Just picked up a Sony PS-X7 table

Wayner

Just picked up a Sony PS-X7 table
« on: 27 Jun 2010, 09:36 pm »
This table is the cat's meow for DD guys. It was only marketed in the US, featuring a carbon fiber tonearm, gel footers, a gel mat and carbon fiber headshell. I've been looking for one of these for awhile and this one is mint. I doubt that are many, if any DD tables that can compete with this one.

Wayner

TONEPUB

Re: Just picked up a Sony PS-X7 table
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2010, 10:35 pm »
looks good!  Mind my asking what you paid?

Also, what do you think of the Denon DD's...

Enjoy!

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2010, 11:22 pm »
Nice table Wayner. I always liked the X7. VE has the service manual in the library. Might come in handy. Lots of old parts in there.
Enjoy,
neo

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2010, 02:41 am »
Purdy - what's that make, Wayner - 7 in the house now?

John

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2010, 03:58 pm »
7 in the house, 1 in the garage, 3 in parts.

I paid what I would think is a reasonable amount, considering it's condition, status in the vinyl community and knowing that it will get here in great shape.

The number one complaint I have seen and heard buying tables thru the internet is that they arrive in a beat-up condition. Sellers do do know how to ship them. They need to have the platters removed, suspension (if it has one) locked down, counterweight removed, 45 rpm adaptot (if it has one) removed, arm secured to arm rest and double packed. The guy I got my Sony PS-X5 from even Elmer's glued the box flaps together which made it a bitch to cut out, but the table arrived in mint condition.

For the time being, this will now be my Longhorn testing table. I know the table is 31 years old, but that is the risk of going with vintage stuff, but it's modern day equal would cost thousands.

Wayner

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2010, 04:07 pm »
Congrats Wayner!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jul 2010, 01:05 pm »
The Sony came in yesterday and I've been doing a little polishing on it, though it really didn't need much. The seller did a marvelous job packing it, as it came thru perfectly.

Notice the Carbon Fiber tonearm?

Wayner

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jul 2010, 07:38 pm »
 :bawl:

I never tried the table until today when I was doing cartridge set-up. I guessed it would have been fine. But when I was manual mode and hit start, the motor would turn, the arm would move up and down, and then the table would shut off. It's stuck in perpetual return mode.

Seller graciously accepted a return, so we'll see how this all pans out. For now, there is not going to be a PS-X7 here.

The Seller did a great job packing it, so I think something just came undone in shipping. I hate when these things happen.

W

acidaho

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jul 2010, 08:08 pm »

I got tired of my X7 mechanical nightmare and parted it out including the jell filled matt that looks as tho you need. I do have the tone arm lefft (intact-wiring). I loved this TT, but am 73 years young and everytime I tackled a problem, it got worse. :duh: Chuck

drphoto

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jul 2010, 10:18 pm »
I didn't know they even had carbon fiber 30 years ago. I thought it was a fairly recent development.

Did you pick up that Rega deck?

orthobiz

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jul 2010, 08:01 pm »

I paid what I would think is a reasonable amount, considering it's condition, status in the vinyl community and knowing that it will get here in great shape.

Wayner

You're getting to be a better politician all the time!

Paul

lol

Wayner

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jul 2010, 09:02 pm »
My seller has informed me that he has another PS-X7 that is totally mint, and it is on it's way to me. This guy has a high rating and I can see why. So hopefully, by the end of the week, this will come to an end. It is the problem with buying vintage. I'm sure it worked until it got shipped. Again, who knows.

Thanks Paul. Jeff (Tonepub) was interested in how much I paid, and I stepped sideways on this one. This is a highly sought after table because of it's sonic virtues, and if it can remain mechanically sound, will be very amusing and musical table. I have the PS-X5 now, and it is the "mechanical" version of the "higher order" X6 and X7, that use capacitive touch controls for on/off and repeat. The controls are extremely deep into the operation of the deck and if they fail, it's not just a matter of "replacing them with a mechanical switch". There are transistors and wave generators involved here that control the return mechanism. All of these decks are automatic, defeat-able to manual operation for beginning play and always on for auto end of record return.

The X5 is a mechanical version. The X6 has the same stuff as the X5, but with the capacitive touch controls for on/off and repeat. The X7 (only sold in the US) has electronic control, plus a carbon fiber tonearm, and gel mat, that is supposed to render the deck inert to bass feedback.

It is interesting that all decks have gel footers. Sony engineers thought (and I agree) that gel is much better at killing transmittable vibration than some pointy metal footers that are popular today. A concept that even VPI is starting to abandon as see by their new optional footers.

In overall sound quality, the PS-X5 that I have fitted with a AVA Gold Longhorn is simply breathtaking. It is so seriously dead quite and black. Vollenweider is scary good out of this machine, and I hope the X7 takes it to the next level.

Time will tell, again.

Wayner  :D

royphil345

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jul 2010, 08:00 am »
I think the PS-X7 has better litz tonearm wiring too. Awesome purchase!!! I hope this one works out for you! I thought about buying one of these myself. But, after two shipping disasters with PS-X5 tables and sellers that didn't want to refund my money... I got kind of soured on buying used tables on the web. Bought a new Technics I've been pretty satisfied with instead. The gel mats on the PS-X7s didn't seem to hold up well either. I could send you another rubber one like the one on your PS-X5 for free if you ever want it.

I also have a Dual 522 I bought in non-working condition just for the vintage AT cart that was on it. Couldn't resist working on it until it was good as new. Sounds almost as good as the Technics now and I LOVE the auto shutoff! It has REALLY thin cables I think probably "veil" the sound just a little a bit. I'll probably end up changing those. I really have nowhere to put it though. I live in a 1-bedroom apartment and I'm moving to a slightly smaller 1-bedroom in August (a price I couldn't say no to and a slightly more interesting floorplan). I'll probably end up having to sell the Dual when I'm done playing with it.

Wayner

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jul 2010, 12:11 pm »
yeah, the mat thing is kind of funky. I wonder what they were like new. I have tooled up my own mat so I'll be using one of them. Thanks for the offer. Glad you like your Technics. I recommend that table to lots of folks. I don't think you can go wrong for the money, a great starter table too for newbies or guys returning to vinyl.

Wayner

Wayner

« Reply #14 on: 14 Jul 2010, 06:45 pm »
I have finally received the second TT from the seller. This one works, but the dust cover took a wack. It is fixed, but not pretty. So here is the armada of Sony PS series tables, the PS-X5 in the far left, and the PS-X7 on the right.

Tonearm bearing on this one were sloppy, too. So again, that God I have a spanner wrench. The table holds steady speed and really is in mint shape, could almost pass for new. The capacitive touch buttons are cool, but make me wonder how vulnerable this table is.

For the sound, on my first LP, Azia, self titled, Cymbal crashes are very nice. Speed is steady and it's very quiet as is the X5. I know this is a collector table, but I can't recommend it to just anyone, especially not newbies.

The table has one very interesting quirk. When it's time to align the cartridge, you can't get the que lever to go down, even if you remove the power from the deck, the arm will return and the que will go up. It's like it is haunted. I suppose Sony engineers thought that the park position of the tonearm should be with que up, and so it is, and it can't be over-ridden. Now the PS-X5 can. You just put into manual mode and kill the power. So the end result of all of this is that I had to install and align my cartridge for the X7 in the X5. Of course, this is kind of a no-no, but hopefully, Sony held tight tolerances. They both have the same arm specs for spindle to pivot distance (200mm) so it shouldn't be a problem.

Anywho, there has been lots of spinning the last 2 days with the new ARCom, and now this table. If your counting, that is number 9.

Thanks again to my seller (also a new member of AC) for going the extra mile.

Wayner  8)

rcag_ils

« Reply #15 on: 15 Jul 2010, 03:51 am »
All these direct drive remind me the "Silver Era" nightmare when HIFI went down the tube.

royphil345

« Reply #16 on: 15 Jul 2010, 02:27 pm »
All these direct drive remind me the "Silver Era" nightmare when HIFI went down the tube.

Things weren't that bad yet... lol

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Stage-B-Speakers-iPod/dp/B000BLESJM/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Direct-drive was supposed to be an improvement, and it really was on consumer level tables until they all started getting light and plastic. You can talk about direct-drive noise and "cogging" all you want, but specs don't lie. They're quieter and have less wow and flutter than belt-drives in the same class and price-range. Sure, you could spend much more on a higher-end belt drive and do better...

Those tables won't win any beauty contests. But, I owned a PS-X5 and it sounded superb.

rcag_ils

« Reply #17 on: 15 Jul 2010, 02:57 pm »
Direct drive was an improvement for quicker getting up to speed, and nothing else. When I first got my Technics direct drive it sounded superb too, until I compared it with a simpler well made British belt drive.

Some direct drive came with full auto features, which are basically junk.

Wayner

« Reply #18 on: 15 Jul 2010, 03:04 pm »
Both of these tables are switchable from fully automatic to semi-automatic. They both weigh about 25 pounds each, with the plinths being made of a non-resonant molding compound. There is no plastic involved here at all. These are well crafted decks, top of the consumer line for Sony, and are perhaps even better performers than many of the lower end British decks. This is one reason why they are sought after.

Wayner

royphil345

« Reply #19 on: 15 Jul 2010, 03:58 pm »
Both of these tables are switchable from fully automatic to semi-automatic. They both weigh about 25 pounds each, with the plinths being made of a non-resonant molding compound. There is no plastic involved here at all. These are well crafted decks, top of the consumer line for Sony, and are perhaps even better performers than many of the lower end British decks. This is one reason why they are sought after.

Wayner

There's no downside to the automatic functions on these either (except maybe keeping them in repair). Unlike other automatics, the tonearm of the PS-X5 doesn't drag anything or even make contact with anything until the stylus is in the leadout grooves. The PS-X6 and X7 use optical sensors and never hit a mecanical trigger.