Bypass Capacitors?

GETRDUN

Re: Bypass Capacitors?
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jan 2018, 07:28 pm »
I imagine that Jeff G is still busy or on vacation? Do any of you guys know the telephone number to SonicCraft? I was looking on that site, but no contact number!  :?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 10 Jan 2018, 07:55 pm »
You can reach the Sonic Craft office guys at:
http://www.soniccraft.com/contact_us.php
Or in the DIYaudio.

GETRDUN

« Reply #22 on: 10 Jan 2018, 08:26 pm »
You can reach the Sonic Craft office guys at:
http://www.soniccraft.com/contact_us.php
Or in the DIYaudio.

Thanks! I saw that on the site! Just wondering why no contact number?

Stimpy

« Reply #23 on: 11 Jan 2018, 01:31 am »
Thanks! I saw that on the site! Just wondering why no contact number?

"why no contact number?", I wouldn't give it out either.  Especially when your clients are as geeky as we are!

True story.  A few years back, I was in Vegas for CES.  While running around The Zoo, and off-site to the high end displays, I asked one of my cabbies about the other conventions in town, and which were popular?  Also, did the audio geeks or the computer nerds spend more time at their respective conventions, or were they all over at the AVN Adult Expo?  The cabbie said none of the audio guys were at the XXX convention, but all the computer nerds were there!  I'm still not sure if that was funny or sad, (for us audio guys)?   :lol:

GETRDUN

« Reply #24 on: 11 Jan 2018, 08:52 pm »
"why no contact number?", I wouldn't give it out either.  Especially when your clients are as geeky as we are!

True story.  A few years back, I was in Vegas for CES.  While running around The Zoo, and off-site to the high end displays, I asked one of my cabbies about the other conventions in town, and which were popular?  Also, did the audio geeks or the computer nerds spend more time at their respective conventions, or were they all over at the AVN Adult Expo?  The cabbie said none of the audio guys were at the XXX convention, but all the computer nerds were there!  I'm still not sure if that was funny or sad, (for us audio guys)?   :lol:

LOL. I guess it would get very aggravating with flooded calls with numerous questions on audio components!

BTW, I am considering upgrading some older built crossovers that have Solen caps and cheap resistors in the circuit!  :dunno: Was wondering if you are someone else could tell me what brand would be a good replacement? I was thinking of perhaps Erse, Mundorf, Clarity, Audyn, etc?

LarryD56

« Reply #25 on: 12 Jan 2018, 01:13 am »
I did my cap research at the Capacitor Shootout by Humble Homemade HiFi.

L.D.

GETRDUN

« Reply #26 on: 12 Jan 2018, 02:07 am »
I did my cap research at the Capacitor Shootout by Humble Homemade HiFi.

L.D.

So which ones do you have in your speaker crossovers?

Stimpy

« Reply #27 on: 12 Jan 2018, 02:13 am »
BTW, I am considering upgrading some older built crossovers that have Solen caps and cheap resistors in the circuit!  :dunno: Was wondering if you are someone else could tell me what brand would be a good replacement? I was thinking of perhaps Erse, Mundorf, Clarity, Audyn, etc?

The only after market resistors that I've tried are Mills.  They seem well made, but I don't have much listening time on them yet.

As to caps, I've used Axon True Caps for shunts, ClarityCap CSA's and ESA's, Dayton 5%, and Mundorf EVO Oils, Supremes, and Supreme Silver Oils.  The Dayton's are clear and fairly neutral, if a little sibilent.  A bypass cap helped with that.  The Clarity's seem nice.  Warm and relaxed.  Tube like.  But veiled to me, and a bit rolled off in the upper mids and high end.  I hope more burn in helps with that?  Now, the Mundorf's seemed instantly crystal clear.  As many say, like a window was opened, and the music was more real.  Easy to listen to.  I'll probably only use Mundorf's in the future. 

I haven't tried any of the other caps that you mentioned, though I'd like to hear the Audyn's.  They get good feedback, and are reasonably priced.

GETRDUN

« Reply #28 on: 12 Jan 2018, 05:14 pm »
The only after market resistors that I've tried are Mills.  They seem well made, but I don't have much listening time on them yet.

As to caps, I've used Axon True Caps for shunts, ClarityCap CSA's and ESA's, Dayton 5%, and Mundorf EVO Oils, Supremes, and Supreme Silver Oils.  The Dayton's are clear and fairly neutral, if a little sibilent.  A bypass cap helped with that.  The Clarity's seem nice.  Warm and relaxed.  Tube like.  But veiled to me, and a bit rolled off in the upper mids and high end.  I hope more burn in helps with that?  Now, the Mundorf's seemed instantly crystal clear.  As many say, like a window was opened, and the music was more real.  Easy to listen to.  I'll probably only use Mundorf's in the future. 

I haven't tried any of the other caps that you mentioned, though I'd like to hear the Audyn's.  They get good feedback, and are reasonably priced.

Thanks Stimpy! I've looked at the Dayton caps before, but was under the impression that they were cheap and on the same line as a Bennic or Solen! Perhaps I may have judged them wrong? Perhaps you can tell me what series Dayton caps you tried. I see they have the DMPC, DFFC and PMPC series.

Perhaps I will try the Mundorfs. Is there a particular series that you prefer, such as the Mcap, Tubecap, Supreme, Silver Oil/Siver-Gold Oil?

I have also heard good results with the Audyn Plus caps! Gotta love cap rolling  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #29 on: 12 Jan 2018, 05:54 pm »
This is a old cap test result from Lampizator site,
Iam posting it again to your meditation:

Stimpy

« Reply #30 on: 13 Jan 2018, 01:19 am »
Thanks Stimpy! I've looked at the Dayton caps before, but was under the impression that they were cheap and on the same line as a Bennic or Solen! Perhaps I may have judged them wrong? Perhaps you can tell me what series Dayton caps you tried. I see they have the DMPC, DFFC and PMPC series.

Perhaps I will try the Mundorfs. Is there a particular series that you prefer, such as the Mcap, Tubecap, Supreme, Silver Oil/Siver-Gold Oil?

I have also heard good results with the Audyn Plus caps! Gotta love cap rolling  :thumb:

Of the 3 Dayton caps, I've used the DMPC's and the DFFC's as bypass caps.  I was pleasantly surprised by the DMPC's, as they are the cheaper PE Dayton 5% caps.  They sounded very balanced and smooth, with good soundstage width and depth.  Not too warm or sterile either.  But, I did hear some spittiness and a little sibilence occasionally, in the upper mids.  Not often, mainly an SSS sibilance.  So I used a DFFC Film & Foil bypass cap and that cured the sibilence.

I haven't tried the PMPC Dayton 1% caps yet.  I wouldn't hesitate to try them, if needed.  And they did get a positive review from Tony Gee at Humble Homemade HiFi.  Or at least the Bennic version did, as they make the Dayton caps.

As far as Mundorf, I usually use the Aluminum EVO Oil series.  A middle of the line series, that to me, offers a good performance for the price, reward.  Plus, the EVO Oils are used when making Mundorf Supreme capacitors, so they must be pretty decent.  Just less costly.  Which is good.  More open and airy.  Maybe not as warm as the ClarityCaps, but not rolled off either.  I guess I like a balanced and a detailed response.  Not too syrupy, like the Clarity's (to me, IMHO).

LarryD56

« Reply #31 on: 13 Jan 2018, 01:33 am »
I put in a Mundorf EVO Aluminum and Clarity CSA combination in the midrange circuit. I put CSAs in the treble. The CSAs are nice and clear with no glare in the tweets. The EVO in the midrange is very revealing, almost too revealing. I'm waiting for them to burn in and smooth out. It's been a few weeks. No conclusion yet on the EVOs. CSAs get two thumbs up.

Larry D.

Stimpy

« Reply #32 on: 13 Jan 2018, 02:47 pm »
I put in a Mundorf EVO Aluminum and Clarity CSA combination in the midrange circuit. I put CSAs in the treble. The CSAs are nice and clear with no glare in the tweets. The EVO in the midrange is very revealing, almost too revealing. I'm waiting for them to burn in and smooth out. It's been a few weeks. No conclusion yet on the EVOs. CSAs get two thumbs up.

Larry D.

Hi Larry,

Just curious, what speakers did you recap?  Strictly CSA's on the tweeters, and EVO Oil's on the rest?  I like the CSA's and ESA's that I just used for a recent recap, but to me they still sound somewhat muted in the highs.  They don't seem to play as loud as the stock caps either, which makes me wonder if they have a higher ESR?

Oh yea, I used EVO Oils on a different recap.  I haven't finished the speakers yet, but I hope they aren't too revealing like yours seem to be?  Though, I do like balance and clarity.  So, I should like them.

Thanks.

LarryD56

« Reply #33 on: 13 Jan 2018, 05:12 pm »
The speakers I re-capped are Infinity RS II's. I used a 100uf EVO Aluminum Oil and 47uf Clarity CSA in the midrange circuit. If you check the capacitor shootout they specify that there is a noticeable step up in sound quality from the ESA to the CSA. I used the CSA to tone down the revealing EVO OIL since the CSA is supposed to be neutral. I like details, but if the upper midrange is too revealing I get fatigued quickly. I was trying to avoid that. We will hear what happens down the road.

Larry D.

Stimpy

« Reply #34 on: 13 Jan 2018, 09:12 pm »
The speakers I re-capped are Infinity RS II's. I used a 100uf EVO Aluminum Oil and 47uf Clarity CSA in the midrange circuit. If you check the capacitor shootout they specify that there is a noticeable step up in sound quality from the ESA to the CSA. I used the CSA to tone down the revealing EVO OIL since the CSA is supposed to be neutral. I like details, but if the upper midrange is too revealing I get fatigued quickly. I was trying to avoid that. We will hear what happens down the road.

Larry D.

Thanks.  But, didn't we discuss this recap in the Infinity Forum over at AK?  'Cause this sounds familiar!   :thumb:

I really should use the same nickname at all the sites I hang out in.  Same avatar too.  Then, maybe our socializing would be less confusing?   :D

LarryD56

« Reply #35 on: 13 Jan 2018, 09:59 pm »
Yeah, we did discuss that on AK. I came over here to figure out what I wanted to purchase for caps. I do like detail in music so I went with the EVO combination on the mids.

I keep looking around for more information because I may re-cap a pair of Von Schweikert VR-2000's.

Larry D.

GETRDUN

« Reply #36 on: 15 Jan 2018, 05:43 am »
Of the 3 Dayton caps, I've used the DMPC's and the DFFC's as bypass caps.  I was pleasantly surprised by the DMPC's, as they are the cheaper PE Dayton 5% caps.  They sounded very balanced and smooth, with good soundstage width and depth.  Not too warm or sterile either.  But, I did hear some spittiness and a little sibilence occasionally, in the upper mids.  Not often, mainly an SSS sibilance.  So I used a DFFC Film & Foil bypass cap and that cured the sibilence.

I haven't tried the PMPC Dayton 1% caps yet.  I wouldn't hesitate to try them, if needed.  And they did get a positive review from Tony Gee at Humble Homemade HiFi.  Or at least the Bennic version did, as they make the Dayton caps.

As far as Mundorf, I usually use the Aluminum EVO Oil series.  A middle of the line series, that to me, offers a good performance for the price, reward.  Plus, the EVO Oils are used when making Mundorf Supreme capacitors, so they must be pretty decent.  Just less costly.  Which is good.  More open and airy.  Maybe not as warm as the ClarityCaps, but not rolled off either.  I guess I like a balanced and a detailed response.  Not too syrupy, like the Clarity's (to me, IMHO).

Thanks again for that info! I was leaning towards trying either the Mundorf EVO oils like you and Larry mentioned, or perhaps the Jantzen Z-Superior caps. I was also considering ordering some of the Audyn Copper Foil caps .1uF for bypassing, but I think I may order the CDE caps that Tony Gee mentions for bypassing everywhere.

Maybe later on I may try the Audyn CF's .1uF's and also add the CDE's .01uF in parallel? This cap rolling hobby can get a little on the expensive side!  :green:

Stimpy

« Reply #37 on: 16 Jan 2018, 03:43 pm »
Thanks again for that info! I was leaning towards trying either the Mundorf EVO oils like you and Larry mentioned, or perhaps the Jantzen Z-Superior caps. I was also considering ordering some of the Audyn Copper Foil caps .1uF for bypassing, but I think I may order the CDE caps that Tony Gee mentions for bypassing everywhere.

Maybe later on I may try the Audyn CF's .1uF's and also add the CDE's .01uF in parallel? This cap rolling hobby can get a little on the expensive side!  :green:

You're welcome.  I hope that my info has been useful?

Also, if I try some different bypass caps, I'll probably try the some of the Cornell Dubilier 940C capacitors, that Tony Gee seems to like so well.  Now.  Not too expensive, and cheaper than the next level of caps.

https://www.mouser.com/Cornell-Dubilier/Passive-Components/Capacitors/Film-Capacitors/940C-Series/_/N-9x371?P=1z0yljnZ1z0zlgf

If you do try the Jantzen's or the Audyn's, you might consider the ClarityCap MR or CMR series too.  They get raves reviews at the Polk Forum.  But, I'm getting a bit burned out on burn in, and capacitors.  This cap stuff is driving me crazy.  The CD 940C's might be next, then I'm done.     :o

GETRDUN

« Reply #38 on: 17 Jan 2018, 03:45 am »
You're welcome.  I hope that my info has been useful?

Also, if I try some different bypass caps, I'll probably try the some of the Cornell Dubilier 940C capacitors, that Tony Gee seems to like so well.  Now.  Not too expensive, and cheaper than the next level of caps.

https://www.mouser.com/Cornell-Dubilier/Passive-Components/Capacitors/Film-Capacitors/940C-Series/_/N-9x371?P=1z0yljnZ1z0zlgf

If you do try the Jantzen's or the Audyn's, you might consider the ClarityCap MR or CMR series too.  They get raves reviews at the Polk Forum.  But, I'm getting a bit burned out on burn in, and capacitors.  This cap stuff is driving me crazy.  The CD 940C's might be next, then I'm done.     :o

Yes your info has been very helpful, Thanks again! I wouldn't give up just yet! Perhaps you should try the Audyn CF caps in a small value and use them as a bypass cap. I realize they are not a Jupiter, but may be worth the money to try! I may still get some to see how they mate up with a higher value cap. Maybe try using a .01uF CDE along with a .1 Audyn CF paralleled on your Mundorf EVO oils?

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #39 on: 17 Jan 2018, 04:10 am »
I look at By-pass caps like i do tubes in my Buffer.  :D :D :D