1801s finally finished - pics

smithy666

1801s finally finished - pics
« on: 24 Dec 2006, 07:14 am »
It's taken a while but my 1801s are finally finished. I can't take credit for the woodwork - that goes to Stuart Montague. See pics.

TomW16

Re: 1801s finally finished - pics
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2006, 04:37 pm »
Very nice.  I don't think that I have seen bases that twist like that before.

Enjoy the speakers!

Tom

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2006, 05:06 pm »
Yes, very unique design. What veneer is that on the bases?

By the way, if you're looking for your keys, they're stil in the door. :duh: :lol:

Sonny

« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2006, 05:41 pm »
Very nice work on the bass and well, gotta love the speakers too!
Enjoy your holidays!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2006, 09:51 pm »
I gotta ask, did you ever think about veneering the 1801's to match the base? Not trying to come off as being critical or insulting here but that would have been my preference for complementing those stellar bases. Just a thought.  :)

Robin

smithy666

« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2006, 10:09 pm »
The veneer on the stands is Tasmanian Blackwood. I considered having the boxes the same as the stands, but I preferred a bit of a contrast, otherwise it would be a bit of an overload. The paint finish is really good - hard to tell from the photos - and goes well with the stands. This sounds wanky but I think they combine old world with modern. The twist in the base being modern, offset by the Blackwood finish, with the boxes being minimalist. The more I look at them, the more I am really pleased with how they turned out.
Thanks everyone for your comments.

SET Man

« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2006, 10:14 pm »
Hey!

Wow! :o Nice looking bottom :lol: I'm very very impressed with the bottom section. How did your carpenter make the twisted bottom like that?

Well, congratulation. I'm sure you enjoying them.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2006, 10:20 pm »
The veneer on the stands is Tasmanian Blackwood. I considered having the boxes the same as the stands, but I preferred a bit of a contrast, otherwise it would be a bit of an overload. The paint finish is really good - hard to tell from the photos - and goes well with the stands. This sounds wanky but I think they combine old world with modern. The twist in the base being modern, offset by the Blackwood finish, with the boxes being minimalist. The more I look at them, the more I am really pleased with how they turned out.
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Ya'know, now that you bring up that outlook, I can see this happenning. I'm sure the pictures don't do the 2 contrasting objects justice.  :thumb:

Robin

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2006, 10:50 pm »
That is a very cool look, and the veneer is gorgeous as well.

Cheers

smithy666

« Reply #9 on: 25 Dec 2006, 03:59 am »
   Wow! :o Nice looking bottom :lol: I'm very very impressed with the bottom section. How did your carpenter make the twisted bottom like that?

It's not straightforward. Essentially it is made from a number of panels, which are cut such that the thickness decreases from one corner to the next, with the two diagonally opposite corners being the same size. In effect there is a ridge which runs diagonally. Then each panel above the one below starts from the high point. So you would have the thinest section joining up to the thickest. This gives the twist as you continue it up. Sorry this description isn't that clear, it's just hard to describe.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 25 Dec 2006, 11:32 pm »
Wow, I've never seen anything like that.  Is it expensive as heck to get cabs like that made?  Very nice in any case! :thumb: