Built stands for my new .7s

audiobliss

• Industry Participant
Built stands for my new .7s
« on: 3 Mar 2022, 04:19 am »
I took the nine weeks I waited for my new .7s to design and collect the parts. Finally finished them last weekend. Already showed the inmates on the Asylum, so figured I would share with you guys also.

Saturn94

Re: Built stands for my new .7s
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2022, 05:18 am »
Very nice!  :thumb:

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2022, 06:08 am »
Very clean lines. Nice!
OK...
Did you ponder getting the speakers up in the air? Is there a floor coupling dynamic engineered into the crossovers of these speakers?
What is your base made of? Did you dampen it somehow?
I can see it being a very elegant platform for any future crossover mods!
Again great job! Looks quite sturdy and um, er, well, supportive. :thumb:

Did you build the equipment stand? That looks quite the business as well!

audiobliss

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2022, 01:14 pm »
Never pondered getting them in the air,  the bases are solid butcher blocks from Timbernation.. there is damping between the metal legs and the base, and between the legs and the speakers.
The equipment stand is made by Atlantis in Canada. I own a couple and have modified them over the years.
Thanks for the compliment.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2022, 04:54 pm »
Great job and looks great!

You should post the materials.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2022, 05:08 pm »
Wow! Great job!  :thumb:

Craig B

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2022, 05:44 pm »
Super nice finish work, especially the color match, which I know is challenging. Did you have a fabric swatch, or were the speakers on hand before you finished the bases? If not, that's even more of an accomplishment.

audiobliss

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2022, 07:14 pm »
I had the speaker on hand, but it was still challenging. I first tried finding something close in a spray paint, I actually picked a color that I thought would work, and had to redo them.
I eventually gave up after searching all the hardware stores , and I took one of the stock feet to Home Depot and had them match the color. A friend told me they could do it in Rust Oleum paint but that was not true, so I got the best latex paint they had for the wood base, and a silver Rust Oleum for the metal.

audiobliss

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2022, 07:21 pm »
Here are more pictures.

Don_S

« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2022, 08:50 pm »
audiobliss,

Those look very "pro". Awesome job.  :thumb:

I used this company for butcher block to make amplifier stands. The link might be useful for west coast users. They are located in Oroville, CA (north central valley).

http://perfectplank.com/

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #10 on: 3 Mar 2022, 11:54 pm »
What differences did you notice in the sound?

audiobliss

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 4 Mar 2022, 12:51 am »
Standing them up straight improved the sound stage and sharpen the images. I also replaced the binding post which probably also helped too.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #12 on: 4 Mar 2022, 01:03 am »
Those look great, very professional. I'm considering ordering a pair of .7s and was looking at stands for them with a cost around $250. Your DIY is an inspiration.

Saturn94

« Reply #13 on: 4 Mar 2022, 01:14 am »
Standing them up straight improved the sound stage and sharpen the images. I also replaced the binding post which probably also helped too.

I noticed the same improvement with my LRS when I replaced the factory stands. 👍

Craig B

« Reply #14 on: 4 Mar 2022, 12:21 pm »
Those look great, very professional. I'm considering ordering a pair of .7s and was looking at stands for them with a cost around $250. Your DIY is an inspiration.

I would never discourage someone from trying a DIY solution, especially if that person had skills. But I'll just say I've been super pleased with the MagnaRiser MultiRiser stands I got for my .7s a couple of years ago.

Craig B

« Reply #15 on: 4 Mar 2022, 12:23 pm »
I took one of the stock feet to Home Depot and had them match the color.

Interesting. I didn't know Magnepan matched their feet colors to the speakers. I just assumed they were all black.

audiobliss

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 4 Mar 2022, 02:13 pm »
Yes, they do, I have had three models, mmg, mg12 and now .7.
All off white, and they were all matched.

Craig B

« Reply #17 on: 4 Mar 2022, 03:53 pm »
Nice attention to detail on their part. I might have known better, if I hadn't got my .7s in black. :wink:

BikeFi10

« Reply #18 on: 5 May 2022, 06:03 pm »
Very nice stands. What Is the metal's thickness and is it enough to elimante all sway?  Also, did you have L brackets custom cut? I have not been able to find any L bracket length more than 20". Im guessing vertical length should be at least half the height of panel. Thanks!

BikeFi10

« Reply #19 on: 17 May 2022, 01:17 pm »
Audiobliss, I see the top holes are not centered. Why is that? Is the vertical side of bracket about 3/4 planar height? Also is there anything you would have done different? I told a friend Ive been looking for slotted angle to make brackets. He offered to make them from flat stock like yours and powder paint them. How perfect is that!