I can’t believe I did this…

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
I can’t believe I did this…
« on: 15 Feb 2010, 12:42 am »
Have you ever done anything really silly with your audio system or overlooked something and were too embarrassed to admit it to anyone else? Why not come clean and share your amusing anecdotes with us through the wonderful anonymity of the world wide web. 

decal

Re: I can’t believe I did this…
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2010, 12:48 am »
You first Laundrew.What did you do?

SFOX

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2010, 01:24 am »
Many years ago my system consisted of Bryston 0.4B preamp and 3B power amp with A/D/S CD player and A/D/S bookshelf speakers

I had cleaned the components late at night and switched the system on the following morning - no sound ...  :o

Panicked - checked everything - called Bryston for advice - released 'Mute' switch ...

Steven  :duh:

Laundrew

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2010, 01:31 am »
I turned on the system yesterday and I noticed right away that something was horribly wrong - my left channel was completely dead. The first thing that I think is that somehow I have lost an amplifier or a speaker. I check my cables - all secure. I sadly sit down in front of my audio gear and try to figure out what happened.

From a sitting position, I stare dumbly at my audio gear -  the large, round, shiny, center knob of the BP 26 is perhaps a couple of feet from the end of my nose. My face is of intense concentration and I wonder why my Balance control is hard over to the right. Does the little light go on yet - nooo! I look at my left amplifier and am very happy to see the little “green” LED is on with all of its radiant glory. My mind drifts as I contemplate the awesome finish that this gear has…

:idea:

:o

Twist BP 26 center knob to the 90 degree position

:duh:

:oops:

When one does an extremely efficient job of cleaning their audio gear the night before, always check all of your control settings when completed.

I will save “When I set my dad’s stereo on fire storey” for another time - remember, you must leave the crowd wanting more.   

Be well... 

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2010, 02:43 am »

When one does an extremely efficient job of cleaning their audio gear the night before, always check all of your control settings when completed.

or learn to like dust a bit more :lol:

hdspeakerman

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2010, 02:54 am »
Many years ago I bought a Dbx 122 to use with my reel to reel tape recorder.  I hooked it up and recorded a record onto tape and when I played it back I did not get anything.  I tried this over and over for about 3 days then I boxed it up and sent it back.  In about a week it came back with no mention of any problem.  I went thru the whole ordeal again.  Same result.  I sent it back to the factory again.  About a week later I got it back with a note to call them when I got ready to play back what I had recorded so I did.  The technician asked if I had it hooked into the tape monitor circuit and I said yes.  At that moment I pushed the tape monitor button in and the play back was fine.  I thanked the technician and hung up as fast as I could.  Boy was I embarassed.\Howard  :duh:

Laundrew

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2010, 03:05 am »
Many years ago my system consisted of Bryston 0.4B preamp and 3B power amp with A/D/S CD player and A/D/S bookshelf speakers

I had cleaned the components late at night and switched the system on the following morning - no sound ...  :o

Panicked - checked everything - called Bryston for advice - released 'Mute' switch ...

Steven  :duh:

I feel your pain Steven :wink:

Be well...

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2010, 03:51 am »
I've done lots worse.  In my main system, I used to have Proceed amps with DC triggers.  The system is in my Grand Room which is very open (there's a picture in the Gallery of the entrance).  There's a stairway going upstairs on one side which has a couple of switches.  One is for the light at the top of the stairs and for quite a while I could not figure out what the other one was for.  It's really not in the room entrance but apparently they wired it as such to work one half of one of the outlets where I had my surround sound amp plugged into.  I had someone over and was showing them something upstairs and I must have turned the switch off.  When they left I would turn on the system and the DC trigger would work, illuminating the LED on the amp for a couple of seconds but the amp would not go on.  I think I spent about 4.5 hours ripping everything apart (including opening the amp up) trying to figure out what the problem was.  Needless to say, after that I disabled the switch.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2010, 03:58 am »
When I told my wife that someone started a thread about dumb things we've done with out audio systems, she said

"Great.  THAT thread will go on for years!"

God, I love this woman................. :thumb:

Stu Pitt

« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2010, 01:22 pm »
My idiot roommate in grad school hooked up his computer to my NAD 304's phono input.  He couldn't figure out why it sounded like crap.  So he decided to turn the volume all the way up on the integrated and the computer, and listen to it for a few minutes.  My phono stage never recovered.  Neither did his speakers.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2010, 02:02 pm »
I upgrade my house to 220Volts mains and next week instal a new FM Radio with bi-volt(120/220Volts) capacity,... Yes I did it, It power on the radio with 120Volts seting, after afews seconds of music I heard a POP, smoke and a strong smell :duh:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2010, 02:06 pm »
When I told my wife that someone started a thread about dumb things we've done with out audio systems, she said

"Great.  THAT thread will go on for years!"

God, I love this woman................. :thumb:
Also another thread will run for years is: What are you Listen Right Now, I do not see much sense in this topic.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #12 on: 15 Feb 2010, 05:48 pm »
Yeah, I done that before with the balance control.

werd

« Reply #13 on: 15 Feb 2010, 06:28 pm »
On my 4B i listened  to the  left channel at 1 volt and the right channel at 2 volts. I did this for about two days.... go figure. Couldnt figure out what the hell was wrong. It took me two days to start looking into it....

Thats what happens when you fiddle behind you gear after too much wine.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #14 on: 15 Feb 2010, 06:52 pm »
I once bought $ony...........

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #15 on: 15 Feb 2010, 08:35 pm »

good one :lol:

al.

Laundrew

« Reply #16 on: 15 Feb 2010, 11:05 pm »
I've done lots worse.  In my main system, I used to have Proceed amps with DC triggers.  The system is in my Grand Room which is very open (there's a picture in the Gallery of the entrance).  There's a stairway going upstairs on one side which has a couple of switches.  One is for the light at the top of the stairs and for quite a while I could not figure out what the other one was for.  It's really not in the room entrance but apparently they wired it as such to work one half of one of the outlets where I had my surround sound amp plugged into.  I had someone over and was showing them something upstairs and I must have turned the switch off.  When they left I would turn on the system and the DC trigger would work, illuminating the LED on the amp for a couple of seconds but the amp would not go on.  I think I spent about 4.5 hours ripping everything apart (including opening the amp up) trying to figure out what the problem was.  Needless to say, after that I disabled the switch.

This would of driven me insane :(

vegasdave

« Reply #17 on: 16 Feb 2010, 03:20 am »

Oh my...well, I did too. A long time ago.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #18 on: 16 Feb 2010, 03:39 am »
No matter what I've done or what I will do, I can at least say I've never bought nor never will buy from a company the starts with a "B" and ends with an "ose."

That in and of itself redeems me in my sick mind.  No offense to that that have made that mistake.  Millions have, and I think very few realize the mistake in it.

vegasdave

« Reply #19 on: 16 Feb 2010, 04:02 am »
No way. Them, never. I'd rather listen to a boom box!