Spatial Audio - New X Class Product Announcement

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
Re: Spatial Audio - New X Class Product Announcement
« Reply #80 on: 26 Apr 2019, 10:58 pm »
Yes, the X5 will look just like the X3 - same quality and materials, but with a 12 inch woofer.

I will post a picture tomorrow.

Clayton
Spatial Audio Lab

These look amazing. Very happy you went with a wood baffle. I'm more of a wood guy than the standard black/white/red finish. Wondering if the X5 would work in my listening space. I listen in what used to be the dining room nook. The space is about 11x12 and totally open on the right side to about 1200 sq ft of living space while the left side is a wall with a big window. Not ideal, but not horrible either. One good thing is that the back wall is only a half wall with about 6' behind it before a full wall, so I'm not absolutely sitting backed up to the wall. I'm just wondering with the 12" drivers, will the sound get boomy in my space, especially with one speaker in the corner and the other more open?

I'd also love to see a picture of the back and how the amp is integrated into the design. Thanks!

ttan98

« Reply #81 on: 27 Apr 2019, 11:19 am »
X-1  ✔️
X-2  ✔️
X-3  ✔️
X-4  ??
X-5  ✔️
Looks like Spatial intends to sell the x1-x5  with NO  X-4 model to the China market!

sumoking

« Reply #82 on: 27 Apr 2019, 01:40 pm »
Looks like Spatial intends to sell the x1-x5  with NO  X-4 model to the China market!
Can you share your grounding for your understanding
that the X-4 will be developed? On paper their doesn’t seem
to be much difference between the x-3 and x-5. They even measure the same.
One just has a bit more impact due to the larger baffle.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #83 on: 27 Apr 2019, 01:49 pm »
Can you share your grounding for your understanding
that the X-4 will be developed? On paper their doesn’t seem
to be much difference between the x-3 and x-5. They even measure the same.
One just has a bit more impact due to the larger baffle.

My guess is he’s referring to this...

“The number 4 (四, pinyin: sì; Cantonese Yale: sei) is considered an unlucky number in Chinese because it is nearly homophonous to the word "death" (死 pinyin: sǐ; Cantonese Yale: séi). Thus, some buildings in East Asia omit floors and room numbers containing 4, similar to the Western practice of some buildings not having a 13th floor because 13 is considered unlucky.”

sumoking

« Reply #84 on: 27 Apr 2019, 02:42 pm »
Thank you!
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2019, 06:08 pm by sumoking »

mwalker2

« Reply #85 on: 27 Apr 2019, 06:36 pm »
Slush, I believe Clayton has realized this and there will be a revised/updated X-2 in the future.

Say dear Clayton- Congrats for both new X3 and X5. Any plans for owners of your X2’s with a revised update in the near future. If the answer is no then we will all have to seriously start thinking of selling them to acquire the X3’s . It only makes sense. Please advise.
Thanks,
Manny

yakbob

« Reply #86 on: 28 Apr 2019, 01:06 pm »
Say dear Clayton- Congrats for both new X3 and X5. Any plans for owners of your X2’s with a revised update in the near future. If the answer is no then we will all have to seriously start thinking of selling them to acquire the X3’s . It only makes sense. Please advise.
Thanks,
Manny

No offense intended mwalker2, but your statement actually makes no  sense to me. I had asked another x2 owner what deficiencies the X2 had that owners would expect to see corrected by a theoretical x2 (v2) and didn't get a response.
Why would (all...your word) x2 owners need to consider selling them just due to the fact a new design is released?
I've never read a bad word on the x2, but current owners apparently aren't as enthralled with the x2 as they state.
Just how bad is this $10k speaker?

Spatial Audio

« Reply #87 on: 28 Apr 2019, 02:36 pm »
Thanks,
Manny

Hello Manny,

Thank you - The X2 is stable, with no updates planned.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #88 on: 28 Apr 2019, 03:42 pm »

No offense intended mwalker2, but your statement actually makes no  sense to me. I had asked another x2 owner what deficiencies the X2 had that owners would expect to see corrected by a theoretical x2 (v2) and didn't get a response.
Why would (all...your word) x2 owners need to consider selling them just due to the fact a new design is released?
I've never read a bad word on the x2, but current owners apparently aren't as enthralled with the x2 as they state.
Just how bad is this $10k speaker?

At the risk of pointing out what is likely obvious at this point, I don't think X2 owners see a glaring deficiency in their speakers with the release of a new model, but see performance benefits and improvements in the new model(s) that don't seem a massive stretch to think could be implemented (trickled up, or down?) to the X2 platform, considering the X2 uses a similar configuration of AMT and 12" driver (setting aside different choices in exact driver models of course) that the top section of the X3/5 employ and also considering the X2 was at least at a glance designed as a modular system.  I can't speak to how many customers bought the X2 as a lifetime set it and forget it pair of speakers or bought it under the impression that it is/would be a modular system the manufacturer would support with future modular updates and upgrades providing an upgrade path to those who want one without having to sell and then buy all new speakers, but I think I'm safe in saying some of the questions stem from the impression that X2 was intended as an evolving ecosystem rather than a static model, and so far some X2 owners feel a little left out in the cold.

Based on Spatial Audio's responses thus far, it seem X2 is not a platform at all but an unchanging and singular model.  Considering the response from at least a few customers who bought the product, and their clear willingness to invest with their dollars in what is positioned relative to the X3/5 as a premium product, it is hard to argue that providing an upgrade path would not be something worth considering.  A triple stack X2 with low end duties offloaded from the clearly high-end mid/woofer driver with a powered bass section looks on paper to be a formidable combination while still allowing for the existing option within the X2 for customers that want or need to go with an entirely passive model.

If upgrading the X2 really isn't in the cards, and X3/5 are truly higher performing speakers at a considerably lower price, much like the M3 and M4 seem to have undercut and ultimately replaced the M1 and M2, the X3/5 (and maybe an all-passive variant based on the parts used in the X3/5) are poised to at some point do the same to the X2 as new customers guide the product assortment with their dollars.

yakbob

« Reply #89 on: 28 Apr 2019, 04:31 pm »
Jonathan, I don't feel you're pointing out the obvious. My question is why current x2  owners would have to "seriously start thinking of selling them off" without even having heard the new designs, while turnng their theoretical depreciation into actual depreciation.

If the x2 was indeed designed to be modular (like the PAP models) then an upgrade path seems logical. But, I don't recall the x2 being any more than a stand alone model.

That said, I don't mean to derail a thread on the new models talking about the x2, so I'll leave it at that.

The x3 and x5 look poised to offer great performance and I look forward to reading reviews once released.

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #90 on: 2 May 2019, 02:41 am »
re the position of the X2 going forward, here is a reminder of this post from march 30:

"The X2 will remain in the line. Many users like the stylish chassis design, low profile and all passive configuration. The upcoming X3 and X5 are simpler designs in the vein of the M3 chassis, and therefore less expensive to build. I always try to design and build the best product possible in a given range, while keeping in mind that customer needs vary."

what i really want to see is a review comparing a speaker the M series with the comparable speaker from the X series.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #91 on: 6 May 2019, 10:24 pm »
Here is the production X3. The baffle is a solid wood composite system that is rock solid:

Clayton

Are the dimensions on the new X3 and X5 available? Thanks.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #92 on: 9 May 2019, 05:55 pm »
Does anyone know if the AMT in Spatial X class speakers is the "ESS Heil AMT 1" modified with a wave guide

KLH007

« Reply #93 on: 10 May 2019, 01:57 am »
Does anyone know if the AMT in Spatial X class speakers is the "ESS Heil AMT 1" modified with a wave guide

I believe it's a Beyma TPL 200 H. Link;  https://www.beyma.com/en/products/c/amt-driver/1TPL20H8/twt-tpl-200-h-8-oh/

stefd

« Reply #94 on: 10 May 2019, 05:53 pm »
Everyone is asking, so here is a link to the X3 and X5 announcement.

Both models should be ready to show at Axpona 2019. Let me know if you have any questions.

https://clayton-shaw.squarespace.com/new-page

Clayton
Spatial Audio Lab

Clayton,
Would you have ETA for when  X3 will start shipping and the current wait time if applicable?
Thanks

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #95 on: 10 May 2019, 06:23 pm »
Regarding the AMT in the X series, it could be the TPL-150/H.  Based on what they cost (around $500 each retail), must be good.  Sounded really good to me in the X2.  And they are open in back in the Spatial speakers, which I think is a custom modification.

Here's a link to this AMT (I'm pretty sure this is the one used in these speakers):

https://beymapro.com/pleated-diaphragm-drivers-tpl-150-h-1tpl15h8.html

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #96 on: 10 May 2019, 06:47 pm »
  Looking good Clayton. AMT a great choice.

charles

Spatial Audio

« Reply #97 on: 12 May 2019, 03:08 am »
Here is the smaller X5 with powered 12 inch woofer - $5950 per pair

Same performance as the X3 but for smaller rooms.

Clayton

Spatial Audio

« Reply #98 on: 12 May 2019, 03:35 am »

Clayton,
Would you have ETA for when  X3 will start shipping and the current wait time if applicable?
Thanks

New orders for X3 and X5 will ship late June. We are booked until then.

Clayton

sumoking

« Reply #99 on: 16 May 2019, 06:28 am »
Hello Clayton-
Do the new X series speakers come with spikes?
I don't see them in the picture. Are you not recommending them?
Thank you.