Manic Moose with Pi Streamer

Mesanjah05

Manic Moose with Pi Streamer
« on: 17 Jun 2019, 03:39 pm »
Folks,
My sister has a Pi streamer with ethernet connection attached to a B100 amp.  The ethernet connection improved sound quality and reliability over her previous wifi bridge.  However Manic Moose operation on her ipad is incredibly slow, jerky and unpredictable.  Any suggestions on how to improve ipad operation and responsiveness? Thanks.

OTM

Re: Manic Moose with Pi Streamer
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2019, 04:24 pm »
Hello
What version of Manic Moose is your sister running and what ios version is she using?
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2019, 10:05 pm by OTM »

Mesanjah05

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2019, 04:47 pm »
She is running latest version of MM,as we updated the program. As for ios, I'm not sure, but I do know her ipad is older version and not the latest.

Pundamilia

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2019, 10:02 pm »
How old is the iPad? I have an iPad 2 and I refuse to use it to control my music. Either my phone or my laptop is a preferable choice. Try something other than the iPad and see what the response is like.

Calypte

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2019, 10:47 pm »
I run Manic Moose 2.36 on an Android cell phone.  v.2.36 has been stable, if a bit quirky.  v.2.38 was buggy and prone to frequent crashes that required power-cycling the BDP-pi.  I had to send my BDP-pi to Bryston's U.S. rep to get it reverse-updated from 2.38 to 2.36.  The point here is that you should expect bugs with Manic Moose.  There's not much you can do about it.

Mesanjah05

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2019, 01:40 am »
Pudmilla,
You are right about alternative methods, when pc was using MM there was no delay.  The challenge is that her pc is in another part of the house making music selection a pain not being able to make choices quickly.  I have a BDP-2 and running MM from my ipad 2 is a breeze.  I' puzzled by the differences and question why!

Mesanjah05

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2019, 02:33 am »
Pundamilia, sorry for misspelling your handle.  I was browsing the above topics and came across Glider 2.0 in the interface section.  Has anyone used Glider with the Bryston-pi?  I checked it out in the app store, a bit on the pricey side, but if it works smoothly it may prove to be a solution to the MM situation.

Calypte

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2019, 08:03 pm »
I've been interested in trying a different software client for the BDP-pi.  But what if I don't like it?  Can I get back to MM 2.36?  What if I do like it?  Is there going to be a conflict with the installed firmware?  I'm worried that I might have to return the BDP-pi to Bryston (again) to have things straightened out.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2019, 08:17 pm »
I've been interested in trying a different software client for the BDP-pi.  But what if I don't like it?  Can I get back to MM 2.36?  What if I do like it?  Is there going to be a conflict with the installed firmware?  I'm worried that I might have to return the BDP-pi to Bryston (again) to have things straightened out.

Hi

No issues - you can try any software client and it will not affect MM.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2019, 10:57 pm »
Folks,
My sister has a Pi streamer with ethernet connection attached to a B100 amp.  The ethernet connection improved sound quality and reliability over her previous wifi bridge.  However Manic Moose operation on her ipad is incredibly slow, jerky and unpredictable.  Any suggestions on how to improve ipad operation and responsiveness? Thanks.

Is it slow and jerky if she tries to operate the BDP-Pi from the iPad if she is standing next to the computer or wireless router?

Chris

Mesanjah05

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jun 2019, 01:55 am »
Chris,
The ipad is slow and sporadic throughout the house.  MM works well from her Apple pc, but the ipad is as described.  MM is the current version, while her ipad ios is 9.35 and of a vintage that it won't allow an update to the latest ios.

NHSkier

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jun 2019, 11:59 am »
If your iPad's hard drive is anywhere close to full, that could be the problem. Those drives get badly fragmented over time and the available sectors might be pretty well scattered at this point.

Jozsef

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jun 2019, 05:57 am »
The iPad has flash storage and not a hard drive. It would not surprise me if filling it up caused significant issues though. I know that macOS performs poorly if there is not significant available storage space so iOS may be similar.

Mesanjah05

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jun 2019, 07:12 pm »
Update: Chris connected with my sister through service mode and worked his magic.  Turns out the url number was off and once corrected she has improved her ipad connection with stronger functionality.  I know I can be computer illiterate at times but I did copy the address down when it I read the address with the buttons.  Why the address was off has stumped me.  I love Bryston products and their first rate support and service.  However as I age I hope my future purchases, especially in the digital realm get more simpler to set-up and use.  Now I have time to battle with my new smart TV.  That oughta be fun!