SACD players

Stefan_DR3

Re: SACD players
« Reply #20 on: 8 May 2012, 02:54 am »
The 770 will only do 16/176.4.  I have the BDP-BX37 which is the same as the 370.  I could not get it to work without a handshake and I wasn't terribly impressed by the way it sounded.  I bought an Integra DPS-6.9 (DVD universal) on close-out just under a year ago for $300 and it does 16/176.4, needs no handshake and sounds worlds better than the Sony. 

Wow, the 370 must be horrid then because I thought the 770 was pretty good for me over HDMI (much better than old Pioneer Elite using m-ch analog to analog pre).  I have moved it out of the HT and replaced with said Oppo-83 and although it does 24/88.2 can't say I heard a big difference.

You make a good point about getting a DAC though, as I could use it for several sources (still have a bunch of those 24/96 DADs and just bought more on clearance from acousticsounds).

Cheers  8)

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #21 on: 8 May 2012, 03:02 am »
If I were to get a digital product, it would either be a DAC or a player (like the BDP-1).

Typo "BDP-1"?

Phil A

« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2012, 02:12 am »

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #23 on: 15 May 2012, 08:48 am »
As the resident vinyl nut around here, I like SACD, it sounds pretty close to vinyl. I hope Bryston comes out with an SACD player!

Phil A

« Reply #24 on: 15 May 2012, 12:04 pm »
As the resident vinyl nut around here, I like SACD, it sounds pretty close to vinyl. I hope Bryston comes out with an SACD player!

You'd be surprised how good it (SACD) sounds going through the de-embedder into the BDA-1 at 24/88.2kHz.  My friend who also has a BDA-1 was going to get a $3k SACD player and scrapped those plans.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #25 on: 15 May 2012, 02:52 pm »
Ok, cool. Thanks for the tip.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #26 on: 20 May 2012, 06:19 am »
Hi Bill,

I've been eyeing those beasts  :o

Thanks

Another Esoteric owner here, Stefan. My system is graced by a K-03. It's been said that the K-03 is God's own SACD player but I can't go along with that - I'm pretty sure God has a K-01... :wink: :green:

FWIW the terrific X-05 that Dyna95 and Laundrew are fortunate enough to own is about to be replaced by a new K-05 and I understand that there will also be a K-07 introduced in the not-to-distant future.

D.D.

Marius

« Reply #27 on: 20 May 2012, 10:27 am »
Hi Phil,

Would you happen to know this one too? http://www.cypeurope.com/Audience/AU-11CD-v1.3-HDMI-Audio-De-Embedder-5.1-with-built-in-repeater.html

Would be interested in how this deembedder compares in specification and quality of build and sound to yours.

Thanks,
Marius

You'd be surprised how good it (SACD) sounds going through the de-embedder into the BDA-1 at 24/88.2kHz.  My friend who also has a BDA-1 was going to get a $3k SACD player and scrapped those plans.

Phil A

« Reply #28 on: 20 May 2012, 01:12 pm »
Hi Phil,

Would you happen to know this one too? http://www.cypeurope.com/Audience/AU-11CD-v1.3-HDMI-Audio-De-Embedder-5.1-with-built-in-repeater.html

Would be interested in how this deembedder compares in specification and quality of build and sound to yours.

Thanks,
Marius

Marius - never heard of that one.  I'd be a bit wary as it says "Supports Optical Sample Rate up to 48 kHz."  Most people here seem to be using the Port-ta/Monoprice or Atlona de-embedder.  If I get time today (schedule has been busy), I may see if I can get my Oppo BDP-93 working with the basement system Emotiva DAC.  I tried briefly but could not get the BDP-93 to work in the main system (so I use the modded BDP-83 and swap HDMI cables if I want to watch a movie).

I know there are other models.  I though I saw one by Kramer and one by Extron.  I know the Port-ta/Monoprice passes 192kHz from using it with the Bryston DAC.  The Port-ta/Monoprice is not of great build quality.  When I first got the Port-ta unit I did exchange E-Mails with them.  It was obvious though they did not quite understand what I was trying to ask and from the nature of the responses, I'd guess they were doing some type of internet translation software too (they are based in Hong Kong).  I do, however use an upgraded power supply with it.  Anything that will work with the Squeezebox Touch will work (have one of those).

I actually have 3 power (4 actually) supplies.  I have the Channel Islands on the de-embedder in the main system and right now I have the Bolder Cables modded Jerome power supply (The Jerome Industries RYD313F-001 can be found surplus at Herbach and Rademan as indicated on the Bolder website).  When I get to it (I hope today), I am going to move the Welbourne to the secondary basement system de-embedder and see if I can get the de-embedder working with the  BDP-93 (I have an old Oppo DV980H down there now to use with the de-embedder).  I had to buy two Jerome power supplies (I think it was a whole $28 with shipping for both) and I changed the connector to the appropriate one and I'm going to give it to a friend who has done me favors so he can use it with his de-embedder.

Phil A

« Reply #29 on: 20 May 2012, 01:18 pm »
I don't anything about it, but the Extron unit from the looks appears to extremely well built - http://www.extron.com/company/article.aspx?id=hae100pr