Thorens TD-125 MK II or VPI HW-19

GentleBender

Re: Thorens TD-125 MK II or VPI HW-19
« Reply #20 on: 18 Oct 2015, 11:02 am »
I ended up going with the VPI after asking here and researching the tables a bit more. I wanted something simple plus I have always wanted a VPI. Still waiting on it to ship, but I have another project to complete first anyway. That SME V is quite a tonearm from what I've read.  :thumb:

My wife and I finally went to Ikea and I picked up the largest Kallax shelf they had to store the growing collection of records. Now I've got to move everything out of the "storage" room to paint it and make it nice before putting the shelves together. This http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80163781/ shelf I will hang horizontally for the box sets and this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50305796/#/00305794 for the rest.

Guy 13

« Reply #21 on: 18 Oct 2015, 12:37 pm »
I ended up going with the VPI after asking here and researching the tables a bit more. I wanted something simple plus I have always wanted a VPI. Still waiting on it to ship, but I have another project to complete first anyway. That SME V is quite a tonearm from what I've read.  :thumb:

My wife and I finally went to Ikea and I picked up the largest Kallax shelf they had to store the growing collection of records. Now I've got to move everything out of the "storage" room to paint it and make it nice before putting the shelves together. This http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80163781/ shelf I will hang horizontally for the box sets and this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50305796/#/00305794 for the rest.

Hi (Again) GentleBender,
good choice, maybe one day, after your set up is completed,
we will be lucky enough to see your set up.
If and I repeat, if I ever go back on planet Vietnam,
I will bring with me a set of different size and shape of IKEA - Kallax shelves
for different purpose, mainly storage, I am sure you will agree with me:
We never have enough storage.

Guy 13

By the way, almost forgot, congratulation for your VPI purchase.
If I had the money that's the turntable I would buy.

GentleBender

« Reply #22 on: 19 Oct 2015, 12:54 pm »
Hi (Again) GentleBender,
good choice, maybe one day, after your set up is completed,
we will be lucky enough to see your set up.
If and I repeat, if I ever go back on planet Vietnam,
I will bring with me a set of different size and shape of IKEA - Kallax shelves
for different purpose, mainly storage, I am sure you will agree with me:
We never have enough storage.

Guy 13

By the way, almost forgot, congratulation for your VPI purchase.
If I had the money that's the turntable I would buy.

How's it going Guy 13? I will definitely post some pictures of the completed space.  :thumb: I just finished painting the room last night and put together the Lack shelf for books and LP box sets this morning before work. Tonight I start on the Kallax 5x5 shelving unit, but need to stop and pick up some plywood to reinforce it.

I hope you get to return to your "planet" for positive reasons and stay and enjoy the weather. Bringing some cheap decent Ikea storage seems smart too. Never enough storage, even when you think you have more than enough.  :lol:

Thanks for the congrats!

ACHiPo

« Reply #23 on: 20 Oct 2015, 02:12 am »
I had a Thorens TD-160 w/ Rega RB-300 arm. I'm now spinning a HW-19 MK III w/ upgraded platter, suspension and a SME tonearm.

Like an Egyptian Pharaoh  I'm hoping I can be buried with my VPI I'll need in the afterlife.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Thorens are great tables but I prefer my VPI

Like always my opinion and $1.25 will get you a cup of coffee.

P-man
Well I received pics and sure enough it's got an SME Series V on it.  Any idea what a VPI HW-19 Mk III with a Series V tonearm is worth?  I figure the 'table is worth about $800, but the tonearm could be worth at least that much if not more.  Any suggestions on how to tell whether there are any issues with either the 'table or arm?

P.S. GB, sorry if I'm highjacking your thread  :oops:

sfox7076

« Reply #24 on: 20 Oct 2015, 02:55 am »
What cartridge is mounted?  The tonearm is worth more if it is newish.  That's a $4k arm from a dealer with a discount.  That arm, so long as it is in good shape should not be an issue.  SME arms are made like tanks.  Make sure that the wiring works though.

ACHiPo

« Reply #25 on: 20 Oct 2015, 04:14 am »
The cartridge is a Benz micro with a broken stylus, so not worth much.  I'm waiting to find out how a big buck arm ended up on a decent but small buck 'table. I figured that the Lyra could make nice on the SME and I could get a mono cartridge for my WTT?

GentleBender

« Reply #26 on: 20 Oct 2015, 08:13 am »
Well I received pics and sure enough it's got an SME Series V on it.  Any idea what a VPI HW-19 Mk III with a Series V tonearm is worth?  I figure the 'table is worth about $800, but the tonearm could be worth at least that much if not more.  Any suggestions on how to tell whether there are any issues with either the 'table or arm?

P.S. GB, sorry if I'm highjacking your thread  :oops:
I've got no problem, the more the merrier.  :wink:

sfox7076

« Reply #27 on: 20 Oct 2015, 03:18 pm »
I imagine it was an ill-advised upgrade.  A lot of people buy arms that punch above the weight of their table, assuming that the table doesn't make much difference because it isn't in the signal chain...

BobRex

« Reply #28 on: 20 Oct 2015, 05:14 pm »
I imagine it was an ill-advised upgrade.  A lot of people buy arms that punch above the weight of their table, assuming that the table doesn't make much difference because it isn't in the signal chain...

Not sure what you are responding to, but back in the day, the HW19 was in the same class as the SMEV.  I sold many HW19s with SMEs as well as Alphasons and ETs.  They all worked splendidly.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #29 on: 20 Oct 2015, 10:56 pm »

The arm by itself is worth between $2.4 - 3K or thereabouts.  If the table doesn't have an SDS you'll probably need a Falcon.  Phoenix has a new one, Eagle for higher wattage.

The combo is only slightly unusual, and the HW19 was one of those tables guys saved up for.  You were more likely to see an MMT, but don't let that scare you away.  Without being able to observe/hear it, all you can do is ask questions like - any problems?  Does the platter wobble?   :lol:

The SME V is an elegant arm.  It can sound overdamped if too much damping fluid is used.  Great resolution, but can also sound a little dry.  Eff mass is only around 11g so you can probably muck out the fluid.
Did you say this was for mono, or am I thinking of another thread?  Might not be the best match for most mono carts which are usually low cu.  Maybe one of those Ortofons would be good.  Hell of a mono set up. 
neo

ACHiPo

« Reply #30 on: 21 Oct 2015, 02:19 am »
The arm by itself is worth between $2.4 - 3K or thereabouts.  If the table doesn't have an SDS you'll probably need a Falcon.  Phoenix has a new one, Eagle for higher wattage.

The combo is only slightly unusual, and the HW19 was one of those tables guys saved up for.  You were more likely to see an MMT, but don't let that scare you away.  Without being able to observe/hear it, all you can do is ask questions like - any problems?  Does the platter wobble?   :lol:

The SME V is an elegant arm.  It can sound overdamped if too much damping fluid is used.  Great resolution, but can also sound a little dry.  Eff mass is only around 11g so you can probably muck out the fluid.
Did you say this was for mono, or am I thinking of another thread?  Might not be the best match for most mono carts which are usually low cu.  Maybe one of those Ortofons would be good.  Hell of a mono set up. 
neo
Well I may have passed on the bargain of the century, but I wasn't looking for a top-shelf arm, just a really good second 'table so I could have one dedicated mono rig and one for stereo.  The seller said there was quite a bit of vibration, which told me that there was a bearing or motor issue, and I wasn't really looking for a project, so I passed.  He already had a seller that offered him his asking price of $2k, but just wanted the arm.

If I got it I would have set up my Lyra Kleos stereo cartridge on it for stereo and converted my WTT to a mono table, although you raise a good point about effective mass--not sure how good the WTT tonearm would be with something like a Miyajima Zero.

AC

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #31 on: 21 Oct 2015, 01:14 pm »
Well I may have passed on the bargain of the century, but I wasn't looking for a top-shelf arm, just a really good second 'table so I could have one dedicated mono rig and one for stereo.  The seller said there was quite a bit of vibration, which told me that there was a bearing or motor issue, and I wasn't really looking for a project, so I passed.  He already had a seller that offered him his asking price of $2k, but just wanted the arm.

If I got it I would have set up my Lyra Kleos stereo cartridge on it for stereo and converted my WTT to a mono table, although you raise a good point about effective mass--not sure how good the WTT tonearm would be with something like a Miyajima Zero.

AC

The table is trash unless it's fixed, so it's not the bargain of the century.  Does VPI even have parts for the HW19 ?   Put a pile of $ in it and you have a table worth $800.  Buyer got a decent deal on the SME V, assuming it works properly.  Considering you're need at this time, it's not the best choice IMO.  Sound is kind of the opposite of WT. 

The Zero weighs around 12g, tracks 3.5g, is 10cu.  Even though the cart is heavy I think you'll be better off with a very rigid and substantial arm, like putting a Koetsu or Kisiki on an FR64S.   A used one of those goes for around the same $ as the SME.

I'd be looking at something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252125721197?rmvSB=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321884560088?rmvSB=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281776401827?rmvSB=true

neo

sunnydaze

« Reply #32 on: 21 Oct 2015, 02:49 pm »
If your intent is to simply add another cartridge (or arm?), why go to the expense, trouble, and space useage of adding another turntable?!    :scratch:

Maybe you can figure out a way to add an outboard arm pod to use on your existing table?  That's what I did.

Dirt cheap, quick / easy to build, and all my arm / cart combos sound great on it.  The wood is a 20mm thick bamboo butcher block, $10 at Bed Bath and Beyond.  The other materials cost a few bux at local hardware store. 

I own five arms, I've cut a circular mounting plate specific to each arm.  When not in use, the arm remains mounted on its plate.  This makes for quick and easy arm changes -- simply unscrew 3 bolts, swap arms, screw in bolts. 

Until I determine its permanent location, I've used clamps to secure it to my top shelf.   Rock solid.  It can also be screwed, bolted or glued on, but I don't know that I wanna mar my butcher block.

I see your rack is similar to mine, so something like this is doable.  Your traditional plinth means that correct mount distance probably can't be obtained with a 9" arm.  Go with at least a 10.  I highly recommend the Jelco 750E.  It's an incredible value, even at new prices.  I paid $350 for my lightly used one, an absolute steal IMO!  If you like to play with different carts, its removable headshell allows for quick / easy swapping. Get a headshell for each cart.  Upon swapping, offset angle and overhang will be set up, just re-set VTA and VTF.

So for less than $400 (assuming a used Jelco 750E) you can achieve your mono cart objective, and save shelf space too.  Many great arms available for less than $800 used.  I've bought a bunch.

I know some guys that have machined their own metal stand alone arm pods, but that's lots more money and work.

Good luck whatever you do.

GentleBender

« Reply #33 on: 21 Oct 2015, 02:59 pm »
Neobop,

You seem dedicated to vinyl playback and also well versed in analog gear. Do you think the VPI HW-19 is a bad investment? I'm not trying to paint you in a corner, but am interested in your opinion. I want to step up my analog source from my current Kenwood KD-2000 and want to keep things simple while making noticeable improvements in sound. My budget for turntable, arm and cartridge are $1500 or thereabout.

Current gear is Odyssey Cyclops integrated, Odyssey Suspiro Phono stage with MM and MC, and Kenwood KD-2000.

Any help is appreciated.

PS. I have some 1905 CBS Masterworks shellac records. What would you recommend to play those?

ACHiPo

« Reply #34 on: 21 Oct 2015, 03:32 pm »
The table is trash unless it's fixed, so it's not the bargain of the century.  Does VPI even have parts for the HW19 ?   Put a pile of $ in it and you have a table worth $800.  Buyer got a decent deal on the SME V, assuming it works properly.  Considering you're need at this time, it's not the best choice IMO.  Sound is kind of the opposite of WT. 

The Zero weighs around 12g, tracks 3.5g, is 10cu.  Even though the cart is heavy I think you'll be better off with a very rigid and substantial arm, like putting a Koetsu or Kisiki on an FR64S.   A used one of those goes for around the same $ as the SME.

I'd be looking at something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252125721197?rmvSB=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321884560088?rmvSB=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281776401827?rmvSB=true

neo
Neo,
Great advice.  I'm considering adding a second arm as well, and really like your approach.  I made my stereo rack and the top is 3" thick maple, so it's a pretty stable platform to attach an "armboard" of sorts.

The buyer got back to me and the other deal fell through.  They still make a Mk IV upgrade for $400 which includes a new bearing, platter, and belt which would address two of the three possible root causes of the vibration (the other being the motor), and is supposedly a big sonic improvement over the Mk III platter and bearing.

I'm not really looking for a project, and if it is a project, I might as well just add an arm to my existing table.

I am still considering the VPI, however, and hope to make a decision today.

Thanks again for the help!

Evan

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #35 on: 21 Oct 2015, 07:49 pm »
Neobop,

You seem dedicated to vinyl playback and also well versed in analog gear. Do you think the VPI HW-19 is a bad investment? I'm not trying to paint you in a corner, but am interested in your opinion. I want to step up my analog source from my current Kenwood KD-2000 and want to keep things simple while making noticeable improvements in sound. My budget for turntable, arm and cartridge are $1500 or thereabout.

Current gear is Odyssey Cyclops integrated, Odyssey Suspiro Phono stage with MM and MC, and Kenwood KD-2000.

Any help is appreciated.

PS. I have some 1905 CBS Masterworks shellac records. What would you recommend to play those?

That's a tough one.  I don't think the HW19 is necessarily a bad investment, but I'd personally be suspicious of one with a TNT platter.  IMO it's too heavy for the motor.   There might be later versions of the platter which I'm not  familiar and perhaps a speed controller would help, but the original TNT with its single motor was unlistenable to me.   It used to drive me crazy having to demo it.   The sound was thick, slow, ponderous - zero PRaT. 

Sorry to chime in at this late date, but I haven't heard that particular combo, and the platter could be different.  The one I know is thick black acrylic with lead inserts.
I don't know the particulars of your deal.  Does it come with an arm, original platter, SDS?  Anything else upgraded?  Too late to back out?

People are different.  Some loved the original TNT and the deck bothered me no end, so sometimes I'm reluctant to state my opinion.  People get crazy and seem to take it personally like their ego is wrapped up in their gear. 

1905 shellacs?   A Victrola?

A 78 cart has a 3 mil stylus.  You can get the AT MONO 3 S/P HOMC for a little over $100 on Amazon.  Of course you could always spend more.  Having adjustable pitch on your 78 speed might also help. 
neo

sturgus

« Reply #36 on: 21 Oct 2015, 08:21 pm »
Vpi only used the one motor for many years ( Hurst 600 rpm ). Now I think  they use the 300 rpm. The motor is more than adequate for the TNT platter. It is Still available for $ 90 bucks or so.   A drop or two of oil on the motor shaft will usually quite down the motor.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #37 on: 21 Oct 2015, 08:58 pm »
Neo,
Great advice.  I'm considering adding a second arm as well, and really like your approach.  I made my stereo rack and the top is 3" thick maple, so it's a pretty stable platform to attach an "armboard" of sorts.

The buyer got back to me and the other deal fell through.  They still make a Mk IV upgrade for $400 which includes a new bearing, platter, and belt which would address two of the three possible root causes of the vibration (the other being the motor), and is supposedly a big sonic improvement over the Mk III platter and bearing.

I'm not really looking for a project, and if it is a project, I might as well just add an arm to my existing table.

I am still considering the VPI, however, and hope to make a decision today.

Thanks again for the help!

Evan

Evan,
It seems to me either option you're considering is a project.   You must really want that SME ?  You're willing to spend an additional $400 and probably a motor ($?).  Who does the work VPI ?  Have a speed controller?  If not you're up to an additional minimum $1.3K  ?? 
Tell you the truth, I've only heard the SME V in a couple of set-ups where I liked it.   You never know till you try, but the deal isn't looking so good anymore.  I think you need to figure out your objective, mono or new top dog player. 

I think the answer lies in your desire to upgrade, in which case I don't know if the MKIV is an upgrade.  Seriously, maybe it could be, but you could also buy the arm by itself. 

The Sunnydaze approach makes sense if you measure spindle to mounting hole accurately.  You wouldn't need that elevation and it could be simpler.  You could get a Jelco 750L 12", or any number of appropriate used arms.  There's a JVC UA7082 12" on epay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321881995735?rmvSB=true
This one is a killer.  With a Zero you'd probably need pampers. 

You ever drool over something and it turned out to be not only a PIA, but a disappointment?   There will always be used SME's, but what's the value of a used HW19 upgraded to a MKIV ?
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #38 on: 21 Oct 2015, 09:02 pm »
Vpi only used the one motor for many years ( Hurst 600 rpm ). Now I think  they use the 300 rpm. The motor is more than adequate for the TNT platter. It is Still available for $ 90 bucks or so.   A drop or two of oil on the motor shaft will usually quite down the motor.

That's what I mean by people having different sensibilities.  I can't listen to it.
neo

ACHiPo

« Reply #39 on: 21 Oct 2015, 09:49 pm »
If your intent is to simply add another cartridge (or arm?), why go to the expense, trouble, and space useage of adding another turntable?!    :scratch:

Maybe you can figure out a way to add an outboard arm pod to use on your existing table?  That's what I did.

I see your rack is similar to mine, so something like this is doable.  Your traditional plinth means that correct mount distance probably can't be obtained with a 9" arm.  Go with at least a 10.  I highly recommend the Jelco 750E.  It's an incredible value, even at new prices.  I paid $350 for my lightly used one, an absolute steal IMO!  If you like to play with different carts, its removable headshell allows for quick / easy swapping. Get a headshell for each cart.  Upon swapping, offset angle and overhang will be set up, just re-set VTA and VTF.

So for less than $400 (assuming a used Jelco 750E) you can achieve your mono cart objective, and save shelf space too.  Many great arms available for less than $800 used.  I've bought a bunch.

I know some guys that have machined their own metal stand alone arm pods, but that's lots more money and work.

Good luck whatever you do.
SunnyDaze,
I was multi-tasking and mistakenly attributed your outrigger 2nd arm to Neo.  Sorry about that.  :oops:  I really like the concept--I've even considered having my plinth machined, but gave up before the idea got a firm grasp on my willpower :lol: 

I came across an arm somewhere that had a heavy base that you could just sit on the plinth (maybe a Dynavector 507?).  While I'd want to clamp it somehow to the plinth to keep the alignment, the tonearm cable comes out above the base so it doesn't require a hole in the plinth.

I also like the idea of a longer (12") tonearm, which could work if I adopted your outrigger approach.

Evan