Capital Audio Fest 2018

jsalk

Capital Audio Fest 2018
« on: 3 Nov 2018, 11:54 am »
When we started out, we received a lot of help from veterans in the industry.  So naturally, we want to "pay it forward" where we can.

About a year ago, Mike McGary emailed asking if we would be willing to supply speakers for a room at CAF so he could introduce his first major product--the McGary Audio SA1 tube amp. So I asked Mike to ship us one of his amps to make sure our speakers would be a good fit for him.  Needless to say, we were very impressed with Mike's work.  He clearly knew his stuff.

So this year at CAF, we are showing with McGary Audio in room 512.

How do things sound?  Well, "Blindsided" was the first word in Eric Franklin Shook's "10 Must See Rooms" report posted today on Part Time Audiohile.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2018/11/03/caf-2018-must-see-rooms-friday/

Congrats to Mike!  Now on to day two...

- Jim
« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2018, 09:12 pm by jsalk »

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Capital Audio Fest 2018
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2018, 08:43 pm »
Song3beat are the best Song series speakers I have heard.  Beryllium tweeters seem to be in vogue currently and I must say I like them.  These are kind of in the opposite camp of Exoticas in terms of sound.  Mids are not as rich but it's still full and in balance with sparkling high ends that makes for a very nice presentation.  Bass is good and tight as well.  I would definitely consider these if I am in the market for a ~$5k set of speakers.

ricmon

« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2018, 04:04 pm »
 I visited the Salk room and was indeed impress with the sound and remember ask Jim about that amp.......very nice sound from both.  :beer:

Ric

vkohl

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2018, 06:21 am »
Great pleasure to meet Mr. Salk in person !

As a proud owner of the HT3's , seeing SALK speakers at CAF 2018 was a great treat !

When they say " best bang for your buck " , the SALK speakers are real winners !

Scottdazzle

« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2018, 04:44 pm »
The new Salk speakers were the best Salk speakers I've ever heard. Great work Jim.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2018, 06:17 pm »
 Jim "The most interesting Man in the World" has created one of the most interesting speakers in the World.  :beer:

charles

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2018, 11:51 pm »
When we started out, we received a lot of help from veterans in the industry.  So naturally, we want to "pay it forward" where we can.

About a year ago, Mike McGary emailed asking if we would be willing to supply speakers for a room at CAF so he could introduce his first major product--the McGary Audio SA1 tube amp. So I asked Mike to ship us one of his amps to make sure our speakers would be a good fit for him.  Needless to say, we were very impressed with Mike's work.  He clearly knew his stuff.

So this year at CAF, we are showing with McGary Audio in room 512.

How do things sound?  Well, "Blindsided" was the first word in Eric Franklin Shook's "10 Must See Rooms" report posted today on Part Time Audiohile.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2018/11/03/caf-2018-must-see-rooms-friday/

Congrats to Mike!  Now on to day two...

- Jim

I just got an email from the Part Time Audiophile with a link to this review, and this time it had an insignia saying "Editors Choice  Top 5 Rooms" embedded in the text.  https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2018/11/16/caf-2018-mcgary-audio-salk-signature-sound-exogal-anticables-mouthwatering-sound/      I think it was referring to the Salk-McGary room.  I couldn't see any other interpretation. 

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2018, 08:57 pm »
I just got an email from the Part Time Audiophile with a link to this review, and this time it had an insignia saying "Editors Choice  Top 5 Rooms" embedded in the text.  https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2018/11/16/caf-2018-mcgary-audio-salk-signature-sound-exogal-anticables-mouthwatering-sound/      I think it was referring to the Salk-McGary room.  I couldn't see any other interpretation.

I’m using Song3’s (base model), the Exogal Comet dac, a Primaluna tube integrated, and anticables and it sounds amazing to me. Just switched to anticables a couple weeks ago and it was the first time I heard a significant difference in cables. So much more detail, bigger sound stage, more dynamic. And these are the 2.1 cables. Now I need to work on acoustics in my room. I don’t think the system can get much better without spending much more.