Dac-60 Sonic Craft mods

xsb7244

Dac-60 Sonic Craft mods
« on: 23 Jan 2007, 04:23 am »
Danny,

What mods to the Dac-60 does Sonic Craft offer and can you give a description?

Danny Richie

Re: Dac-60 Sonic Craft mods
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2007, 04:07 pm »
The power supply for the DAC chips, audio circuit, and B+ receive filter mods and improvements via Rel Polystyrenes and Black Gates. The Coupling positions received a big dose of the good stuff via increased values of Sonicap with Platinum bypasses.  One of the BG caps alone, sells at Michael Percy's for $94 (PCX for $90 plus duty) while the two Platinums are $58. All in all it gets about $250 worth of upgraded parts alone.

JDUBS

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2007, 11:29 pm »
Danny

Do you have a status update on the DAC-60 USB input?

Thanks,
Jim

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2007, 07:05 pm »
I WISH I could get an update on the USB port status.

Hang in there and I'll let you know something as soon as I do.

xsb7244

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2007, 04:04 am »
Danny,

what happened to the Dac-60 Sonic Craft super mod for under $1500?  some rich guy might want this mod.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2007, 10:14 pm »
It is still in the works and has been in the A/B comparisons stage for quite a while (carefully choosing the right parts). It will be out soon.

JDUBS

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2007, 11:18 pm »
I WISH I could get an update on the USB port status.

Hang in there and I'll let you know something as soon as I do.

Thanks Danny.

Do you know if it will be a USB->i2s implementation?  I believe the DAC-60 is a good candidate for this.

-Jim

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2007, 01:25 am »
I have been waiting on the manufacturer to complete the USB input direct to I2S for some time now. We are now also looking into other options to implement this into the DAC-60.

xsb7244

« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2007, 01:03 am »
Danny,

The Sonic Craft basic mod of the DAC 60 looks like a very successful mod.  The up and coming super mod
of the DAC 60 will be a winner.  Can you talk about the time and effort required for this super mod?
To create this super mod did it take a year of research and testing to get it right?  And finally what are you
trying to accomplish with this mod?

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 4 Feb 2007, 09:21 pm »
The Sonic Craft basic mod of the DAC 60 looks like a very successful mod.

It's a bang for the buck mod that does the most good for the least amount of money.

Can you talk about the time and effort required for this super mod?

It has actually taken a long time because we have been A/B comparing different types of parts and tubes. I guess I have A/B'ed about 20 different types of tubes. Sometimes the most expensive parts (or tubes) are not necessarily the parts that sound the best. We spend a ton of time listening. I get two units handed to me at once. One has a Silver face plate and one has a Black face plate. I then burn each unit in for several days. Then hours are spent A/B comparing them and taking notes. I then give Jeff the feedback. I never know what is done to either unit.

To create this super mod did it take a year of research and testing to get it right?

To make it as good as it can be does take a long time. I don't want to throw something out there just to get it out there and then it not be as good as it can be and fall short of something else. Jeff (Sonic Craft) is actually having some application specific caps made just for this unit that will not be offered for sale or used in anything else.

And finally what are you trying to accomplish with this mod?

A DAC so good that it will be tough to beat regardless of price and still bring it in at a reasonable price point.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2007, 10:39 pm »
What's the ballpark on a complete unit with super mods?  I don't currently own any outboard DAC but am looking.

hmen

« Reply #11 on: 5 Feb 2007, 04:01 am »
Will there be a mod to give the DAC banced input and output?

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 5 Feb 2007, 04:49 pm »
What's the ballpark on a complete unit with super mods?

I can't answer that yet. I don't know what it's going to cost yet and so far I am oblivious to what mads have been done to the ones I am A/B'ing.

Will there be a mod to give the DAC banced input and output?

No, but we are working on a USB input.

jmourik

« Reply #13 on: 9 Feb 2007, 03:37 pm »
This GR dac-60 looks like a good deal! But may I ask :oops: how it stacks up against the Pacific Valve versions? Their modded 60 and the 62? And what about the dac68?

Also, I'm still wondering about the sound difference with the dac38. I like deep, punchy bass. I play stuff like Steely Dan and lots of 80s music, new wave. And some female vocalists...

Thanks for any info, jan
http://www.last.fm/user/jmourik/

kbuzz3

« Reply #14 on: 12 Feb 2007, 03:26 am »

No, but we are working on a USB input.
[/quote]\

USBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB BBBBBBBB ...hopefully soon

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb 2007, 01:21 am »
This GR dac-60 looks like a good deal! But may I ask  how it stacks up against the Pacific Valve versions? Their modded 60 and the 62? And what about the dac68?

Some of those mods were actually old factory options. Most of the rest of the mods are fairly basic and not taken as far as they could be. It appears to me that they are selling the upgrades by simply listing a lot of changes that are not necessarily much of an improvement. The DAC-68 is actually a step backwards. That chip set doesn't sound near as good and is simply an up-sampled 16 bit chip.

We are about to offer 3 levels of mods based on the extensive A/B comparisons made with the Super DAC research.

The first level (stage 1) will be the best bang for the buck mods that can be done to it. It will be $295. for this upgrade level and I guarantee it to easily exceed ANY other mods offered by anyone (aside from Steve Nugents $3,000. upgrade). What I will not do though is list the mods done to it. No sense in giving away the farm, but I will guaranteed no better performance at its price.

These mods will also exceed the performance of our previously offered mods by a notable margin. We will also offer an upgrade to those that purchased the previous upgrade for cost of parts only ($50. plus the shipping cost).

The second level mods (stage 2) will take it up a notch again but may be about double the cost.

The third level (stage 3 or super DAC level) will take it as far as possible given this circuit design. This will even include capacitors made specifically for this application. Price is yet to be determined.

None of the mods will include a detail of information for our competitors. You'll just be given a guarantee that it can't be beat.

On top of those mods we will also offer a USB interface that can be added to any version of the unit. Just don't ask when it will be available. I don't know. Whenever Jeff (Sonic Craft) gets finished with it.

xsb7244

« Reply #16 on: 14 Feb 2007, 03:13 am »
Danny,

what is your opinion about this?  I was curious about you not importing and offering the DAC-192 for
$1,750.00.  How does this DAC-192  compare to the DAC-60?

jmourik

« Reply #17 on: 14 Feb 2007, 05:02 am »
Danny,

what is your opinion about this?  I was curious about you not importing and offering the DAC-192 for
$1,750.00.  How does this DAC-192  compare to the DAC-60?
And it seems nobody wants to touch the dac38? Isn't that the same as the dac60 minus tubes?

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 14 Feb 2007, 01:45 pm »
The DAC-192 is an up-sampled 16 bit chip design just like the DAC-68, except it has a separate power supply and uses a solid state output instead of tubes. I think I'll pass on it.

jmourik

« Reply #19 on: 12 Mar 2007, 09:13 pm »
The first level (stage 1) will be the best bang for the buck mods that can be done to it. It will be $295. for this upgrade level and I guarantee it to easily exceed ANY other mods offered by anyone (aside from Steve Nugents $3,000. upgrade). What I will not do though is list the mods done to it. No sense in giving away the farm, but I will guaranteed no better performance at its price.

Danny, when can we order the dac60 with this new $295 mod? I decided I want one...

jan