What new components have you heard or auditioned lately?

DTB300

Not much going on in this forum, so let's see what others have been doing in regards to component auditions....

Was out the other day  to hear the new Boulder Amps.  IMHO a nice sounding amp as long as it does not have to drive the low end at loud levels as it seems to not have control on the bass as well as I would like.  But when used in a bi-amp setup driving the mids and highs, it was a pleasure to listen to.

Been auditioning IC and Speaker Cables from Nordost, Straightwire, DH Labs, Audioquest, JPS Labs, and MIT over the past few months and for my setup and tastes, I am using the JPS Labs cables.

I am continuing to listen to the new Martin Logan speakers, the Summit and Vantage, through many different components and setups.  If you have the $$$ the Summits are great speakers.  For me and my tastes, the Wilson Audio Sophia while priced very close to the Summit would be a second option for me to consider.....if I was going to drop $10k on some speakers.

Not sure what I am going to do once Blue-Ray and HD-DVD players get out on the market full-time with some movies to watch.

BTW, don't forget there will be a "Get Together" at my home on 5/20.  If you are interested in attending, make sure to reply to the thread here in this forum on the meeting or drop me a PM.

Later....Dan

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2006, 08:16 pm »
Dan,

Nothing really new here.  Finally got a working APS Purepower 1050 power regenerator.  It works better for me in my system than EP or Running Spring ones.  If it wern't for the whining fan, it would be 10/10.  Applied Extreme SST on all the connectors including tube pins last week.  Impressive stuff.  I am ooking forward to stopping by your place on the 20th.  Do you want me to bring anything?

DTB300

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2006, 11:47 am »
Quote from: woodsyi
I am looking forward to stopping by your place on the 20th.  Do you want me to bring anything?

Music and whatever you are drinking.  

I will have food for everyone - right now looks like Hot Dogs/Hamburgers and Potatoe Salad.

Dan

pacifico

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2006, 04:37 pm »
thinking about getting the prima luna pre amp or gallo satellite speakers. I have to stick to a budget and haven't decide which would be more benficial, better speakers or a tubed preamp. Will audition the gallos very soon.

DTB300

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2006, 05:33 pm »
Quote from: pacifico
thinking about getting the prima luna pre amp or gallo satellite speakers. I have to stick to a budget and haven't decide which would be more benficial, better speakers or a tubed preamp. Will audition the gallos very soon.

Tough question there...Just buy both!!!   :lol:

For me I noticed a wonderful improvement when I upgraded both of these components in my system.   Thinking back, I would have to say my new speakers had a more dramatic change.

Dan

ricmon

« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2006, 05:50 pm »
I bought some new speakers.  While auditioning I listened to the Gallo Ref 3.1's.  I did not like the sound at all.  The music seamed to be all over the place and not very resolved That is on dense material they seemed to loose control over the presentation of the music. Also bad bass definition and control.

pacifico

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2006, 05:53 pm »
thats cool. the other option to the gallos is a pair of omegas and a good ACI sub for about the same $$$$. Much lower WAF though.