What's up with this bird hanging around my place?

Folsom

What's up with this bird hanging around my place?
« on: 22 Jul 2018, 02:19 am »

I keep seeing it. It sits for long times on chairs front and back. It also was on the porch. It isn't scared of humans, or it just won't move. You can't seem to interest it in water. Is it a baby? I don't know.
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2018, 12:18 am by Folsom »

avta

Re: What's up with this bird hanging around my place?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2018, 03:32 am »
? nesting

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2018, 04:01 am »
A parent just came and fed it. It has been around for weeks and haven't seen that... I thought I might have a dead bird before long.

I hate birds around my place, too much bird poop living up on the flat.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2018, 04:06 am »
He want food, and surely is lost.
Give water and seeds and you go to heaven :thumb:

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2018, 01:19 pm »
You should love birds. Without them, there would be tons of insects and mosquitos around.

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2018, 05:12 am »
Spiders are good too. And owls. Owls eat possums

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2018, 05:16 am »
Give water and seeds and you go to heaven :thumb:

It might be carnivorous. A couple of times a year we have two or three baby butcher birds nearby crying for food. Keeps the mother very busy feeding them constantly. It (the mother) flies off and comes back with a bug or something, which it mangles up in its beak in front of the howling chicks and then drops into one of them. It shuts up for about a second then starts again.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2018, 05:25 am »
So it would be better to give them stew meat, rather cheap Folson and will not bother to buy this meat to help this needy little animal.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2018, 05:40 am »
If it's being fed just leave it alone, it will leave as soon as it is able to get around better.

I don't know what type of bird it is, if you want to know I could ask my Daughter, she would know. Where do you live?

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2018, 05:58 am »
So it would be better to give them stew meat, rather cheap Folson and will not bother to buy this meat to help this needy little animal.
Nope. There are things that you should and should not feed birds, depending upon age and type of bird. As already noted, if it's being fed by its parents - leave it alone. They will eventually go away.

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2018, 07:22 am »
It has parents feeding it, that I found out about.

No mosquitoes where I am. Too many frogs and waaaaaay too much wind for them to be around.

If I had a hawk or owl around, that would be awesome. I can forgive a little poo from them.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jul 2018, 07:31 pm »
Nope. There are things that you should and should not feed birds, depending upon age and type of bird. As already noted, if it's being fed by its parents - leave it alone. They will eventually go away.
How it is! He will go away hungry, he smell food in the Folsom home.
Not a easy life fly with empty tent it may lead to illness and death.

charmerci

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jul 2018, 07:54 pm »
How it is! He will go away hungry, he smell food in the Folsom home.
Not a easy life fly with empty tent it may lead to illness and death.
It does not smell or care for human food.
Birds have small stomachs and specific diets. You can't feed a baby bird, bird seed or milk for example. That will kill it.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 23 Jul 2018, 08:36 pm »
What do they eat then?

WGH

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jul 2018, 08:43 pm »
I was taking out the garbage on a dark night last week when a silent black shadow blacker than the night glided above me, I pulled out my Fenix light and illuminated one of our neighborhood's great horned owls on top of the telephone pole.
I always hear them hooting but they are rarely seen.

The desert southwest has a huge hawk population. Took this photo from my back door.

Interested in birds?

Visit Tucson from mid-October - mid-April, the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum has Raptor Free Flight twice a day with different hawks and owls.
Experience a wild raptor flying inches above your head. They are not trained and sometimes fly off.

Folsom

« Reply #15 on: 23 Jul 2018, 09:35 pm »
I probably would stop by for that if I were anywhere remotely close.

WGH

« Reply #16 on: 23 Jul 2018, 10:42 pm »
I probably would stop by for that if I were anywhere remotely close.

When it's the middle of February you can't even see the end of winter it's spring in Tucson.
Madera Canyon has the elegant trogon if you are lucky and a persistent birder.

And the MIM is 1-1/2 hours North in Phoenix, ranked one of the top 20 museums in the US
Musical Instrument Museum

A huge museum with almost every musical instrument in the world from a stick with a string to complex instruments that would take a lifetime to learn to play.
The free headsets lets you listen to all the instruments being played while watching the performer on a screen.

charmerci

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jul 2018, 06:37 pm »
What do they eat then?
The point is that it varies depending on the bird. Most towns in the US have a local animal rescue that can give you more information to rescue them.
https://www.thespruce.com/what-to-feed-a-baby-bird-386555