the HORRIBLE Thomson drive.  I'm on my 2nd Xbox.

GCN- Good graphics, very portable, NO ONLINE, decent sound and it is kept afloat by the best software developer on the planet- NINTENDO and some important exclusives with Konami and Capcom.  If you like adventure games or platformers, this is by far the best system for those types of games.  If children are going to be the main gamers, then the GCN rules for them, though it is getting more mature titles.

If you want one system, I'd choose the one that matches the types of games you like to play.  ANY of them are good, if you aren't so sure about what types of games you like, I'd go with the PS2.  It has the largest library of games and, ultimately, it's all about the games.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Xbox now down to $150
« Reply #11 on: 5 Apr 2004, 08:49 pm »
One really nice thing about the P2 is that it'll play the old PSX games.  I really do still love to play Diablo; aside from the new Risk game it's the only reason I ever turn mine on anymore.

I really did love my DC back in the day.  It's a damn shame the Sega got out of the console biz altogether.

I won't argue with you, mcrespo71, about the console vs console deal.  You're right, if there's a certain game you want that's only one certain console, then by all means go for it.  But I do disagree that the consoles have equal merits- I've never seen anything on the Cube or P2 that can even begin to come close to the 'box for technical prowess (yes, I'm a "4 console guy", too- until I sold my Cube.  Still got the DC.  Could probably dig up an original NES and a very dusty Genesis if I had too! ).

EA might be the big name, but I thing the 'box pretty much rules the sports gaming market completely (I don't mean by sales, just my own regard for them).  That and the 1st person shooter are areas they can't be touched.  The box has some pretty good RPGs, too, and the only tolerable flight sim type games are all with Xbox.

Again, good software is the most important thing, but the 'box already has 20 times more good games than I could ever hope to afford (especially given that audio and HT are my main expenditures, with a bit of $ blown on guns).  Maybe I'm like one of those guys who'd rather listen to a great recording of a crappy little orchestra, but I just find it really hard to enjoy any newer game on the cube or P2- they're just too limited in graphics and sound capability.  JMOHO-YMMV.

mcrespo71

Xbox now down to $150
« Reply #12 on: 5 Apr 2004, 09:43 pm »
PS2 may have more difficulty keeping up, but I think that Metal Gear Solid 3: snake eater is one of the best looking demos I've seen.  I've actually been told by programmers that the PS2 still has the ability to crank the best graphics, but it's a complete bitch to program for.  

On Xbox, I think that the games with the best graphics are Splinter Cell Pandora's Tomorrow, Ninja Gaiden, Otogi, and Panzer Dragoon Orta.  

I'd say that Metroid Prime, FZero GX, and the Resident Evil games are on par.  In fact, I think that Metroid Prime is still the best looking videogame I've ever seen- the art direction and worlds are unsurpassed, though the new splinter cell is damn close.  

Have you played through Metroid Prime, Rob?  If you haven't played through the game and have just seen the typical Nintendo centric graphic games like Super Smash Bros or Mario Sunshine, then I guess I could see your view that box games blow it away.  

As it is, none of the consoles can compete with the ever changing technical specs of computer gaming, which is always one step ahead given that hardware is constantly in flux.

And, yes, the downfall of the DC was a shame.  Never has a company did so much right with no one paying attention.  They were the first online and had a completely kick ass lineup of games in it's short 2 year stint.  Actually, those of you that want to play DC like games, Xbox got a lot of the best exclusives (jet set radio future, Shenmue, and Panzer Dragoon).

Michael

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Xbox now down to $150
« Reply #13 on: 5 Apr 2004, 09:50 pm »
Haven't played Metroid, though it looked.  It was my bitter disappointment with Resident Evil that led me to sell my Cube.

mcrespo71

Xbox now down to $150
« Reply #14 on: 5 Apr 2004, 09:54 pm »
Why were you so disappointed by RE?  I thought it was a great remake and RE0 was a fun prequel.

Michael

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Xbox now down to $150
« Reply #15 on: 5 Apr 2004, 10:42 pm »
I didn't like the control or the graphics.  I also hoped there'd be little more new content, even tho I knew it was basically just a port.  Did you think the graphics were decent in that game?  They were better than the original PS version, but pretty lackluster looking to me (not to harp on it again, but at that time I'd been playing a lot of HALO which pretty much ruins  you for lesser game- which is basically all other games! :lol: ).

I'd love to see an RE game for the 'box.  On the one hand you don't wanna mess with the classic RE formula, but I think a 1st person version that retains the adventure/story aspect would rock.  Sorta like a cross between HALO & Morrowind in style but with an RE look and storyline.  Just imagine the Dolby Digital scares as shit jumps out behind you! :o

That reminds me, I'm sure anxious for the next RE movie...

Woodsea

Xbox now down to $150
« Reply #16 on: 6 Apr 2004, 12:22 am »
I am on my first x-box, though it now has a new Samsung dvd drive (first failed) and a 160gb hd.  I can play all games except PS2.  It rocks plus I can play HD thru a third party accessory on a monitor or projector.
Xbox wins!!!
 :mrgreen:
Ok color me happy, I don't like losing.  And I am going to Mongolia for 2 years so I need the BOMB!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Xbox now down to $150
« Reply #17 on: 6 Apr 2004, 02:01 am »
What kind of internet connection will you have there, Woodsea?  If I lived in Mongolia I'd probably spend a lot of time online! :wink:   On the other hand, it's probably more interesting than South Dakota! :lol:   I actually do envy you.

What TV standard do they use there?

Bemopti123

What are the uses of a 160 HDed Xbox?
« Reply #18 on: 6 Apr 2004, 02:25 am »
Hey Woodsea, I like what you did to your Xbox.  I think I am getting myself one tomorrow, but I have certain questions.  How long did that first DVD driver last?  

Did you install the new Samsung DVD driver on your own?  Is it one of those rewritable ones?  What about the 160 Gig HD...what do you do with that much space?  What are the specific functions you use it for?  I can just imagine the purposes of such a muscular Xbox.  

Is it easy to upload hacks?  

I have tons of babbling questions, before I go ahead with my choice tomorrow.  Just $119 at Coconuts, with a $30 coupon.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Xbox now down to $150
« Reply #19 on: 6 Apr 2004, 02:27 am »
For what it's worth, Bemopti123, my Xbox is a very early 1st Gen model with a bazillion hours on it and the original drive is still going strong.  I almost wish it would crap out so I'd have an excuse to replace it. :lol: