USB 2 on BDA-1?

Thrasher

USB 2 on BDA-1?
« on: 3 Feb 2010, 12:31 am »
I just watched the Audio Advisor video demo of the BDA-1 by Craig Bell of Bryston (dated Oct. 2009).  As he shows the various inputs on the back panel, he calls the USB input "USB 2", and the graphic shows USB 2 as well.  Is this accurate?

Also, I'm thinking about a combo preamp/DAC/phono stage.  It seems that the BDA-1 is a superior DAC in sound quality and flexibility than the DAC in the BP26, while by all accounts the MM/MC phono stage in the BP26 is identical to the standalone BP1.5.  Therefore, choosing to put the MM/MC phono in the preamp makes more sense than putting in the DAC.  It does seem a waste though to have the BDA-1 not utilize the MPS-2--I assume there is some good electrical engineering reason that the DAC needs its own power supply.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: USB 2 on BDA-1?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2010, 12:47 am »
Hi Thasher,

Yes Craig was incorrect on that - it is USB 1.

Yes the DAC in the BDA-1 is a more up to date Crystal DAC and is capable of 192/24 resolution.

The reason we went with internal dual supplies in the BDA-1 is that when we were developing the CD Player we realized that we could get much better performance if we totally 'separated and optimized' the analog and digital power supplies. So a single power supply feed (MPS-2) was the wrong approach.

james

gdbalp

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2010, 12:18 am »
Hi James,

Just a question on using an USB audio port;

From the specifications for BDA-1, the USB audio is limited to 16bit at 32K-48K.  Is this a limitation of the USB format for audio transmission? :cry:  Is there something in the works to get it up to 24bit at 192K? 

Regards,
Luigi

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2010, 01:00 am »
Hi Luigi,

As far as I know USB-2 can support 96/24 with proprietary software.  Our plans are to wait for generic USB chips which can support 192/24.

The other option is our new digital player (BDP-1), which will integrate with our BDA-1, will have a USB interface that will do 192/24.

james

gdbalp

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2010, 02:22 am »
Hi Again,

The BDP-1 must be a new product offering from Bryston.  Is there any details and/or pictures of this new unit?

Luigi

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2010, 02:32 am »
Hi Again,

The BDP-1 must be a new product offering from Bryston.  Is there any details and/or pictures of this new unit?

Luigi

Not yet - be a couple of months.

james

gdbalp

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2010, 01:59 am »
Hi James,

I have a few additional questions:

1) The upcoming SP3 :thumb: will able to act like a BDA-1 for converting digital signals to analog?  Any limitations when you compare SP3 to BDA-1?

2) Any word if the BDA-1 or SP3 will be able to decode the music from an IPod from Apple?

3) The computer wave format is limited to 16 bits?  If this is the case, then during the conversion from a CD of 24 bits or HDCD to a computer wave format, information will be lost?

Luigi

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2010, 02:59 am »
Hi Luigi,

1. The SP3 is a surround processor so it will be optimized for surround formats whereas the BDA-1 is otimized for stereo pcm high resolution digital files.

2. Yes the BDA-1 can decode Apple aiff or m4a files

3. I did not think wave was limited to 16 bit - I have a number of wave files at 176/24?

james

gdbalp

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2010, 10:14 pm »
Hi James,

I'm bit confused by the standards on digital recordings from CD's, let me explain...

The Redbook standard for CD's is 16 bits, so is this limitation of CD recordings?  At the same time, you can buy re-mastered CD's at 24 bits, so can we hear the difference with a CD player capable of 24 bits or is it just a selling phrase?

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2010, 01:33 am »
Hi James,

I'm bit confused by the standards on digital recordings from CD's, let me explain...

The Redbook standard for CD's is 16 bits, so is this limitation of CD recordings?  At the same time, you can buy re-mastered CD's at 24 bits, so can we hear the difference with a CD player capable of 24 bits or is it just a selling phrase?

I believe what they are referring to is the remastering of the recording at 24 bits, not the CD pressing

gdbalp

« Reply #10 on: 17 Feb 2010, 03:07 am »
Hi,

You are correct, Redbook CD's are limited to 16 bits...

Luigi