Fresh Joule White Build

spreadspectrum

Fresh Joule White Build
« on: 6 May 2015, 11:45 am »
Ryan is a busy guy, and thought I'd take the liberty of posting some images of my nearly completed Joule Whites for people to enjoy.  So that prospective buyers are aware, Ryan has been forwarding me images during each stage of the build process - despite how busy these guys are, I have not felt out of the loop and it has been a very fun (albeit admittedly loooong) process. 

I hope to post more images as I get them, and once they finally arrive.  The build will consist of roughly the following:

Joule White driver array
Marbled walnut on the bass section and walnut claro/brindle on the tops (Ryan can correct me here if I am off)
Gloss finish
Grey/bronze paint on the baffles, same as in recent PS build
"Pod" feet, as in the recent PS build
Neotech solid core UPOCC wire on the woofer, 10 gauge equivalent (because we could)
Kimber silver wirer on the tweet/midrange (Ryan can correct me on specifics)
Duelund RS caps
Small mods on the crossover to allow for a future upgrade (Jensen Silver Foil bypass perhaps?)

spreadspectrum

Re: Fresh Joule White Build
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2015, 11:48 am »
Here are some earlier images.  You will note that the color tones of the veneer on the bottom and top sections were slightly off - some amber tint was added to the gloss on the bottom section to even it up.

After amber tint and some coats of gloss:

dpatters

« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2015, 11:58 am »
They look stunning! :thumb:

I'm sure you can't wait to get them.  The waiting is the hardest part but once you have them in your room you will forget all about that.
I would recommend having a couple of friends over to help you uncrate and get them set up.  You can do it with two people but three
made the process pretty easy. I will be interested on your experience with break in especially with the Accuton drivers.  Since my pair
was shown at RMAF they had some hours on them but they still improved over time in my room.  They now have over 500 hours and are
really singing.

Welcome to the Vapor Joule family!

Don P.

GentleBender

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2015, 12:19 pm »
Those are stunning! Wait until you hear them. I've never had the chance, but if the Auroras they build sound as good as they do, I can't imagine what the Joules sound like. I'm drooling now...

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2015, 12:26 pm »
Wow, these are looking great! Very cool of Ryan to provide progress photo's, I am hoping he does the same for my build :D

dpatters

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2015, 12:38 pm »
Wow, these are looking great! Very cool of Ryan to provide progress photo's, I am hoping he does the same for my build :D
Todd,

Which Vapor model have you ordered? I've only heard the Nimbus at RMAF 2013 and my own Joule Black. I would love to hear
one of the monitors but no Vapor owners near me in Central PA as far as I know.

Don P.

toddc2

« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2015, 12:45 pm »
Hi Don,

It's a new model, so I prefer to let Ryan do the talking when he's ready. I am very excited to be working with Vapor. I made the purchase decision based on the AC community's enthusiasm for the product (I've never actually listened to any of the products). That's a little out of my comfort zone as a buyer but I know Ryan and team will deliver an excellent product for me.

spreadspectrum

« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2015, 12:59 pm »
Thanks for the comments!  Indeed, it is a very exciting time.  Don, I'll be happy to let you know how the Accutons evolve over time - I am quite interested in this myself.

Todd, it will happen.  Be patient.  The Vapor experience is one that reminds that good things come to those who can wait.  The process was much more fun when I relaxed and let things happen.  Talking with Ryan, one realizes just how much he has on his plate, in addition to lots of surprises in the recent past.  I expect that with the new shop and smoother sailing, things will happen much faster.

Ryan (the lesser)

toddc2

« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2015, 01:32 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement Ryan. I am very patient so no worries on my side.

toddc2

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jun 2015, 07:48 pm »
Hey Ryan (the lessor), any update on your nice looking Joule build?

Todd

spreadspectrum

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jun 2015, 09:53 pm »
Hi there, Todd.

The whole process has been slowed by some capacitors that, at least as of the beginning of the week, were not available.  The speakers are otherwise essentially finished and could be coming any day now.  Believe me, I can barely contain myself - email has become a game of teasing as I wonder which will be the ONE.

As soon as I have them, I'll post some pictures under the "new build" section, so you'll know!

Ryan

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #11 on: 3 Jun 2015, 10:12 pm »
Hi there, Todd.

The whole process has been slowed by some capacitors that, at least as of the beginning of the week, were not available.  The speakers are otherwise essentially finished and could be coming any day now.  Believe me, I can barely contain myself - email has become a game of teasing as I wonder which will be the ONE.

As soon as I have them, I'll post some pictures under the "new build" section, so you'll know!

Ryan

Caps arrived!  They're installed, and I'll be putting the whole shootin match together this weekend. 

BTW, I got a little carried away with the wet sanding and buffing.  A fly tried to land on the top of one of the speakers and slid right off   :lol:  They're absolute glass, slicker than snot!

spreadspectrum

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jun 2015, 10:28 pm »
 WOOHOO!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

spreadspectrum

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jun 2015, 10:31 pm »
BTW, I got a little carried away with the wet sanding and buffing.  A fly tried to land on the top of one of the speakers and slid right off   :lol:  They're absolute glass, slicker than snot!

:o

Maybe I get some Geckskin gloves to handle them!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #14 on: 3 Jun 2015, 10:47 pm »
:o

Maybe I get some Geckskin gloves to handle them!

They're frictionless, so absolutely nothing can pick them up on the sides ... from the bottom only.  A suction cup on top would work, but with that smooth surface it may never come off  :D

toddc2

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jun 2015, 11:36 pm »
Nice! Please keep us updated.

Gopher

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jun 2015, 02:12 am »
The finish on those speakers is absolutely ridonk!  I've come back to look at this thread three times now and  my jaw keeps dropping.   

Very thankful I've got my Auroras winding down so I'm not tempted by your other immediately available stuff.   :lol:

Seriously though, you and Pete (and Ed) are friggin speaker ninjas.   The new owner will be thrilled.

toddc2

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jun 2015, 10:17 am »
They're absolute glass, slicker than snot!

Haven't heard that one in awhile! My Uncle Larry from Bloomington, IL used to say "slicker than snot on a door nob"

sunnydaze

« Reply #18 on: 4 Jun 2015, 12:20 pm »
Some snot is quite chunky.     :?

Nice speakers!   :thumb:  My back hurts just looking at them!

fex02

« Reply #19 on: 4 Jun 2015, 03:27 pm »
Polishing speakers is foreplay for vapor people.When Ryan arrived at my house, he unpacked a polishing machine.There was a stark look of panic in his eyes when i looked at him.He did not bring an arbor for the polisher ,so we had to go to the auto parts store for him to buy another.The joule's were drop dead beautiful , and he insisted on rubbing on them more, to eliminate these fine lines you needed a magnifying glass to see.
The camphor flamewood is one of the most beautiful woods i have ever seen.I am so glad i let him pick the colors.The speakers are sounding incredible.
Our audiophile club uses the flight of the cosmic hippo as a reference recording.The joules bring incredible detail to the banjo,cymbal,and drum pieces.The bass comes alive with a fullness, without the muddy sound i was accustomed too.
Rehearing my favorites has been a real joy !.
I believe Mike Powel and Verastarr, also play a role in the detail that i am now hearing.The silver foil brings the music to another level i did not know existed.