Bryston BDA 1 tweaks / mods?

raytam

Bryston BDA 1 tweaks / mods?
« on: 26 Jan 2024, 08:24 pm »
I picked up a used BDA 1 for a good price - it's a definite improvement over my previous DAC, but given its age, I was wondering if Bryston offers any factory mods with upgraded parts.  I'd also be interested in hearing from owners of Bryston BDA's about any tweaks they're using to improve sound quality.

R. Daneel

Re: Bryston BDA 1 tweaks / mods?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2024, 12:04 pm »
I picked up a used BDA 1 for a good price - it's a definite improvement over my previous DAC, but given its age, I was wondering if Bryston offers any factory mods with upgraded parts.  I'd also be interested in hearing from owners of Bryston BDA's about any tweaks they're using to improve sound quality.

Hello!

I am by no means an expert in this area but I think it would be difficult to improve upon the BDA-1, or any Bryston D-A convertor for that matter. The reason being, all components in the output stage of the device (analogue circuit after the actual D-A chip) are SMT (surface-mount technology). This typically means the components are tiny and difficult to replace “by hand”. Not only that but the layout of the board is designed with SMT in mind – because that’s what will be used in production. As a consequence, typical “through-hole” components simply will not fit.

I am talking about potential improvements of the analogue stage because this is where most obvious improvements can be made.

I think the power supply of the BDA-1 is more than good and so is the digital engine based on the best chips available at the time.

I haven’t seen anyone upgrading a Bryston D-A convertor and it is likely for the reasons I’ve mentioned. However, I believe Bryston used the best kind of SMD (surface mount devices) like military-spec resistors, all laid onto glass-epoxy circuit-boards. All of this is high-quality stuff so their convertors both measure good and sound good.

If you like the sound of the BDA-1, my recommendation would be to opt for a DIY kit based on the same D-A chip, namely the Cirrus Logic CS4398. These kits are easier to manage and all kinds of options are available. I have one of these, even though I think the kit is no longer available (it was one of the earlier available), with a triode output stage based on an early Lampizator idea, using ridiculously priced Mundorf Silver/Oil capacitors. Whether that’s better or worse than the Bryston solution is up to you to decide. In my opinion, with such ‘extravagant’ modifications, some precision of the original recording is lost, at least compared to the BDA-2 which I own, but gains can be had in the sheer authenticity of some instruments. It isn’t without a price and it comes with a compromise. What I am trying to get across is that the BDA-1 might not be the best platform for a modification.

What are you using as a source?

Cheers – Antun

raytam

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2024, 03:26 pm »
Thank you Antun for your detailed, thoughtful and clear response - point taken.  I was hoping that Bryston might offer a factory upgrade, but it's probably not worth the cost / effort on their part.  My main source is streaming HD Amazon Prime Music through a Sonos Port and the Bryston DAC.  I'm quite happy with the sound quality through my system - Anthem AVM 70, Classe CA 301, Klipsch Heresy IV's, RSL Speedwoofer (looking to upgrade to pair of REL's), Cardas Golden Ref and Presence cables.

gene9p

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2024, 10:40 pm »
I have one since it's early days and have no plans of replacing it or upgrading it..it's that good  :D

PS: get a cd player, transport, etc...then you can really appreciate the BDA-1

R. Daneel

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2024, 12:13 pm »
Thank you Antun for your detailed, thoughtful and clear response - point taken.  I was hoping that Bryston might offer a factory upgrade, but it's probably not worth the cost / effort on their part.  My main source is streaming HD Amazon Prime Music through a Sonos Port and the Bryston DAC.  I'm quite happy with the sound quality through my system - Anthem AVM 70, Classe CA 301, Klipsch Heresy IV's, RSL Speedwoofer (looking to upgrade to pair of REL's), Cardas Golden Ref and Presence cables.

You are welcome!

How did you connect the Sonos to the BDA-1?

Cheers – Antun

raytam

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2024, 05:11 pm »
I'm using a Cardas Parsec 1.5 meter co-ax RCA cable and am quite satisfied with it.  I chose that cable because it's affordable, and I like the Cardas 'house sound' - I'm not sure that if I spent more for a digital cable (unlike RCA interconnects), there would an appreciable improvement in sound quality. But who's totally satisfied with their system?  I would appreciate more 'warmth' and 'richness'.  Any recommendations?

R. Daneel

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2024, 05:40 pm »
I'm using a Cardas Parsec 1.5 meter co-ax RCA cable and am quite satisfied with it.  I chose that cable because it's affordable, and I like the Cardas 'house sound' - I'm not sure that if I spent more for a digital cable (unlike RCA interconnects), there would an appreciable improvement in sound quality. But who's totally satisfied with their system?  I would appreciate more 'warmth' and 'richness'.  Any recommendations?

OK, a coax cable is fine. USB input is of an older generation and isn’t asynchronous.

If you’d like a ‘warmer’ sound, the cables are the last place where you ought to be looking. If your source is exclusively a digital one, you could use EQ without any loss of quality. For example, you could introduce a digital EQ between the Sonos and the BDA-1. You’d need an extra coax cable for that but unless you want to use a computer as the source, this might be the simplest solution.

If you are using a subwoofer, you might want to look into one of the Mini DSP products which would provide the necessary EQ, a coax input and a coax output to integrate your BDA-1 and depending on the model, you might also get a crossover to properly integrate a subwoofer.

That being said, because you’re using big Klipsch speakers (I like them a lot!), I assume you have a big listening room so some acoustic treatment might be the first thing to consider. It might also be the cheapest and the most beneficial to your system.

Cheers – Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2024, 05:41 pm »

OK, a coax cable is fine. USB input is of an older generation and isn’t asynchronous.

If you’d like a ‘warmer’ sound, the cables are the last place where you ought to be looking. If your source is exclusively a digital one, you could use EQ without any loss of quality. For example, you could introduce a digital EQ between the Sonos and the BDA-1. You’d need an extra coax cable for that but unless you want to use a computer as the source, this might be the simplest solution.

If you are using a subwoofer, you might want to look into one of the Mini DSP products which would provide the necessary EQ, a coax input and a coax output to integrate your BDA-1 and depending on the model, you might also get a crossover to properly integrate a subwoofer.

That being said, because you’re using big Klipsch speakers (I like them a lot!), I assume you have a big listening room so some acoustic treatment might be the first thing to consider. It might also be the cheapest and the most beneficial to your system.

Cheers – Antun

raytam

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2024, 06:20 pm »
Thank you for another detailed and thoughtful response Antun - you've given me a lot to think about - much appreciated.  I never even considered an EQ, but after doing a bit of research based on your suggestion, I think it might be the best route to take.  In my research, I came across the Douk Audio T8 Pro which looks promising - it uses tubes, is very affordable and has received positive reviews.  I owned a tube pre-amp in the past, enjoyed the sound and the tube rolling process (the hopeful, but mostly fruitless, quest for the 'perfect tube':?) so I might give the T8 a shot.  I assume it would work in this configuration - Sonos to Bryston to T8 to Anthem AVM 70 Prepro using RCA interconnects between the Bryston - T8  - Anthem.  Whaddya think?

R. Daneel

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2024, 09:59 am »
Thank you for another detailed and thoughtful response Antun - you've given me a lot to think about - much appreciated.  I never even considered an EQ, but after doing a bit of research based on your suggestion, I think it might be the best route to take.  In my research, I came across the Douk Audio T8 Pro which looks promising - it uses tubes, is very affordable and has received positive reviews.  I owned a tube pre-amp in the past, enjoyed the sound and the tube rolling process (the hopeful, but mostly fruitless, quest for the 'perfect tube':?) so I might give the T8 a shot.  I assume it would work in this configuration - Sonos to Bryston to T8 to Anthem AVM 70 Prepro using RCA interconnects between the Bryston - T8  - Anthem.  Whaddya think?

Hi!

Well, I don't think you'd want a tube EQ in your system. Well, maybe you would but it would affect the sound in many ways and it might undo what you have already accomplished with the components you have right now.

I was actually talking about a digital EQ, one you could insert between the Sonos and the BDA-1 as to keep the signal in the digital domain. This device would have a coax input and a coax output and would integrate easily. Also, if you opted for something like the MiniDSP, you'd be getting a parametric EQ rather than a graphic one (which is probably what the tube one that you found is) and this is a tremendous advantage since it allows for very minute adjustments to be made to address problems you might have with specific frequencies. The MiniDSP would also enable you to do your own measurements of your system. I believe the MiniDSP products are still reasonably priced so you might want to look into that.

By the way, I think there are far better places to discover things like these than Audio Circle. If you're interested in EQing your system, you might want to check other forums as well.

Cheers - Antun