Audio Gear Depreciation

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Audio Gear Depreciation
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jun 2022, 11:01 pm »
50% off of gear that is usually sold at full MSRP is way too low unless the gear is ancient or abused. One thing buyers of used equipment should consider is what the equipment would cost them new with sales tax and shipping.

Used equipment buyers conveniently forget the original purchaser may have paid a lot of sales tax. If they are buying local they may also save the shipping the original buyer paid.

Buying used gear has to work for both the buyer and seller. So, I repeat, what would the equipment cost new delivered with sales tax?

I believe I said adjust for condition and market, but I respectfully disagree about shipping and tax.  Those items are the purchaser's burden and aren't included in retail price.  For a ridiculous example, what if it was shipped around the world?  If I might ask, do you buy and sell a lot of items?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 15 Jun 2022, 04:57 am »
I just bought a pair of PS Audio M1200 and considering a PS Audio BHK preamp that's 5 years old and offered for $3400 with a couple of spare tube.  There are two others around the same price on US Audiomart but ages aren't given.
Thank you

Current retail on the BHK preamp is $6,600. If you have gear to trade in you can get credit for the full retail price of the trade in gear up to 30% of that or $1,980 bringing the price for a new unit down to $4,620.

I bought my BHK pre used for $3,000 when retail was $6,000 or 50%. Given that, $3,400 is about right. The seller might take a little less.

So $3,400 for used and out of warranty vs $4,600 plus a trade for new.

My BHK preamp is also feeding M1200s and they make a killer combo.

whell

« Reply #22 on: 15 Jun 2022, 02:02 pm »
We'll have to go away and cost this carefully, but as a ballpark figure I'd say that it'll be about two million dollars.

Seems like a lot of money for a used preamp....   :wink: