Next kit

rockdrummer

Next kit
« on: 17 Jun 2019, 03:26 pm »
Hello all, going to be ordering a kit from Danny on the next couple days. I'm extremely excited! I think I know what I'm going to get but I'm hoping opinions here will make it obvious what I should get.

I have h frames with servos from Danny already. So I need something on top.

What I'm really interested in is imaging. Of course I enjoy the rest of the quality of everything Danny designs.

I'm, unfortunately, limited with power. I like my bottlehead amp, 3.5 watts, and recently built Folsoms 7297. So to have flexibility to use both, I need something decently efficient.

I don't listen loud, and I'm mostly into a variety of music.

I'm definitely going open baffle.
The NX otica mtm seems like the best choice.
The monolith? would be great but at 91db efficient, my tube amp isn't enough, right?
And since the lgk driver is discontinued, the wedge is out.

Any advice or ideas would be great.
Thanks
Ben

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Next kit
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2019, 03:44 pm »
Ben,

Either the NX-Otica or the Super 7 monitors. I haven’t built my Super 7 monitors yet so I don’t know how they compare.  IIRC, the Super 7’s are slightly more efficient.

Mike

Nick77

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2019, 03:48 pm »
          The monolith? would be great but at 91db efficient, my tube amp isn't enough, right?                                                             

Is the Neo3/10 what you call the monolith? Thats what gets my vote, so I can live vicariously thru your build. Haha   :popcorn:

rockdrummer

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2019, 04:12 pm »
Yes, the neo 10/3 monitor. I thought that was sort of called the monolith. I thought it was 91 while the nx otica was higher, like 93? I have used my bottlehead with the super v, but nothing else. So I'm not sure how to gauge how loud it gets with a 91db rated monitor.

I should have said the super 7 monitor is not in the cards.

I wish the neo3/10 monitor was more efficient. I would go that route.

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2019, 04:35 pm »
Regardless of the monitors you choose, you should consider a bigger amp at some point to get the most sound out of your speakers. Generally, a higher powered amp will provide the headroom to improve dynamics, reveal microdetails, provide a larger soundstage and will ultimately sound better. The speaker sensitivity is only one minor consideration for power requirements. I have dual servo subs with 98 dB monitors that Danny designed, and I'm using 350wpc monos to drive them. That's because I want to hear everything my speakers are capable of producing, and I don't listen loud, either.   

rockdrummer

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2019, 04:50 pm »
Early, I do concede the low power as a downfall. Long story short, that was my jump into tubes, and was the biggest I could afford, considering my lack of experience and having never owned my own tube amp.

I will get more watts in my next phase :P

cujobob

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2019, 05:02 pm »
If you're into DIY and good with electronics, there are so many good Pass First Watt designs I'd recommend with any of Danny's speakers. I speak from experience here :)

When you're going all the way down to just a few watts, you're going to struggle with anything short of 95+ or so decibel sensitive speakers unless you're sitting nearfield or listen at very low levels.

You may even be better off with just a cheap Class D amp off Amazon in the short term. Get whatever kit strikes your fancy, don't let power output hold you back. Choosing the right speakers is far too important.

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2019, 05:27 pm »
Is the Neo3/10 what you call the monolith? Thats what gets my vote, so I can live vicariously thru your build. Haha   :popcorn:

They are actually the Super-Mini.

The Monolith name is what Rich Hollis is calling is all digital powered version.

rockdrummer

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2019, 05:43 pm »
Thanks for the correction, Danny.

Cujobob, I'm very into diy and following directions for amp builds. No knowledge of my own other than the very basics. Im interested in any good kits that sound good. I have looked into Bob Latino's ST 70 with octal driver board.

cujobob

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jun 2019, 06:07 pm »
Thanks for the correction, Danny.

Cujobob, I'm very into diy and following directions for amp builds. No knowledge of my own other than the very basics. Im interested in any good kits that sound good. I have looked into Bob Latino's ST 70 with octal driver board.

I'm currently using a Pass Aleph 5, but I think the First Watt F5 was my favorite DIY amp build I've heard. I did not build them myself. My understanding is that the F5 is a particularly easy build. 25 WPC of pure Class A is more than enough for most of Danny's designs I've owned.

Edit: spelling
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2019, 07:14 pm by cujobob »

Early B.

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jun 2019, 06:11 pm »
Consider it a blessing that you're a DIY guy. You'll save a ton of money and get great sound using higher quality parts. You can't go wrong with either choice of GR Research monitor kit. The NX Otica MTM would be my first choice, too. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jun 2019, 06:29 pm »
With the Super 7 and Wedgies not being options, I would have to recommend the NX-Otica monitor. I have driven mine with a 5wpc tube amp (OddWatt PodWatt) but they sound better with my 15wpc DODD EL84 amp. I don't have a 10wpc amp to compare with.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 17 Jun 2019, 06:45 pm »
With watts that low, impedance becomes just as important as efficiency.  I know the super mini will have ruler flat impedance which makes it a great match for very low watt amps.  I’m not sure what the impedance of your other options are but you should find out before deciding.

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jun 2019, 06:53 pm »
With watts that low, impedance becomes just as important as efficiency.  I know the super mini will have ruler flat impedance which makes it a great match for very low watt amps.  I’m not sure what the impedance of your other options are but you should find out before deciding.

I design everything to be an easy to drive load for tube amps. So no problem there.

Captainhemo

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jun 2019, 02:05 am »
As mentioned in other posts,  we  can   supply a Wedgie kit (flat pack) with  8   brand new  Lgk drivers.  You can  get the    tweeters  and c/o parts  from  danny.

jay

rockdrummer

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jun 2019, 03:45 am »
Jay, I'm anticipating the worst. If a driver needs to be replaced, I would like to have options. I've got kids :icon_surprised:

Ben

HT cOz

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jun 2019, 08:44 am »
Folsom has a higher powered amp coming out very soon.  You might want to check it out if you need a little more umph.