Original B60 and 3B-NRB sound characteristics

veloceleste

Original B60 and 3B-NRB sound characteristics
« on: 30 Sep 2008, 08:56 pm »
Hi,
I have the opportunity to aquire a 3B-NRB to use in conjunction with my non SST B60.  Is anyone familiar with sonic differences between the amp section of the B60 and the 3B-NRB?  Thanks for any insight.

Hififreak

• www.brystonheritage.com
    • www.hififreaks.nl
Re: Original B60 and 3B-NRB sound characteristics
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2008, 08:52 pm »
In my opinion you will hear no difference.
I have a 3B NRB and 0.4-2B LP (=B60) in my collection.  8)
The 3B NRB has more power.  That's all.

mr_bill

« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2008, 10:14 pm »
I owned a 4B NRB and if the new SST amps don't sound better than the NRB amps, I'll fall off my chair.

veloceleste

« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2008, 12:12 am »
In my opinion you will hear no difference.
I have a 3B NRB and 0.4-2B LP (=B60) in my collection.  8)
The 3B NRB has more power.  That's all.
Thanks for the reply.  That is what I figured, I just wanted to get some confirmation before I buy the 3NRB.   

94cdnm3

« Reply #4 on: 9 Oct 2008, 09:50 pm »
Sorry but the B-60 is based on the BP-20 preamp and the 2B-LP not the BP 0.4 preamp.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2008, 11:09 pm »
I thought it was based on the BP6 and 2B LP.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2008, 05:39 am »
I believe the SST model is.

Hififreak

• www.hififreaks.nl
« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2008, 10:59 am »

B60

B60SST

The difference between the 60 and 60SST are the output devices and therefore the SST designation.

veloceleste

« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2008, 08:43 pm »
Hi,
I know the B60 is BP20 and 2b-lp.  I guess to more clearly state my question:  How sonically similar/different are a 2b-lp and a 3NRB?  I understand that doubling power only gives 3db more but that is not my concern. 

Hififreak

• www.hififreaks.nl
« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct 2008, 06:31 am »
Dear people,

Who can tell me which preamplifier of Bryston is equivalent to the preamplifier part of B60SST?

I gladly hear it.

Gr.,

Hififreak

The BP6

james

The BP20

rob80b

« Reply #10 on: 11 Oct 2008, 12:27 pm »
Hi,
I know the B60 is BP20 and 2b-lp.  I guess to more clearly state my question:  How sonically similar/different are a 2b-lp and a 3NRB?  I understand that doubling power only gives 3db more but that is not my concern. 

Hi veloceleste

Up until the SST output stage implementation on the larger Brystons, the 2BLP was always regarded as the sweet spot in the lineup, which was why many used it to power the top end when bi-amping. When I upgraded my 2BLP to the 3B NRB in 92, I noted that the 3B was not as refined in the top end but had better control of the lower frequencies, but I should mention that the balanced inputs on the NRB were closer to the ST's input stage which helped reduce distortion in the upper frequencies.
Now is the B60 similar to the 2BLP; I’m just starting to get into HT and in August I picked up an older 2BLP PRO (with volume pots) to directly power some surrounds, of course out of curiosity I compared it to my 4BSST, the 4B’s top end, sound stage and width and lower end were obviously superior over the older 2BLP.
Just this past week I replaced the 2BLP with a B60R and did another comparison, the B60R was more in line with the 4BSST’s sound signature, everything was just presented in a smaller scale and warmer but the overall listening experience top to bottom was superior over the 2BLP.
The preamp stage is most likely closer to the older .5/B5, the BP20 having a better external power supply and layout would be better than the integrated B60 although pretty close as the preamp and amp sections have been optimized to work together.
The thing to remember is that Bryston’s improvements are centered on  classical amplification where the layout and components have been refined over the years to reduce the over all noise level and increase the signal purity.
Having started with the 2BLP in the 80’s, the a 3BNRB, 3BST and now the 4BSST and also a .5 to a BP25P the improvements in amplification have always been appreciated.

rob80b

« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2008, 03:39 pm »
Please note that the my comparisons above were with a 20 year old 2BLP and that more recent units probably have an even better sound signature.
If I ever get the time I'll compare the BP25P and the pre-amp section of the B60R to power the 4BSST.

Robert

veloceleste

« Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2008, 11:54 pm »
Hi,
Thanks for the comparison notes.  I want to use the 3NRB to power the mains in a HT that I also use sometimes for listening to 2 channel music.  I ran the B60 amp section from the HT (Pioneer Elite) receiver's preamp out and the Bryston was much better, which I knew it would be.  I want to make sure the 3NRB isn't too much different than the B60's amp section. 
I also own an older 2b-lp pro with a somewhat unique configuration that I like because of the way it works with my 2channel set-up:  rca inputs instead of balanced and a power switch in place of the headphone jack.  I use that amp with an AES tube preamp and Klipsch Chorus II speakers.  The reason I like the 2b-lp pro is that the level controls let me turn down the input sensitivity below the noise threshold.  I have an unbelievable amount of noise coming through my AC and I've tried everything I can think of short of running a dedicated AC line or an isolation transformer.  Power conditioners, grounding schemes, nothing has worked for me.  Everything in my house with a transformer or motor hums or buzzes.  I've had the electric company check my grounds and wiring and they say everything is ok.  It is annoying as hell when trying to listen to music and the 2b-lp pro with the level controls is the only solution that works.  The B60 alone is dead quiet too but I like the tubes in front of the Klipsch.  If I use the AES preamp to drive the B60 amp section I still get the noise.