Favorite sources for tubes

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
Favorite sources for tubes
« on: 25 Apr 2007, 06:28 pm »
Well, I've just had my fifth 45 output tube die in 18 months.  I lucked out on e-bay and won a nice pair of NOS RCA/Cunninghams for less than $100, but I have to admit it's still getting expensive to keep my Yamamoto A-08S properly tubed.  I prefer the Emission Labs 45 tubes, but they're $449 a pair, and I've found 45s running up to $900 each!

What are your favorite sources for tubes, online or otherwise?  Who has the best selection?  The best prices? 

SET Man

Re: Favorite sources for tubes
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2007, 06:37 pm »
Well, I've just had my fifth 45 output tube die in 18 months.

Hey!

Ouch! That's suck! :( Was it a case of bad tubes? But 5 tubes?

Hmmm... Is you amp pushing the tube too hard? You might want to open it up and check all the V to see if it is out of whack?

Anyway, good luck. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2007, 06:47 pm »
Well, I've been told by the distributor and the manufacturer that the Yamamoto doesn't like to be on for longer than 8 hours at a time, and I've been guilty of exceeding that on numerous occasions...

There's a voltage meter on the amp, and it always reads at the correct amount, so I don't think it's the amp.

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2007, 08:17 pm »
Well, I've been told by the distributor and the manufacturer that the Yamamoto doesn't like to be on for longer than 8 hours at a time, and I've been guilty of exceeding that on numerous occasions...

There's a voltage meter on the amp, and it always reads at the correct amount, so I don't think it's the amp.

Hey!

Wha!? That is not good. Limited to 8 hours max? That is crazy if you ask me. :roll:

If that is true that I would not buy the amp at all! Even if is sound good... I rather give up some sound quality for a more reliable and longer operation time. :D

I once had my SET monoblocs on overnight. That was when it was pretty much brand spanking new... it was about 24 hours total I think to break it in. Honestly I couldn't sleep at all that night... but nothing happened :icon_lol: And the next day both amps measured well... with AC line V at about 125V if I remembered correctly :D

And of cause couple of times of which I ran them 8 to 10 hours straight... mostly during winter time on my days off. :D No problem! 

Anyway, if what your distributor told you is true you should not feel guilty about this what so ever... it is the manufacturer that should feel guilty about this! You know I suspected that they designed the amp with the operational point near or at the limit of the tubes. With higher AC line voltage and fluctuation this could cost the amp to push the tube even harder. :D Well, other tube experts here could correct me if I'm wrong or fill in on this. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2007, 09:14 pm »
I've run my SV811's continously for a lot longer than 8 hours...and their thoriated tungsten cathodes produce a heck of a lot more heat than a 45 does...the only one I've killed is due to my own stupidity, not the amp's fault.

I'd check the amp to make sure everything was OK, there's something wrong with that circuit if you're going through tubes that fast.

And 45's aren't really tubes you should be going through that fast :(

hmen

« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2007, 09:35 pm »
It sounds like something isn't right. That's too many tubes in too short a time. I've never seen this complaint about Yamamoto on any of the boards. And I've never heard of any amp that you're not supposed to use for more than 8 hours. Was that in the manual?  I'd get the amp checked out before splurging on more 45's.   

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2007, 09:36 pm »
I think I'll contact the distributor...thanks, everyone.

But still, what are everyone's favorite sources for tubes?

Toka

« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2007, 10:02 pm »
Jim McShane is a straight-up dude.

http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane/tubes.htm

mjosef

« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2007, 10:08 pm »

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #9 on: 25 Apr 2007, 10:13 pm »
I get my triodes from Parts Express, but that doesn't help you out much because they don't sell 45's.

There's usually a few amateur radio shows around in this area, I hit them up for the 6922's and 6EA7's I need.

Oh, and BTW...I liked your last article, this is coming from a former SL-1200 and current VPI owner  :thumb:

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #10 on: 25 Apr 2007, 10:52 pm »
Jim McShane is a straight-up dude.

http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane/tubes.htm

Great prices, indeed...but he needs to organize the list a little better!  My eyes hurt!

TONEPUB

« Reply #11 on: 26 Apr 2007, 07:02 am »
Andy at Vintage Tube Services is the best guy Ive run into...

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #12 on: 27 Apr 2007, 04:36 pm »
I've just found out that it's not the Yamamoto amp at all, but that a batch of the Emission Labs 45s may have been defective.  I had four of them, and three have gone bad after just a couple of hundred hours. So the distributor is trying to make everything right!

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #13 on: 27 Apr 2007, 04:40 pm »
That sucks, but at least it's an easily corrected problem :)

Nels Ferre

« Reply #14 on: 27 Apr 2007, 04:44 pm »

But still, what are everyone's favorite sources for tubes?

I use www.thetubestore.com. They offer a decent selection of new tubes, fair prices, and lightning fast delivery.

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #15 on: 27 Apr 2007, 05:58 pm »
That sucks, but at least it's an easily corrected problem :)

But now I've decided to sell all my Yamamoto gear! It has nothing to do with tube replacement, but rather an incredible deal Jeff Dorgay offered to me yesterday.  But I can only manage it if I sell the Yamamoto amp, preamp and step-up transformers.  I have it listed over on the classified circle.  I don't have it listed anywhere else, not Audiogon, not e-Bay, not rec.audio.marketplace.

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #16 on: 27 Apr 2007, 05:59 pm »
No one's mentioned Tube Depot yet...I dealt with them just once, but their price was the lowest, and the shipping was fast!

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #17 on: 27 Apr 2007, 06:21 pm »
I ordered a rectifier from Tube Depot once...yeah, the shipping was crazy fast for me too.

Joe Nino-Hernes

• Simplisitc Recording Concepts
« Reply #18 on: 28 Apr 2007, 04:43 am »
I always get my tubes from The Tube Store www.thetubestore.com. Their prices are great, and even though they are based in Canada, their shipping is incredibly fast.

TheChairGuy