Acoustic surface plasmons proved!

1000a

Acoustic surface plasmons proved!
« on: 21 Jul 2007, 10:36 am »
http://huehueteotl.wordpress.com/2007/07/06/659/

maybe different wire is indeed different sounding (a fact?) after all.
chime in experts :thumb:

Big Red Machine

Re: Acoustic surface plasmons proved!
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2007, 12:32 pm »
Cool, maybe we aren't "weird" audiophools after all! :green:

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2007, 01:27 pm »
Gentlemen,

Very interesting...I thought so. :wink: In light of this discovery, you may find my comments below of some interest.

What is both totally surprising to me and as far as I'm concerned, a "feather in my cap," is that what I predicted below falls EXACTLY in line with Hawksford's paper/theory.  Unbeknownst to me, I had "theorized" virtually everything that Hawksford is discussing all before I ever became aware of his paper.  I just discovered this paper on the web 2 days ago and I am still in awe.  He even goes on to "predict" vortices or "whirlpools" of current forming in the conductor.

I take it a step further and say that, due to the "curl" of electrons traveling through the magnetic field within the cables (commonly known to take place in free space), that these currents form spiral paths back and forth down the length of a conductor.  These spiral paths look like sine waves when viewed orthogonally and constitute the "standing waves" or resonances that I have discussed/predicted.  These resonances decay in magnitude and time exponentially, just like the reverberation in a room decays after you slap your hands  Hawksford goes on to even use this same analogy! 

The above comments were based on the assumption of round conductors.  Flat conductors (ribbons) would be expected to exhibit effects more like those of the article/link posted at the beginning of this thread.  Further discussion can be found at the thread below.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=40562.0

-Bob

jneutron

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2007, 07:24 pm »
Cool, maybe we aren't "weird" audiophools after all! :green:

No, that would be incorrect.

We certainly are weird, and we are audiophools..

Cheers, John

jneutron

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2007, 07:26 pm »
http://huehueteotl.wordpress.com/2007/07/06/659/

maybe different wire is indeed different sounding (a fact?) after all.
chime in experts :thumb:

If you examine the article closely, note that they are talking about effects which are in the femptosecond regime, and nanometer regime.

For both cases, you are talking about effects which occur and die out at atomic lattice distances.

Cheers, John

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2007, 07:41 pm »
Just to play cynic - arent the movements of electrons in the wire that we're dealing with here also acting in those same time and space domains?

Bryan
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2007, 07:52 pm by bpape »

mcullinan

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jul 2007, 07:51 pm »
Im not smart, but I pretend to be... is Michael J Fox involved in this? Isnt his movie Back to the Future good? And are nodes somehow relevant and maybe even a buzzword when talking about acoustics?
Mike

jneutron

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jul 2007, 08:10 pm »
Just to play cynic - arent the movements of electrons in the wire that we're dealing with here also acting in those same time and space domains?

Bryan

Electrons move at mm per second speeds from one end of the conductor to the other.  They typically traverse 10 to 100 atomic lattice spaces prior to a collision which releases it's momentum energy. And, there are LOTS of them.

If you examine the article, they are saying that the plasmon lives for femptoseconds.  At the speed of light, that is a millionth of a foot..  The effective distance the plasmon is detected at is nanometers, again, atomic distances.

A signal travelling along a wire pair exerts it's influence at the centimeter scale, 7 orders of magnitude farther reaching than a plasmon.

Why worry about a "possible" effect 7 orders of magnitude below ones that are not even understood in the audio world to begin with?  How many times are we going to hear, for example,  about skin effect "smearing", when the analysis upon which that assumption was made was so incorrect??

It is not justified to just grab some concepts from a scientific paper and say they apply to "wires sounding different".  Out of context scientific explanations do not provide a service to the audiophile community, rather they divert from advancement.

Cheers, John

1000a

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2007, 06:07 pm »
It is not justified to just grab some concepts from a scientific paper and say they apply to "wires sounding different".  Out of context scientific explanations do not provide a service to the audiophile community, rather they divert from advancement.

Cheers, John

I hope it was an interesting read none the less :D

PhilNYC

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2007, 06:29 pm »
Im not smart, but I pretend to be... is Michael J Fox involved in this? Isnt his movie Back to the Future good? And are nodes somehow relevant and maybe even a buzzword when talking about acoustics?
Mike

I have been looking for a Flux Capacitor on Audiogon, but have had no luck...