Ampzilla 2000 second edition

Rocket

Ampzilla 2000 second edition
« on: 25 Sep 2009, 04:02 pm »
Hi Guys,

I hope you don't mind me posting in this circle but it appears to be the closest that I can find to the topic.  I am after that last little bit of musical enjoyment from my system and boy the search for the perfect amplifier has cost me a fortune.

Last year I bought a pair of salk sound ht2's and had them shipped to Perth, Western Australia.  I really like these speakers.  I currently use a bel canto pre1, dac2 and Son of Ampzilla as amplifier.  I read the Dick Olsher review from Enjoy the Music and commenced dialogue with Underwood Hifi.  I initially enquired purchasing a second SOA for my system but Walter recommended purchasing the Ampzilla 2000 second edition. 

Fast forward about 4 months and the aussie dollar has continued its rise and I have just purchased a pair of Ampzilla 2000 second edition for my system.  I like the SOA in my system but I'm after a bit more transparency and I thought it sounded a little laid back for my taste.  I purchased the monoblocks and they output 300 watts per channel as opposed to using 2 SOA's.  The amplifier should arrive within a month and I'll post a review once it is broken in.  I sure hope it synergises with my system.

Has anyone heard a pair of these amplifiers?

Regards

Rocket
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2009, 02:57 am by Rocket »

JuanR

Re: Ampzilla 2000 second edition
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2009, 05:15 pm »
I have a pair  first edition, with VMPS R-40 for 5-6 years and enjoy every time, For the last few months I  have testing few tube amplifiers . I will like to do biamp, using tubes for mid and high and the ampzillas for low, some like CJ,AR, and neither one have the clarity of the 2000, mean for now I will continue with them.

Rocket

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2009, 01:05 am »
Hi Juan,

Glad that you like the amps.  I'm hoping that this will cure my 'upgraditis' and these amps will remain in my system for at least 10 years (well that is what I'm hoping for).  Its a lot of money for me to invest in an amplifier but I'm crossing my fingers that it synergies well with my bel canto pre1.

Btw why don't you contact JB and ascertain whether he can upgrade your amps to second edition.  It might work out cheaper for you than purchasing other gear.  The new amps are rated at over 300 watts per channel.

Regards

Rod

K Shep

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2009, 09:48 pm »
...I'm after a bit more transparency and I thought it sounded a little laid back for my taste.  The amplifier should arrive within a month and I'll post a review once it is broken in.  I sure hope it synergises with my system.

Rocket

Rocket,

Have you considered a different preamp in your system?  IMO you will hear more of an audible signature from your preamp than your amp. 

Your post is not clear to me, are you adding one more SOA and using two stereo amps in a mono configuration or are you purchasing a pair of mono block amps?

Kirk

Rocket

« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2009, 03:02 am »
Hi Kirk,

I have modified my post to ensure that it is clear what I have bought.  I went for the monoblock 300 watt version of the amplifier.  Apparently they use a similiar circuit as the Son of Ampzilla but are much more powerful.

I recentlyt bought a secondhand bel canto pre1 which replaced an N.E.W. p3 preamp that I used.  The bel canto was more transparent and has a better top end than the P3 preamp.  I agree that every piece of equipment makes a difference.  I was really concentrating on the amplifier because I may purchase another pair of salk sound speakers in the future that are less efficient and I needed at least 200 watts per channel.

Btw Walter from Underwood hifi recommends the new wyred 4 sound preamp and says it is very transparent.  I have no money for anymore purchases this year.  If there was a dealer in Australia these amps would have cost me about $15000au or thereabouts.

Regards

Rod

K Shep

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2009, 04:51 am »
Rod,

Thanks for the clarification.  Congrats on the monoblocks they should do very well.  I look forward to your follow up when your new amps arrive.

I hope you don't mind my recommendation, I am sharing my experience.  Bel Canto make good products (I have heard the pre 2) and I like the compact look and feel of their gear.

Kirk

Rocket

« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2009, 05:30 am »
Hi Kirk,

I guess when upgrading my system I need to do it in small steps because I'm not a rich person and I only earn an average wage.  Last year I bought salk sound ht2's and imported them into australia and I'm very happy with them.

I kind of fell into these amps because I was initially looking at a second SOA and operating them as monoblocks as per the dick olsher review from Enjoy the Music.  Because I have bought an amplifier and dac from Walter (underwood hifi) previously and I have a current SOA I was lucky enough to get a great price on the amplifier.  The aussie dollar is up at the moment compared with the US dollar and it was a great opportunity to purchase these amps at a price that I can JUST manage.  My credit card has taken a real hit and I will now have to pay it off  :duh:.

Whilst I'm sure there are better preamps that I can use I bought the  bel canto pre 1 and dac 2 for $1200au which was a bargain at the time.

Regards

Rod

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2009, 05:43 am »
I look forward to your review Rod....so far sounds good...extra power is always nice to have....even if you don't use it.... :rock:

I've not heard the new model...maybe "down the road" I will...

Hope all is well in Oz....Spring time right....nice ! 8)

Good luck... :thumb:

PS.....I'll add the link....some new here may not of seen or heard about these amps....
http://www.ampzilla2000.com/     :thumb:

K Shep

« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2009, 02:08 pm »
Hi Kirk,

I guess when upgrading my system I need to do it in small steps because I'm not a rich person and I only earn an average wage.  Last year I bought salk sound ht2's and imported them into australia and I'm very happy with them.

I kind of fell into these amps because I was initially looking at a second SOA and operating them as monoblocks as per the dick olsher review from Enjoy the Music.  Because I have bought an amplifier and dac from Walter (underwood hifi) previously and I have a current SOA I was lucky enough to get a great price on the amplifier.  The aussie dollar is up at the moment compared with the US dollar and it was a great opportunity to purchase these amps at a price that I can JUST manage.  My credit card has taken a real hit and I will now have to pay it off  :duh:.

Whilst I'm sure there are better preamps that I can use I bought the  bel canto pre 1 and dac 2 for $1200au which was a bargain at the time.

Regards

Rod

I agree with the small steps program.  That is how I have built my system.  Finding a dealer that you can trust is very important in this hobby IMO.  I like your choices in gear. 

Kirk

Rocket

« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2009, 12:36 am »
Hi Kirk,

I don't use local dealers to purchase my hifi gear from.  I know it is a risk but I use the direct method because it saves me a lot of money.  If I compare prices to the US it typically costs between 2 - 3 times the price of a component if purchased here in Australia compared with the US. 

As an example my new amplifier costs $7500US in the states but in Australia it would probably cost about $15 000.

I know its a risk to purchase when I haven't heard a product but its risk I take but it usually works out fine for me  :wink:.

Regards

Rod

K Shep

« Reply #10 on: 29 Sep 2009, 12:52 am »
Rod,

I was referring to Walter at Underwood Hi-fi.  He is taking good care of you and you trust him to ship equipment to Australia, I think thats great.  I have found a dealer here in San Francisco that I trust and he takes good care of me.  It is important to trust the person who suggests your equipment, they get to know your likes and dislikes and make recommendations based on their relationship with you. 

Kirk

Rocket

« Reply #11 on: 29 Sep 2009, 02:54 pm »
Hi Kirk,

Sorry about the misunderstanding regarding dealers.

I guess I am relying on his recommendation but also the recent reviews the amplifier is getting.  I also have an Son of Ampzilla to help me a little bit.  I was really swayed by the 300 watts per channel because it means I can consider a lot of different speakers.

Regards

Rod

K Shep

« Reply #12 on: 29 Sep 2009, 03:20 pm »
Hi Kirk,

Sorry about the misunderstanding regarding dealers.

I guess I am relying on his recommendation but also the recent reviews the amplifier is getting.  I also have an Son of Ampzilla to help me a little bit.  I was really swayed by the 300 watts per channel because it means I can consider a lot of different speakers.

Regards

Rod

Power, power and more power.  I am right there with you!  I really like your decision to go with monos.  I am interested to hear your impressions upgrading from a stereo amp to monos and what the audible change will be.   I will upgrade from my current Parasound A21 amp to Parasound JC-1 monos next, but I have blazed a trail through a bad case of upgraditis and I plan to settle down know and get used to my current setup.

Kirk