The Honeymoon Ain't Over Yet...

Wind Chaser

The Honeymoon Ain't Over Yet...
« on: 13 Mar 2018, 09:16 pm »
The little Cherry amps arrived 5 months ago and they have been working pretty much nonstop around the clock amplifying an incoming signal 24/7. With the exception of a power outage or the need to switch out a cable or a component, they will be left on operating continuously. Try that with a tube amp.  :wink:

5 months in and not a trace of listener fatigue, these amps are exceedingly musical. Do I miss any of the tube amps (SETs included) they displaced? Honestly??

Hell no! Quite frankly I'm glad they're all gone. I think tube amps have come as far as they can go. If you want something better, something musically more satisfying, Tommy's Cherry Class D amps have it. They simply get out of the way and let the music flow. But make sure you feed them with the best source you can, cables included... 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=155498.0

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: The Honeymoon Ain't Over Yet...
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2018, 09:24 pm »
Try that with a tube amp.  :wink:

No need to, I can turn it on AND off as needed.  :wink:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2018, 09:35 pm »
Yes, with tube amps you NEED to turn them off. That's pretty much a given, as with putting a diaper on a baby's bottom.  :lol:

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2018, 11:01 pm »
Yes, with tube amps you NEED to turn them off. That's pretty much a given, as with putting a diaper on a baby's bottom.  :lol:

Well, you don't have to do either but you usually end up with a real mess :duh:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2018, 11:48 pm »
Keep in mind the Maraschino (except Golden Cherry) also has auto-sleep, so power consumption automatically goes close to zero about 8 minutes after you stop playing your music....

By the way, we added more Maraschinos here today.  Take a look at the DEMO PAIR:
http://kck.st/2CH4sLB

Try and find a Class-D amp that's replacing tube amps anywhere near as much as the Maraschino....  The other guys aren't "juicy" like a Cherry (:

Thanks, Wind Chaser, for your update!

OzarkTom

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2018, 12:12 am »
I have had mine on for three years, they go to sleep every night. And I do not have to sing to them. :)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2018, 04:15 pm »
Sleep? They don't need to sleep. I guess that makes me a cruel taskmaster.  :icon_twisted:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2018, 05:58 pm »
I understand the skepticism, but the more I listen the more I am astonished at just how much richness of texture, tone and timber I am hearing with these little wonders. These amps are so clean and pure they let the music flow in an unrestricted manner unlike anything I've ever heard before. Rolling tubes is a pointless endeavor when veil has been taken away. 8)

debjit.g

« Reply #8 on: 14 Mar 2018, 07:08 pm »
@Wind Chaser

I am curious what other Class D amps have you compared with ?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2018, 07:26 pm »
Keep in mind the Maraschino (except Golden Cherry) also has auto-sleep, so power consumption automatically goes close to zero about 8 minutes after you stop playing your music....

By the way, we added more Maraschinos here today.  Take a look at the DEMO PAIR:
http://kck.st/2CH4sLB

Try and find a Class-D amp that's replacing tube amps anywhere near as much as the Maraschino....  The other guys aren't "juicy" like a Cherry (:

Thanks, Wind Chaser, for your update!
With less than 12 days left (link above in the quote), the demo Maraschinos are spoken for, but there are still "bare metal" Desktop Maraschinos (new) available with blue LEDs and solid aluminum bases.  Plus, you might be shocked at the KING upgrade in the reward.  Take a look!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2018, 08:53 pm »
I am curious what other Class D amps have you compared with?

Over the years I've heard a few Class D amps but no direct comparisons. As for tube amps, well I can say with all certainty I'm done with them. 

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2018, 03:46 am »
Wind Chaser,

Check this statement out regarding "break-in":
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=156344.0

Maybe previous tube amp listeners say just what I mentioned in there!

Any thoughts on that topic with respect to your experience with Maraschino?

Thanks as always.

-Tommy

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2018, 05:36 am »
Yes, but this is my sacred listening time.  :green:

So I'll get back to you later on that.

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
« Reply #13 on: 16 Mar 2018, 01:40 pm »
As far as "other Class D comparisons" I would love to hear anyone's experience as well.  I loved tubes for a while but then became a "nothing beats A, A/B" guy.  Class D rocks IMHO however... Anyone compared the Cherry vs PS Audio M700?  Any distinct performance differences?  I believe both are ICE... Thanks

https://www.psaudio.com/products/stellar-m700-power-amplifier/

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #14 on: 16 Mar 2018, 05:06 pm »
As far as "other Class D comparisons" I would love to hear anyone's experience as well.  I loved tubes for a while but then became a "nothing beats A, A/B" guy.  Class D rocks IMHO however... Anyone compared the Cherry vs PS Audio M700?  Any distinct performance differences?  I believe both are ICE... Thanks

https://www.psaudio.com/products/stellar-m700-power-amplifier/
Yikes!  Our amplifiers do NOT use pre-fab modules.  We are one of the few high-end amp manufacturers left that still designs all the circuitry.  Our circuits are made with patented and proprietary technology that we developed in-house through decades of R&D.  Others simply slap a marked up one-size-fits-all module in a fancy box, then they spend tons of cash on marketing.  Their customers pay for it.  So do the engineers that were previously working there.  That's another story for another day.

I'm not sure what they're using inside, but I compared the published specs of the PS Audio M700 to the Maraschino Cherry and new MEGAschino Cherry.  The Cherry Amps have lower distortion, wider frequency response, lower noise, and more accurate gain.  The Cherry MEGA has more output power, and the Maraschinos as well into lower impedance.  The M700 isn't continuously stable into 2 ohms, but they claim it's stable only "for musical transients".  What really struck me was the M700's 100dB SNR rating, about 20dB less than the Cherry Amps.  Both have about the same damping factor, but the Cherry Amps have wideband damping.  Most manufacturers rate theirs at only 100Hz, and it falls quickly with frequency.

We design Cherry amps for sonics rather than bench measurements, although our bench measurements are some of the best.  I can say without a doubt that the work we have done to achieve a superior non-Class-D sound has been more than worth it.  We are winning tube amp owners over, and over, all the time.  How is the PS Audio amp sonics-wise?  I can't say, since I haven't heard it yet, but Cherry seriously beats all the module based amps I've heard, and I'm definitely not alone in saying this.  Read here for more:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127654.0

Thanks for your post.

-Tommy O

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
« Reply #15 on: 16 Mar 2018, 05:18 pm »
Thank you for the above..... I have a few more questions but we can take off line..  Much appreciated.

debjit.g

« Reply #16 on: 16 Mar 2018, 05:31 pm »
Yikes!  Our amplifiers do NOT use pre-fab modules. 

Great but what is the issue using a pre-fab modules ? There are lot of manufacturers who uses them as the output stage as they have great specs and there is no point re-inventing the wheel.

Any reviews comparing it to the Mola Mola Kalugas or the Bel Canto Black Amps ?

Remember, PS Audio Stellar is lower class product in the line. They still have the higher end BHK 250/300 for a reason and everything is built to a price point.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #17 on: 16 Mar 2018, 06:47 pm »
With respect to break in and warm up time...

To be honest I don’t know what these amps sound like when they come out of sleep because I never give them a chance to sleep. Nor do I remember how they sounded about 3500 hours ago when I first plugged them in. All I know is whenever I find a moment to enjoy a track or two, I really enjoy that experience! And that’s how it’s been since day one when the Maraschino’s arrived.

I’m probably the only one who runs them 24/7, I do that because I want immediate access the best possible sound without delay at the drop of a hat so to speak. So my amps are always in a state where they are always ready to roll. That is important because there are many times when I’ve only got a few minutes to listen to one or two quick tunes before going to bed, rushing off to work or flying out the door etc.

Short spontaneous listening, it’s like scratching an itch. I do it because I can; it’s very satisfying and makes me happy.  :green:

« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2018, 08:58 pm by Wind Chaser »

StevenZ

« Reply #18 on: 10 Apr 2018, 10:01 pm »
I really should have bought one of these instead of the "other" class D amp that I just purchased.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #19 on: 11 Apr 2018, 02:08 am »
I really should have bought one of these instead of the "other" class D amp that I just purchased.
Some demos coming in at the end of the month.  Send me an email at Support@DigitalAmp.com and we'll see what we can do for you.   It's never too late....   Thanks (:

-Tommy O