Coffee grinders (burr) electric

twitch54

Coffee grinders (burr) electric
« on: 7 Jul 2020, 08:47 pm »
I know there has been some talk in our long running 'coffee' discussion but I thought I'd start one specific to burr grinders. My current  unit (Shardor), while it grinds just dandy drives me nuts as the Cuisinart did before it with static electricity. Buddy of mine uses this unit with a glass catcher and gives it a thumbs up........  :thumb:

https://www.bodum.com/us/en/10903-913us-3-bistro

anyone have any other units that I should consider ?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Coffee grinders (burr) electric
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2020, 09:09 pm »
I've been using a Gaggia MDF for over a decade.  Static is a somewhat rare problem, but on bad days it can a nuisance.  I've use a friends Kitchen Aid which is also a good unit, and quieter than mine.  Both give a consistent grind.  But neither are hundred dollar grinders. 

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2020, 09:17 pm »
No more static hack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Dh1W40ILY

When I use my manual grinder, I add two drops of water to the whole beans, give it a gentle shake and grind away. It's Steely Dan FM good.

RPM123

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2020, 10:08 pm »
Baratza "Encore"...no static with this one.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2020, 12:54 am »
I've sort of gone off the coffee deep end during quarantine, and recently picked up a cafe-surplus Bunn G1 from a place that was closing down. Had about a gram of retention before doing some easy mods to the discharge chute, now it retains basically less than a bean's worth. 80mm flat burrs that are removable for cleaning with just a screwdriver, and all parts are shared with Gs going back decades. It's a two-foot tall, 50lb edifice for bean demolition...

morganc

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2020, 01:08 am »
I know there has been some talk in our long running 'coffee' discussion but I thought I'd start one specific to burr grinders. My current  unit (Shardor), while it grinds just dandy drives me nuts as the Cuisinart did before it with static electricity. Buddy of mine uses this unit with a glass catcher and gives it a thumbs up........  :thumb:

https://www.bodum.com/us/en/10903-913us-3-bistro

anyone have any other units that I should consider ?

The Bodum will wear out after a year or so (I've had two) and it is messy leaving grinds all over the counter. 

DeSelbyofDalkey

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2020, 01:33 am »
When I use my manual grinder, I add two drops of water to the whole beans, give it a gentle shake and grind away.

This.

Some types of bean carry more static charge than others. If ambient humidity is very low, static may build up more readily.

All grinders that I know of—even those that cost well north of USD 1000—will generate static when grinding. The better grinders use some form of grounding, usually a screen on the outlet chute—which usually causes clogging to develop more readily. Even good grounding will not obviate static buildup.

I put a few drops of water in the beans before grinding with my HG One manual grinder to help static electricity find a path to ground. It works very well for most beans. For some beans, nothing helps.

If you have an old Zerostat, it can be repurposed for neutralizing static in the grounds. It also makes an interesting conversation piece for those watching.

HTH

syzygy

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2020, 10:26 am »
My Rancilio Rocky has worked flawlessly for years. Definitely no static. I have the “doserless” version.

twitch54

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2020, 01:30 pm »
No more static hack.

When I use my manual grinder, I add two drops of water to the whole beans, give it a gentle shake and grind away. It's Steely Dan FM good.

I see the it working except that I keep the hopper full of beans, if measured out what I wanted to grind then did the water trick, I'll give it a try .....

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jul 2020, 01:43 pm »
It's an investment, but hard to beat a small commercial grinder like the Mazzer Mini for espresso and drip, but probably not a coarse grind as they are mainly espresso grinders.

JimJ has a good strategy though, with covid there maybe a lot of cheap commercial grinders out there, the Mazzer Major is pretty common and not quite as huge as some others. The Bunn he mentioned will grind a wide range, from coarse to fine, but typically isn't used in coffee shops, mostly supermarkets so I'm not sure how it compares to the espresso grinders like the Mazzers I mentioned.

CIAudio

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.ciaudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 8 Jul 2020, 01:56 pm »
I have a KitchenAid grinder and use a Zerostat to eliminate the static.

borism

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jul 2020, 02:28 pm »
+1 on Mazzer Mini for espresso. Have mine for over 10 years now with no issues.

mick wolfe

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jul 2020, 03:40 pm »
Baratza "Encore"...no static with this one.

+1. Same here :thumb:

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #13 on: 8 Jul 2020, 05:32 pm »
It's an investment, but hard to beat a small commercial grinder like the Mazzer Mini for espresso and drip, but probably not a coarse grind as they are mainly espresso grinders.

JimJ has a good strategy though, with covid there maybe a lot of cheap commercial grinders out there, the Mazzer Major is pretty common and not quite as huge as some others. The Bunn he mentioned will grind a wide range, from coarse to fine, but typically isn't used in coffee shops, mostly supermarkets so I'm not sure how it compares to the espresso grinders like the Mazzers I mentioned.

There are aftermarket burr sets for Bunns that give more adjustability on the espresso end, but yeah, the stock ones are better for pourover.

Sonny

« Reply #14 on: 8 Jul 2020, 06:14 pm »
I used one of these until I bought an espresso maker that comes with a grinder.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/oxo-brew-conical-burr-grinder-with-integrated-scale/1044790196?skuId=44790196&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3ZX4BRDmARIsAFYh7ZIZ68xlJon9UPDoxpK3RNj3PwL9hj7zHjvZUNQREny1UmWAdNIQhDAaAkdiEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Burr grinder and has an integrated scale so you get the "EXACT" amount desired.

T

avta

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jul 2020, 06:38 pm »
Whats your budget?

vonnie123

« Reply #16 on: 9 Jul 2020, 07:54 am »
Bartaza Encore.  Very useful entry level burr grinder.  $140.  Make great grounds for pour over coffee.

twitch54

« Reply #17 on: 9 Jul 2020, 11:22 am »
No more static hack.

well, I gave it a go, with no luck, still plenty of static. Perhaps my Sumatra beans are so inclined ?

Doublej

« Reply #18 on: 11 Jul 2020, 02:58 pm »
Major bummer. Some random thoughts. I assume the grinding chamber is plastic.

You could try a light spritz of water on the inside of the chamber or as others have indicated you could try zerostating the beans and/or collection vessel. I don't know if a spritz of water on the outside of the chamber or wrapping the outside with a wet paper towel would reduce static.

You might try grounding the Shardor or collection container in some additional fashion.

I would check the the outlet you have it plugged into just to confirm that it is wired correctly. You could consider using a cheater plug and see if orientation makes any difference.

While it might fix the static issue you probably don't want to use any Nordost Eco on the container.

twitch54

« Reply #19 on: 11 Jul 2020, 05:19 pm »
You know, I didn't think about giving it a shot from my zerostat gun, I'll try that tomorrow and report back