RMAF 2019

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: RMAF 2019
« Reply #40 on: 9 Sep 2019, 04:08 pm »
I talked to some of the volunteers at the show and attendance was WAY up over past years.  So much so, that they ran out of booklets and handouts for people attending the show.  I don't think that's ever happened before, in the history of RMAF.

For myself, as a show attendee, the fact that everything was spread out was great because you didn't have vendors bleeding sound into each others' rooms nearly as much. 

And the "big rig" rooms finally had enough space to breath and really do their thing.

It was that Alsyvox room that ruined it for me! I played the same tracks on my Maggie's at home and although the Maggie's souded great, the Alsyvox planar's blew them away! They're also $87,000 speakers!!!

The Alsyvox planar speakers were also dead sexy works of art.  The fit and finish on those speakers was just incredible.  Those are speakers that you would never, ever want to shove up against a wall, because they are so damn beautiful.

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #41 on: 9 Sep 2019, 04:40 pm »
agreed, attended a convention last year at the Gaylord in Nashville, what dump for what you paid, not to mention lousy food.

As for Denver and RMAF , $29 to park, come on it's not Manhattan !

Actually for those registered for RMAF parking was $18/day.  The new venue for RMAF is a significant upgrade.  Rooms sounded much better.  They were more spread out so there was much less sound bleed.  Much more variety in room types.  At least inside the hotel there are more food options and the food was very good.  A little expensive but reasonable for a resort.  Breakfast was excellent but will cost you anywhere from 14 to 30 bucks depending on what you get.  At least it was good food and good coffee.  It was lots of fun.  Time flew by so fast.

30 Ounce

« Reply #42 on: 9 Sep 2019, 05:05 pm »
What do you have at home?

I got confirmation that I need to work on things. LOL  :D

It was that Alsyvox room that ruined it for me! I played the same tracks on my Maggie's at home and although the Maggie's souded great, the Alsyvox planar's blew them away! They're also $87,000 speakers!!!

Nothing outrageous but it is very well setup.  Nothing at the show had imaging and balance like I have at home.  Setup is B&W Signature 805’s connected to Bob Latino M125 monoblocks with a bi run of XLO Reference 5. Then a Don Sachs (recently replaced my Audio Research) fully upgraded preamp is connected with Kimber Hereo and the source is Matrix Audio X SABRE PRO MQA streaming Tidal and Quboz.  Also have a Toshiba SD9200 DVD Audio player.  The second output of the preamp goes to a Behringer parametric EQ then to a Velodyne HGS 15 sub.  Everything is plugged into Monster Power HTPS 7000 which is plugged into Monster Power AVS 2000 voltage stabilizer which is plugged into a dedicated 20 circuit.  All setup with REW and calibrated Behringer measuring mic.  I’m moving soon and am going yo miss this room because it was built for the stereo.

The Alsyvox’s were pretty awesome!  I also have Martin Logan CLS II that I need to have freshened up...my daughter decided to help clean one day and electrostats and windex don’t go together...

AvsFan

« Reply #43 on: 9 Sep 2019, 10:38 pm »
I talked to some of the volunteers at the show and attendance was WAY up over past years.  So much so, that they ran out of booklets and handouts for people attending the show.  I don't think that's ever happened before, in the history of RMAF.

For myself, as a show attendee, the fact that everything was spread out was great because you didn't have vendors bleeding sound into each others' rooms nearly as much. 

And the "big rig" rooms finally had enough space to breath and really do their thing.

The Alsyvox planar speakers were also dead sexy works of art.  The fit and finish on those speakers was just incredible.  Those are speakers that you would never, ever want to shove up against a wall, because they are so damn beautiful.

Simply incredible on all levels. If I were wealthy, these would be the speakers I would own. LOVED them!

seadogs1

« Reply #44 on: 11 Sep 2019, 01:15 pm »
to all those that attended the 2019 RMAF, did anyone get to hear the PS Audio AN3 loudspeakers or the Kii 3 loudspeakers? If you did what are your opinions? Any suggestions for better choices for either the passive AN3 or the active Kii? Thanks!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #45 on: 11 Sep 2019, 05:10 pm »
to all those that attended the 2019 RMAF, did anyone get to hear the PS Audio AN3 loudspeakers or the Kii 3 loudspeakers? If you did what are your opinions? Any suggestions for better choices for either the passive AN3 or the active Kii? Thanks!

I heard the Kii 3.  With their bass towers, they definitely sounded better than the Kii room last year.  Good but not great sound.  Good bass and dynamics, but not as open or musical in the mids/highs as I'd want, especially if I was dropping $14k on them. 

Here's a funny observation.  I go into every room and I never know the price of anything when I walk in.  So I get a sense for the sound of the room without the bias that cost can bring into the equation.  For the Kii room, I thought they were actually a lot cheaper than $14k.  In fact I assumed they probably cost around $2500-$3500, and I was like, "meh, not bad for $3k".  Now that I see they are $14k, hell no.  IMO and all that of course!

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #46 on: 11 Sep 2019, 10:35 pm »

Yes my Dad and I did hear the PS Audio AN3 speakers.  They sounded good at first but did not wow me.  No sonic nasties to be heard on the vinyl demos.  No apparent fatigue.  However as the listening continued I found it difficult to pull away from the session.  Turns out that I really enjoyed that system including the speakers.  The AN3 looks very attractive in person.

mtrot

« Reply #47 on: 29 Sep 2019, 04:18 am »
I'll be there!  I told myself I would only attend RMAF or AXPONA, but not both this year.  RMAF prevailed because I can scoot over to Estes Park for a few days in conjunction with RMAF, like I did last year when I met my two sons there.  I do like that there is more than one restaurant in the hotel, unlike the Tech Center, which only had that one very marginal restaurant.  And I have no desire to get into the city of Denver anyway, so the new location is fine by me.

So, I was there all three days, glad I went.  Wow, what a fantastic venue.  It was just so spacious and nicely laid out that there was no feeling of being crowded.  I really liked the Marketplace, which allowed one to get a decent bite to eat without spending big dollars in one of the three or four restaurants. 

Of the reasonably affordable rooms, I really liked the Revel and Salk setups.  The PS Audio speakers seemed to be rather polarizing, with some really liking them and believing they have great potential, while others hated them. 

DSC_0076 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_0089 by MDTshots, on Flickr
DSC_0062 by MDTshots, on Flickr

dB Cooper

« Reply #48 on: 29 Sep 2019, 09:14 am »
Which is which?

(I can tell the middle pic is Salk from the signage.)

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #49 on: 29 Sep 2019, 02:56 pm »
Revel is on the bottom.

I missed PSA but not a big fan of the mids/tweets used so probably a good thing!