6 New Queen SHM-SACDs

djmckaytx

• Legacy Whispers, Legacy Amps, Grover Cables
6 New Queen SHM-SACDs
« on: 28 Dec 2011, 08:36 pm »
For those of you who may not know, the first 6 Queen albums were released on SHM-SACD (in stereo only, non-hybrid) in Japan only on December 14th.

I just got mine in (3 on Christmas Eve and the other 3 the Monday following).  With lots of my family in town I have only been able to objectively listen to the original side 2 of Queen II so far, so it's too soon to tell for sure.  But so far and right now I'm GLAD I spent the (not unsubstantial) bucks.

BUT with that said - WOW.  There is a BIG, BIG difference between this SACD, the 2011 CD remasters, the original CDs, and my original vinyl.  On the quieter tracks (Nevermore) and quieter passages I can finally hear ALL of the voices and the piano clearly.  In the bombastic passages and tracks (Ogre Battle), the mix is still boomy and a bit muddy though it is somewhat improved over the 2011 CD remaster.

Regarding the mastering, the Queen II liner notes say:   "This  2011 version has been meticulously re-created using the finest modern analogue and digital technology from the original first-generation master mixes."  While I am impressed so far, the real test will come with the later 3 releases (Night At The Opera, Day At The Races, and News Of The World).  Hope this helps anyone considering these.

Mike Nomad

Re: 6 New Queen SHM-SACDs
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2011, 08:40 pm »
~
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2014, 09:21 pm by Mike Nomad »