Another newb looking for streamer recommendations

ebluemn

Another newb looking for streamer recommendations
« on: 18 May 2022, 05:32 pm »
Hi all. I'm in the process of building a hifi system, and for the time being will be primarily relying on streaming services for a source (Tidal, primarily). I don't currently use anything like Roon, and I don't have an extensive library of high-quality audio files or CDs.  My old system had been a logitech bluetooth input hooked up to an onkyo mini hifi system streaming Spotify.

My new build (and hopefully my endgame) consists of Spatial X4s, audiophonics HPA-S400ET power amp, with a holoaudio serenity preamp and may DAC.

From perusing the reviews on existing streamers it seems like the key is to find one with a good app interface as well as good sound quality. I don't think I necessarily need a digital screen on the streamer since I'll be using my phone or computer to control it most of the time, and I won't need a DAC necessarily since I'll be running through the May. 

For a budget I'd like to keep it <$1500, but there's a little flexibility.

The units that keep popping up and seem to check all the boxes so far are the bluesound node gen 3 or maybe the cambridge audio CXN. The innuos zen mini MKE seems like another reasonable option and would allow for ripping my small CD collection in addition to what looks like good streaming services. Alternatively, it looks like innuos is coming out with just a dedicated streamer later this summer (pulse mini).

Has anyone here had good/bad experiences with any of these products? Any other stellar product within my budget that you'd highly recommend?

Thanks in advance

mcgsxr

Re: Another newb looking for streamer recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2022, 05:49 pm »
IF you're looking for a good streamer (vs a streamer/DAC) there are options in your price point for sure.

You've found Bluenode and Cambridge options.  There are also options from Nuprime, iFi, Audiolab and then there is a whole world of DIY with Raspberry Pi's. 

I use a Raspi4 usb out to my Pre/DAC.  Not everyone wants to build their own, but the ~$200 price point and good sound (to me) made it work for me.  I have enjoyed PiCore and Volumio free s/w for the Pi to "make it think it is a streamer".

Nick B

« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2022, 01:57 am »
The iFi Zen Stream sounds excellent and is a great value at $399. I do use a dedicated lps with it. I don’t use the iFi app as I use Roon. I know some guys who really like the Node and it’s OS. There are options to upgrade the Node power supply through third-party kits.

nocrapman

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2022, 05:04 pm »
My experience with node has been mixed. Excellent OS and app. But issues with hum/noise for one of my 2 units.
I just got a Matrix mini I 3 pro. Seems like a solid product. See my thread above.
Good luck

genjamon

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2022, 06:18 pm »
There are also the Sonore products, and the OpticalRendu is technically within budget, though that doesn't appear to include the cost of power supply.  And you'll want a good one of those.  But, as a longtime owner of an UltraRendu, I suspect OpticalRendu would be quite a lot higher sound quality than the Cambridge CXN.  Frankly, given the calibre of the rest of your system, $1500 seems a bit skimpy, and would probably make the streamer the weak link in your system.  But maybe not if you had an OpticalRendu with a quality power supply (probably another $600-700 there, though - Audiophilestyle guys seem like they really like PS's from Farad, Paul Hynes, Uptone Audio, and others).

genjamon

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2022, 06:29 pm »
My experience with node has been mixed. Excellent OS and app. But issues with hum/noise for one of my 2 units.
I just got a Matrix mini I 3 pro. Seems like a solid product. See my thread above.
Good luck

Does this have any digital outputs?  Seems like they're all just inputs, so you're forced to use the internal DAC.

nocrapman

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2022, 06:41 pm »
It does not. I would look at their other models if just looking to stream.
For me it was a decision based on simplifying a LR setup and consolidating one of my systems. I will not sacrifice quality for simplification in any area of my life but since I didn't feel a step down in any way, I am very content.

genjamon

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2022, 06:46 pm »
Sure, but note that the OP has a Holo Audio May DAC that he will no doubt want to use.

nocrapman

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jun 2022, 06:55 pm »
Didnt notice it before - The Holo would be the way to go of course.
I would advise against feeding it with the Bluesound node esp if using USB out. I tested this in 2 other systems with other dacs - same noise issue.
I have a 2i running in the basement utilizing its internal dac and stereo out; its running a workshop system and outdoor speakers. no issues but I wouldnt be able to tell the difference anyway. I had issues with network drop offs  but this was fixed with running it hardwired into the router.