Home Theater and SP Tech Speakers

Double Ugly

Re: Home Theater and SP Tech Speakers
« Reply #20 on: 4 May 2008, 01:58 am »
It does look good, Ted, and has been a long time coming.  I've no doubt the wait was worth it though, and the tweeter upgrade must've been icing on the cake.

Looking forward to your full review, especially once Bob finishes with the external umbilicals.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #21 on: 4 May 2008, 02:10 am »
Damn Ted, that is one incredibly sweet looking room you have there. As a fellow HT fan, I can only dream of watching a concert on that system. Don't matter who'd be playing, it would all sound too cool,,, especially if you're sitting in the sweet spot.  :drool: And I can appreciate that also. :thumb:

Ted, you da man!  :notworthy: Congratulations.

Cheers,
Robin

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #22 on: 4 May 2008, 05:03 am »
Thanks for the nice compliments on the room and setup.  You guys helped me get here.

Wow, the advantages of having 5 identical (not to mention hi end masterpieces) drivers is a wonderful thing.  I put on various mch discs tonight, but one in particular, Beck Guero, is a sort of sweet-n-sour soup, mixed with grit, nails and leather.  It has so many pop/alt textures, from true hip-hop to alt country.  The SP Tech Rev/Continuum combo shined, and relayed all the tones and textures perfectly.  Can't wait to get these crossovers broken in!

I'm geeked.   :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #23 on: 4 May 2008, 05:19 am »
Nice !!!!  :rock:

Welcome to Geekdom Ted..... :lol:  :dance:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 4 May 2008, 10:44 pm »
Some have asked what the room looks like for movie setup.  Here's a shot with the diffusor drapes opened. The 7.1 movie setup still uses the front three SP Tech's.  The surrounds are then switched from the Continuum AD rears ( for 5.1 multichannel music) to the Alon sides and rears (dipoles, for 7.1 movies).  Those Alons are wall/slope mounted and use a different amp (Anthem PVA 5, one channel unused) than the Continuums, so it's just a flick of a switch.

rydenfan

« Reply #25 on: 5 May 2008, 12:40 am »
We have seen the fronts and back, but where is the gear placed?

IronLion

« Reply #26 on: 5 May 2008, 12:42 am »
I think its skillfully hidden behind that center channel...looks like the top of a rather large pre or power amp behind the custom center channel. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 5 May 2008, 01:17 am »
We have seen the fronts and back, but where is the gear placed?

It all runs from an Imod and a Nuforce Icon that sit in my front right pocket.   :lol:

Actually, the front of the room has a McCormack DNA-500 (main Revelations amp) and a McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe (center channel Continuum amp).  They are stacked via Adona rack, behind the center channel.  Bob was nice enough to produce those speaker stands as part of the original quote, but I'll likely have someone like Sound Anchors build a 4 post stand that has enough room underneath, between the posts, to house the Mundorf crossover, that currently sits aside the DNA-500 and is in the way of everything back there.

The right side wall is where the source equipment, and the movie surround amps sit.  I have one stack of audio equipment that sits on the right wall, just in front of the listening position (Rega tt, Modwright Transporter, Modwright PS 36.5, Modwright LS 36.5, Audience Adept Response AR12 power conditioner, ps for Rega, Dynavector P75 phono pre) and one stack for mainly video (Onkyo 885 processor, Samsung Blu-Ray, Oppo 980 DVD, Velodyne SMS-1 sub EQ, Anthem PVA5 amp) connected via a 2 meter HT bypass set of cables.  Bluejean HDMI runs from that stack to the ceiling mounted DLP pj.  My music surround amp (currently Rotel RB-991, soon to be McCormack DNA-250) sits behind the rear sofa, on an Adona amp stand, against the back wall and is connected via 4M BlueJean XLR's to the processor.

This pic shows audio and video stacks.  It also shows the patched area where HDMI cabling was run from ceiling mounted DLP pj to main equipment area.

In next month or so the walls will be dark gray, the ceiling and sloped areas will be black, and the carpet will be a gray/black pattern (carpet ordered).  The area behind the main listening seat row will be raised on an 8 inch riser, even with the foyer entrance (where I stood to take this shot).  That area includes the sofa, sofa table, video equipment stack and Continuum surround speakers.

rydenfan

« Reply #28 on: 5 May 2008, 01:06 pm »
It all runs from an Imod and a Nuforce Icon that sit in my front right pocket.   :lol:

That is freakin hilarious! I am assuming you much prefer you Bose noise-cancelling headphones to the Revs for you critical listening with that setup?

Thanks for the pic and description. Sweeeet setup! Now I need to make my way there and have you move the Continuums to the front so I can see what they would sound like as fronts...  :wink:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #29 on: 5 May 2008, 06:23 pm »
Beautiful room Ted and great system. Hell, I'm a dealer and my room is not that nice.  It's probably for the best as I would never get any work done. More of a 'working facility' rather than a showroom.
 We'll be following your comments as things settle in.

By the way, can you turn it up just a bit? I like that song!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #30 on: 7 May 2008, 06:25 am »
rydenfan...
Now I need to make my way there and have you move the Continuums to the front so I can see what they would sound like as fronts...

That would make for a interesting comparison in a 2 channel (stereo) setup...to listen to both sets, and note what is different between the two pairs (Continuum vs Revelation). 8)

rydenfan

« Reply #31 on: 7 May 2008, 01:40 pm »
rydenfan...
Now I need to make my way there and have you move the Continuums to the front so I can see what they would sound like as fronts...

That would make for a interesting comparison in a 2 channel (stereo) setup...to listen to both sets, and note what is different between the two pairs (Continuum vs Revelation). 8)

I agree! Revs are out of my budget, but the Continuums are right in there  :drool:

Double Ugly

« Reply #32 on: 7 May 2008, 02:09 pm »
rydenfan...

They were in adjoining rooms at the 2004 RMAF, and the differences were very noticeable to me.  Now that was two iterations ago, and they were in different rooms with different supporting equipment, etc..  Nevertheless, though the differences may be less obvious today, I suspect the Rev's lower crossover slope (12dB/octave vs. 24) and T-line (best bass in the world IMHO) will still set them apart.

But as several owners here will happily attest, the Continuums are stellar performers.  Falling just short of the Revelation's performance is nothing to be ashamed of, and in fact should be reason for celebration.  :wink:

bhobba

« Reply #33 on: 8 May 2008, 04:37 am »
But as several owners here will happily attest, the Continuums are stellar performers.  Falling just short of the Revelation's performance is nothing to be ashamed of, and in fact should be reason for celebration.  :wink:

Here here.  The fact that the Mini's are so close in everything except the bass, and may have an edge in the disappearing department, simply confirms them as possibly the biggest bargain in HI Fi.

Thanks
Bill

br85

« Reply #34 on: 10 Jul 2009, 03:28 am »
I was going to pipe up and say something about the center channel being toppled (normally toppled MTM is a BIG no-no) but then I remembered the crossover frequency of that tweeter  :duh:

Carry on. Much jealousy.