New Phono stage: PH 9.0 MM/MC with on-the-fly loading!

twitch54

Re: New Phono stage: PH 9.0 MM/MC with on-the-fly loading!
« Reply #120 on: 25 Jan 2021, 04:57 pm »
I see here on the forum a S/N ratio of 76db (MC) mentioned, very nice. Why is it not published on the website under 'tech specifications' ?

nature boy

« Reply #121 on: 25 Jan 2021, 06:23 pm »
I think that post may be incorrect. The specifications on the PH 9.0 can be found here:

www.modwright.com/products/ph-90

Dan has mentioned output with the new PH 9.0X notification increases output somewhat, but I'd stick with the published 64dB output as top output for MC. Unless Dan notes otherwise. BTW this phono preamp handles my low output Dynavector 20X2 cartridge (output voltage 0.3mV) extremely well.

HK

twitch54

« Reply #122 on: 25 Jan 2021, 06:58 pm »
I think that post may be incorrect. The specifications on the PH 9.0 can be found here:

www.modwright.com/products/ph-90

Dan has mentioned output with the new PH 9.0X notification increases output somewhat, but I'd stick with the published 64dB output as top output for MC. Unless Dan notes otherwise. BTW this phono preamp handles my low output Dynavector 20X2 cartridge (output voltage 0.3mV) extremely well.

HK

you're confusing output (gain) with Signal-to-Noise ratio, two very different things. A S/N ratio of only 64 would be rather poor !

GregC

« Reply #123 on: 2 Feb 2021, 09:47 pm »
I just wanted to comment on my impressions from the 90x upgrade.

When I received the PH 90 back from Dan (after the upgrade to a 90x), I hooked it up and listened.  Unfortunately my auditory memory was not good enough to remember exactly how it sounded before the upgrade.  I liked the tone and my initial impression was positive.  However, the soundstage seemed slightly compressed and the high end sparkle seemed dampened compared to what I remember before.  I inquired with Dan regarding break-in time for the new transformers.  Dan said they should continue to improve for the first 100 hours.

I dug through my things and I found a Hagerman reverse RIAA box that I had purchased a few years back.  I hooked it up to my CD player and ran in the PH 9.0 for a week (to avoid unnecessary wear on my expensive cartridge).

Last night I finally hooked up the PH 9.0 to hear it after the transformers had some burn in time.  I was not prepared for what to expect.

The bass was articulate, accurate, and prodigious without being out of balance.  The airy highs were back (and surpassed) what I remember from before the upgrade.  The balance from top to bottom is remarkable.  The soundstage is huge without sounding unnatural.  The space around performers blends in a natural way like a live event.  Imaging is reach out and touch you on well recorded albums.

As a reference, the MC input sounds excellent, but the phono stage really shines when I feed the MM input with my Tribute Audio custom wound MC step up transformer.

I am thrilled with the upgrade.  My only advice is to reserve judgment until after the transformers have a chance to burn in.

Nonnegativ

« Reply #124 on: 14 Mar 2021, 03:34 pm »
My upgraded PH-9X arrived in Denmark a few weeks ago, and it has now had about 50 hours of use. I originally ordered the version with balanced out, but found that it sounded best single ended.

The upgrade is imo definitely worth the expense. It has transformed a great phonostage into a magnificent one. All it's original virtues are intact, but the insight into the music has expanded considerably due to it performing at a much higher level. I am now running balanced out with my favorite Amperex USN-CEP 7308's doing it's magic.

It is difficult to describe the update in audiophile terms, so let me try by giving score:

If the PH-9 has a score of 100 in it's original form, then the PH-9X would get a conservative 150 score in my book. That is quite a lot, as we are already up in the higher levels, where differences are small.

It is hard for me to believe it can get better than this after the transformers has had more playing time, but I will gladly accept it. 

All in all: If you upgrade, prepare yourself for quite a sonic revelation. I am extremely satisfied.

Best Wishes from Denmark

Carsten
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2021, 08:01 am by Nonnegativ »

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #125 on: 7 Dec 2021, 02:45 pm »
Hi Everyone,
I'm about to pull the trigger on the PH9.0x and wondered if there is a ugrade/replacement for the 6C45 Tubes that are in the unit or if it's even needed?
I don't see anything online in terms of a suitable equivalent.
Thanks
Rene

nature boy

« Reply #126 on: 7 Dec 2021, 03:52 pm »
The Sovtek 6C45 tubes are about the only option. Supposed to have a 10,000 hour lifespan, so should last a long time. I think Electro Harmonix produced a gold pin option at one time, but no longer. The Sovteks sound great, suggest you look at the 6922 tube options if you want to tube roll in the 9.0X.

NB

modwright

« Reply #127 on: 7 Dec 2021, 06:43 pm »
Just to confirm what has already been said. Yes, the 6C45 is a sole source part and yes they are rugged and last a VERY long time! They are an integral part of the first high gain stage. The 6922 is used in the final two gain stages and has much more impact on the sonics of the unit.

As the customer in Denmark said above, the 'X' version IS much better! While I am quite humbled by our Award Winning review in HiFi Choice UK, where our standard PH 9.0 came out on top, I can't wait for them to hear the 9.0X!

Please note that no later than Jan. 1, 2022, there will be price increases across the board for our products and the phono stages are very much impacted! All of our material and component costs as well as vendor costs have increased sharply in recent years and we have no choice but to increase our pricing!

If you are looking to buy a ModWright product, NOW is the time to contact your nearest dealer!

Thanks,

Dan Wright

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #128 on: 7 Dec 2021, 07:10 pm »
Just to confirm what has already been said. Yes, the 6C45 is a sole source part and yes they are rugged and last a VERY long time! They are an integral part of the first high gain stage. The 6922 is used in the final two gain stages and has much more impact on the sonics of the unit.

As the customer in Denmark said above, the 'X' version IS much better! While I am quite humbled by our Award Winning review in HiFi Choice UK, where our standard PH 9.0 came out on top, I can't wait for them to hear the 9.0X!

Please note that no later than Jan. 1, 2022, there will be price increases across the board for our products and the phono stages are very much impacted! All of our material and component costs as well as vendor costs have increased sharply in recent years and we have no choice but to increase our pricing!

If you are looking to buy a ModWright product, NOW is the time to contact your nearest dealer!

Thanks,

Dan Wright

Thanks so much Dan,
I'm currently using an AT-ART9xa Cartridge with an output of .2mV. I should be okay with the gain settings on the 9.0x, correct?

modwright

« Reply #129 on: 7 Dec 2021, 07:54 pm »
Yes, you will. The PH 9.0 standard has 6dB less gain and it would be a stretch. I use a .4mV cart and it is fine with both. The low output cart will work well with the 'X' version.

To be clear, the PH 9.0X has 6db MORE gain than the PH 9.0, via RCA or XLR.

Thanks,

Dan

RonP

« Reply #130 on: 8 Dec 2021, 02:21 am »

Dan,

could you give us a breakdown on good 6922 options to explore? I'm a tube noob.

modwright

« Reply #131 on: 8 Dec 2021, 04:42 pm »
We provide JJ ECC88's (equivalent to 6922, 7308, 6dj8). Considering ECC88 (Euro designation), 6dj8, 7dj8, 6922 and 7308 to be equivalent and all work in the unit:

Telefunken: VERY Detailed and fast sounding!
Siemens: Also very detailed and resolving.
Amperex: Resolving and very balanced.
Brimar or Mullard: British sound, a bit more warm and relaxed.

There are many more, but these are the ones that I have experience with and that pretty much cover the tonal spectrum.

The REAL expert is Andy at Vintage Tube Electronics: https://vintagetubeelectronics.com/
Note that Andy is old school and you are more likely to get him on the phone than get a speedy email reply. He is also very busy these days, but he is our go-to for good NOS tubes.

Thanks,

Dan

RonP

« Reply #132 on: 8 Dec 2021, 04:59 pm »
Just what I needed. Thanks, Dan! :thumb:

modwright

« Reply #133 on: 8 Dec 2021, 05:01 pm »
Most welcome!

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #134 on: 8 Dec 2021, 05:45 pm »
We provide JJ ECC88's (equivalent to 6922, 7308, 6dj8). Considering ECC88 (Euro designation), 6dj8, 7dj8, 6922 and 7308 to be equivalent and all work in the unit:

Telefunken: VERY Detailed and fast sounding!
Siemens: Also very detailed and resolving.
Amperex: Resolving and very balanced.
Brimar or Mullard: British sound, a bit more warm and relaxed.

There are many more, but these are the ones that I have experience with and that pretty much cover the tonal spectrum.

The REAL expert is Andy at Vintage Tube Electronics: https://vintagetubeelectronics.com/
Note that Andy is old school and you are more likely to get him on the phone than get a speedy email reply. He is also very busy these days, but he is our go-to for good NOS tubes.

Thanks,

Dan
+1 Dan is spot on with the those recommendations. Andy recommended these for my Modwright Pioneer LX-500. It's the most unbelievable tube I think I've heard to date. I will contact Andy again when I get my PH9.0x.  :D

modwright

HiFi Choice Grouptest Winner: PH 9.0 Tube Phono Stage!
« Reply #135 on: 16 Dec 2021, 01:12 am »

We are pleased to have our PH 9.0 tube phono stage reviewed in the UK by Hi-Fi Choice, where it was also compared to other phono stages in the same price range. Guess who came out on top?  :icon_lol:

Link to review in HI-FI Choice:
http://www.modwright.com/cms/resources/hfc481gtphonopreampsreprintmodright-low-2.pdf

Link to Group Test Verdit in HI-FI Choice:
http://www.modwright.com/cms/resources/hfc481gtoutroreprint-low-3.pdf

Huge thanks to David Vivian and HI-FI Choice!

billc

« Reply #136 on: 16 Dec 2021, 06:47 am »
Congratulations, Dan! As a PH 9.0X owner, I could not agree more.   :beer:

sunnydaze

« Reply #137 on: 16 Dec 2021, 12:59 pm »
I think the website link provided by Dan for Andy at Vintage Tube Services is incorrect? 

I believe this is the correct one:

http://vintagetubeservices.com/

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #138 on: 16 Dec 2021, 02:27 pm »
Ordered my PH9.0x, hoping to see it before Christmas. I don't see anything listed about fuse values or upgrading them. Will that void the warranty and is it even necessary? I do plan on replacing the 6922 tubes. Thanks Everyone!

modwright

« Reply #139 on: 16 Dec 2021, 06:25 pm »
Fuse size is 3A slow blow. It is located in the external supply. You simply remove the cover and fuse is in CE approved holder. Size = 5mmx20mm.

We are shipping units to Elite Audio, Reference Analog and a customer, tomorrow. We have another going to TMR on the 22nd. Hopefully yours is going out tomorrow!

Thanks,

Dan