Making A Fine Cup

2bigears

Making A Fine Cup
« on: 10 Mar 2016, 03:54 pm »
 :D   Hi all you fine brew sippers ,, I've been doing the AeroPress thing for more than a few years now in combo with a Burr grinder.
           It's a fine brew maker.  But since then. Is there a new and better device as time always makes better things with the collective
              workings of all people on earth ,,,,  :D :D    just wondering ,,

mick wolfe

Re: Making A Fine Cup
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2016, 04:26 pm »
As much as I like the AeroPress, I've found the little Melitta 1-cup pour-through an excellent alternative. Picked one up at Ace one day for 4 or 5 bucks. Uses a #2 cone filter and is a breeze to clean up compared to the Aero. Just requires a decent tea kettle with spout that allows for a gentle slow pour.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2016, 04:29 pm »
There is another model out there, but its name escapes me. The crazy thing is I just showed it to my wife about 7 hours ago while we were in the coffee roaster's shop.  :duh: It's more expensive than the Aeropress, and it's more elegant looking. I'll ask about it tomorrow.

How does the Aeropress coffee/espresso compare to the stovetop style espresso maker? I've been using a stovetop model in our flat in Taiwan for the last couple years. It's not as good as my Rancilio Silvia II, but it's better than drip.

Nick77

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2016, 04:40 pm »
As much as I like the AeroPress, I've found the little Melitta 1-cup pour-through an excellent alternative. Picked one up at Ace one day for 4 or 5 bucks. Uses a #2 cone filter and is a breeze to clean up compared to the Aero. Just requires a decent tea kettle with spout that allows for a gentle slow pour.

+1   I also prefer this method to Aero for ease of effort. But I take a step further and plug the hole when I pour the water in and allow the grounds 30 sec to bloom and gentle agitation while dripping. Ive found nothing beats this method.  :green:

srb

« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2016, 04:43 pm »
How does the Aeropress coffee/espresso compare to the stovetop style espresso maker?

The Aeropress is not / does not make espresso, it's just a coffee maker.

I've been using it for ~ 3 years, but I use the inverted brewing method which makes it similar to using a French Press, only with easier grounds disposal and a finer filter with less sediment.  But it does have 4 or 5 parts to clean, so I would entertain a different method as well, but I don't want to have to slowly manually pour water through grounds over the course of several minutes.

It would also be nice to go back to ceramic or glass instead of plastic.  Maybe a ceramic pour over funnel with small enough hole and large enough size to be able to pour all of the water in at once and with a cover to reduce cool down.

Steve
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2016, 07:31 pm by srb »

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2016, 04:51 pm »
I'm a longtime Aeropress user, but it's been sitting unused in the kitchen cabinet for nearly a year. Though not "new" technology, I went back to my Chemex pour over brewer and their oxygen-cleansed filters (can't stand the smell and flavor of the unbleached ones). GREAT coffee! It consistently gives me outstanding results (occasionally I'll pull out the Able stainless steel filter, but I much prefer the Chemex paper filters).  I use both the Chemex and Aeropress with a burr grinder and Hario V60 electric kettle.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2016, 04:56 pm »

It would also be nice to go back to ceramic or glass instead of plastic.  Maybe a ceramic pour over funnel with small enough hole and large enough size to be able to pour all of the water in at once and with a cover to reduce cool down.

My wife uses the Bonavita Immersion Dripper which has a built-in plug on the base with lever you slide to open/close. I think it holds up to 16oz. Porcelain and even includes a (plastic) cover!

RPM123

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2016, 05:44 pm »
Unfamiliar with the Aeropress. I've been using the "Bonavita" for months now and I am quite happy with it. But, if you want the "ultimate" in home brewing, then check out the "Ratio Eight".  :o

http://www.clivecoffee.com/product/ratio-coffee-machine.html

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2016, 05:53 pm »
I'm a longtime Aeropress user, but it's been sitting unused in the kitchen cabinet for nearly a year. Though not "new" technology, I went back to my Chemex pour over brewer and their oxygen-cleansed filters (can't stand the smell and flavor of the unbleached ones). GREAT coffee! It consistently gives me outstanding results (occasionally I'll pull out the Able stainless steel filter, but I much prefer the Chemex paper filters).  I use both the Chemex and Aeropress with a burr grinder and Hario V60 electric kettle.

A coworker and I just had a conversation yesterday about the Aeropress vs Chemex pot and he prefers the Chemex as well. I think I'll have to try it sometime...

srb

« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2016, 06:03 pm »
But, if you want the "ultimate" in home brewing, then check out the "Ratio Eight".  :o

Very sleek, sexy and tasteful and I really like the automatic bloom stage.  But $570?  Ouch.  The satin finished die-cast aluminum and Oregon walnut is very nice.  But budget-wise I think I need a "Ratio 4".  Or "Ratio 2". (ABS thermoplastic for all non water contact parts)  ;)

Definitely nice industrial design, though, like an Apple computer.  Glass water reservoir and supply lines, too.  Sweet!

Steve
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2016, 07:33 pm by srb »

mick wolfe

« Reply #10 on: 10 Mar 2016, 06:04 pm »
There is another model out there, but its name escapes me. The crazy thing is I just showed it to my wife about 7 hours ago while we were in the coffee roaster's shop.  :duh: It's more expensive than the Aeropress, and it's more elegant looking. I'll ask about it tomorrow.

How does the Aeropress coffee/espresso compare to the stovetop style espresso maker? I've been using a stovetop model in our flat in Taiwan for the last couple years. It's not as good as my Rancilio Silvia II, but it's better than drip.

If the stovetop you're referring to is the Italian Bialetti, my preference would be the Aeropress. You have much more control over the final product. The Bialetti is another coffee making device that's collecting dust on the shelf at my place. (not unlike my closet of audio cast-offs) As mentioned already, if you want true espresso, you'll have to go back to the Rancilio or similar.

RPM123

« Reply #11 on: 10 Mar 2016, 06:12 pm »
Very sleek, sexy and tasteful and I really like the automatic bloom stage.  But $570?  Ouch.  The satin finished die-cast aluminum and Oregon walnut is very nice.  But budget-wise I think I need a "Ratio 4".  Or "Ratio 2". (ABS thermoplastic for all non water contact parts)  ;)

Steve

Yes, expensive indeed, but cheaper than a lot of cables out there.  :wink:

srb

« Reply #12 on: 10 Mar 2016, 06:17 pm »
Yes, expensive indeed [the Clive Coffee Ratio Eight], but cheaper than a lot of cables out there.  ;)

Well, now you've just made it seem like the bargain of the year!  ;)

Steve

RPM123

« Reply #13 on: 10 Mar 2016, 06:22 pm »
Well, now you've just made it seem like the bargain of the year!  ;)

Steve

Plus, there is unlikely to be any way to upgrade once you have one!  :D

randytsuch

« Reply #14 on: 10 Mar 2016, 06:58 pm »
Let's see, I have:
Bialetti
A different stove top espresso machine that makes "real" espresso, forget the name.
Aeropress
Espro Press (french press with better filtering)
Clever Coffee Dripper
One cup pour over dripper
Black and Decker Brew and Go one cup coffee maker
Expobar office Control HX espresso machine  (modded to add a thermocouple to measure group head temp)

Most days I use the Expobar, make a espresso, a cap or a cafe americano.  I had an americano this morning, but had been making espresso's lately.  It's actually pretty quick and easy, and not much to clean up.

I like the aeropress, and use it the 2nd most right now.  I use the inverted method, and a LOT of coffee (around 32 grams).  Comes out very strong, which is maybe why I like it.

Oh, and when I'm lazy or in a hurry, I use the Black and Decker.

Randy

rockadanny

« Reply #15 on: 10 Mar 2016, 07:44 pm »
I do mine caveman style. Nuke a cup of water to boiling point, then stir in a heaping teaspoon of this stuff I got hooked on while in Brazil on business:

Let it settle for 5 minutes and enjoy. This coffee is ground to a powder, but I've done this method with regular ground coffee as well. Easy-peasy!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #16 on: 10 Mar 2016, 08:07 pm »
I do mine caveman style. Nuke a cup of water to boiling point, then stir in a heaping teaspoon of this stuff I got hooked on while in Brazil on business:

Let it settle for 5 minutes and enjoy. This coffee is ground to a powder, but I've done this method with regular ground coffee as well. Easy-peasy!
Whats your opinion from this brazilian coffee regarding the US brands?

roscoe65

« Reply #17 on: 10 Mar 2016, 08:44 pm »

I too have an Aeropress which I haven't used in over a year.  My favorite now is the Hario Woodneck pour over.  It is similar to the Chemex except it uses a reusable flannel filter.  Once you have run a few cups of coffee through it gives a perfect brew with no paper taste.  I keep the filter in the freezer between uses.

Nick77

« Reply #18 on: 10 Mar 2016, 08:50 pm »
A coworker and I just had a conversation yesterday about the Aeropress vs Chemex pot and he prefers the Chemex as well. I think I'll have to try it sometime...

I have a Chemex also and works great when I need multiple cups at once. +1

rockadanny

« Reply #19 on: 11 Mar 2016, 03:39 pm »
Whats your opinion from this brazilian coffee regarding the US brands?

I find it has a more robust, deeper kind of flavor. Also not as bitter in comparison to store bought, packaged kinds of coffee available in the US. Have never tried fresh ground, so not comparing to that, just the packaged stuff: Maxwell House, Starbucks, etc., other off the shelf types.