Ideas for My Son's First Audio System Wanted

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Ideas for My Son's First Audio System Wanted
« on: 18 Oct 2019, 08:06 pm »
My 27-yr-old son will likely have his own place to live by Christmas, and I'd like to get him started with a modest two-channel system. I figure it'll be either powered speakers that he'll plug into his phone or laptop, or a pair of passive speakers powered by something like a Nuprime IDA-8. [My son is not an audiophile, and probably agrees with my wife that I ought to have my head examined.]

I think I would spend up to approximately $2000 USD to get him either option. Used gear is definitely an option. Oh, he likes BASS

Thoughts? Recommendations? [Warnings about rabbit holes not necessary.]

Michael

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Re: Ideas for My Son's First Audio System Wanted
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2019, 08:11 pm »
Keep it simple. Integrated amp w/options. Budget DACs and the like.

veloceleste

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2019, 08:14 pm »
Good luck! When my kids were in high school they each had a very nice vintage system that they pretty much could care less about. While they do appreciate good sound they aren't at all interested in audio gear or even home theater. It's headphones and their computer or phones. That being said,  a receiver with streaming capability and an inconspicuous pair of speakers should do the trick. The Outlaw receiver may work. If he likes bass, add a woofer. Have fun!

iluzun

« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2019, 08:15 pm »
I hope to get my daughter a pr. of these 4 Xmas...

https://www.tonepublications.com/review/the-tuk-speakers-from-kanto-audio/

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2019, 08:32 pm »
Sonos Play:5 + cellphone + Spotify

Yomaha

« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2019, 09:44 pm »
Keep it simple. Integrated amp w/options. Budget DACs and the like.

Any specific integrateds?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2019, 10:05 pm »
Any specific integrateds?

What I would buy, others would not. The speakers is the big difference. Some are bright, but some like it bright. Gotta listen to some stuff. Used is the way to go on some devices.

You can nake a music server with a micro PC and music server software. Budget turntable. CD/DVD player as a transport.

I like Marantz Reference, so I would go with regular Marantz any day. This is about budget and not high end so that would make me satisfied.

borism

« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2019, 10:09 pm »
When my son went off to college I bought him a Dayens Ampino integrated. Now there is also the Vista Spark with great reviews and at almost half the price of the Ampino.
For speakers we build a great pair from DIY Soundgroup and later added a DIY subwoofer from Partsexpress. The DAC was an inexpensive offering from Shiit Audio.
Overall a great system and below $2000. However, it did involve some DIY activity (which we enjoyed).

JackD

« Reply #8 on: 18 Oct 2019, 10:44 pm »
Vanatoo Transparent One Encore, Node 2CI and a small sealed powered sub.  The Vanatoo's are powered, have a built in DAC and a sub out. Gives him the option of the dac in the Node or the one in the Vanatoo's. 

https://vanatoo.com/shop/speakers/transparent-one-encore/

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #9 on: 18 Oct 2019, 11:03 pm »
Thanks, gang.  :thumb:

From a purely practical standpoint, I probably ought to look no further than Kanto, Vanatoo, or Sonos. The audiophool in me yearns to express itself with a used integrated like BRM's IDA-8 and a pair of Fritz Loudspeakers Carbon 7s. DIY isn't appropriate because of my current time limitations.

I'll see what other suggestions come up, and ponder this for a spell. I have even considered giving him my own IDA-8 and my Jeff Bagby designed Adelphos two-ways (which I love!). Then, I'd buy a pair of Fritz Carrera Be speakers or similar. Hmm.....

Brettio

« Reply #10 on: 18 Oct 2019, 11:22 pm »
I sure enjoy my Klipsch Gate, pair it up with a integrated and the best speakers you can buy to stay under $2,000 and he’ll have a nice system (easy to do if buying used). Ironically that’s my system, both the integrated and speakers came from odyssey (mine was over the the 2k limit however).  He can use his phone/iPad to control the music selection, it won’t take up much space, it’ll sound great, he won’t need to buy music, and I bet he’ll love it!

Just a thought.

Saturn94

« Reply #11 on: 19 Oct 2019, 01:12 am »
For speakers, these would be killer!  True full range sound (real extension into the low 30s) in a stand mount design.  I have a pair of these and love them.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=165912.0

The woofer is powered and the coax mid/tweeter is passive.  A steal at the asking price.

dB Cooper

« Reply #12 on: 19 Oct 2019, 01:32 am »
Hope his love of BASS doesn't cause any problems with the neighbors... Might wanna factor in some good budget cans.

Decent vintage or 'nused' integrated or receiver (NAD, Onkyo etc) (might be able to skip FM b/c he probably streams everything anyway.) Hell, a Pi would do the job with most streaming services other than Apple.

Be interesting to see where you go with this.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 19 Oct 2019, 01:58 am »
He may want to consider a planar headphones as a space-saving option that uses a small amp and dont bother neighbors and offer more harmonics and micro detail than a regular loudspeaker with xover.

I could suggest a used HifiMan Edition X to big soundstage or Audeze LC2Classic if he likes small soundstage, for a upstairs HP he may look the Arya at $1599 retail.
https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/arya.html

dB Cooper

« Reply #14 on: 19 Oct 2019, 02:18 am »
Drop (Massdrop) is currently offering the Hifiman 4xx for $129. But since he loves BASS, maybe one of the basshead favorites (Beats, Skullcandy etc etc ) out there might suit that need better. Since your stated budget for the whole system is < $2K, all of the just-mentioned headphones would be budget-busters. Sounds as if (not being an 'audiophile'), he's probably less interested in soundstage and micro-detail than in BASS.

A lot of powered monitors have Bluetooth, so if the phone will be a source, you don't even have to plug it in. You can sit on your a** across the room and control everything. Just add a sub as needed for BASS:lol: Vanatoo and Audioengine come to mind.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #15 on: 19 Oct 2019, 12:29 pm »
Don't over think this and don't waste money on presents YOU want. 

Heard the original Vanatoo Transparent One's a few years ago and liked them.  IMO they'd make for a generous house warming/Christmas present.

ebag4

« Reply #16 on: 19 Oct 2019, 12:56 pm »
For my son’s first system in his new place I picked up a PSAudio sprout (first version) .  He loves it, it Has an excellent BT connection which is how he uses it 99% of the time with his phone as a source.  The DAC sounds great.  It even has a phono input.  It has decent power to drive many speakers, I believe the current version is 50wpc @8 ohms.  That would still leave plenty for some decent speakers, I had some GR V1s that I gave him, the Combo is very nice.

Good luck!
Ed

dB Cooper

« Reply #17 on: 19 Oct 2019, 02:36 pm »
Excellent suggestion on the Sprout, ebag4. New unit with a warranty for just a little more than a vintage something-or-other.

witchdoctor

« Reply #18 on: 19 Oct 2019, 03:30 pm »
My nephew is heading off to coillege and I gave him a Polk S6 active speaker. It is part of the DTS PlayFi ecosytem so he can stream, play files, etc straight from his phone. You can get two of them and pair them in stereo as well. About $100 each on amazon. BTW, they are hirez capable and you can feed them amazon HD tracks staight from the app FWIW.

avta

« Reply #19 on: 19 Oct 2019, 03:36 pm »
Haven't heard these but you might consider the Elac Navis powered speakers. https://www.elac.com/product/navis-arb-61/