Sony PS3 - Gen II ?

kenreau

Sony PS3 - Gen II ?
« on: 4 Apr 2008, 04:39 pm »
I recall reading some blurb about Sony releasing an updated PS3 model (G2?) that was to addresses some known issues of heat, fan noise etc.

I'm on the verge of purchasing a PS3 and wanted to find out if & when this might happen. 

Any one out there in the know?

Thx,
Kenreau

Woodsea

Re: Sony PS3 - Gen II ?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2008, 05:06 pm »
I personally have not heard of this, I keep pretty good track of the industry.  The xbox is constantly getting small upgrades, though.  I will do a search, though.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2009, 01:36 am »
I think if you buy an new 80GB PS3 from SonyStyle it will be one of the new ones with less heat and quieter...I would research more but this is what I have heard...

SharkyRivethead

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2009, 12:30 am »
As someone that has a 60gig, and who has a friend that bought the newer 80gig. I can say it is much quieter than mine.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2009, 12:46 am »
Check out the post from launche gentlemen:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=62193.40

He describes how to know if one was buying a new or old version PS3.  I do not know if a newer model has hit the market since his post.

Rashiki

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2009, 01:05 am »
I can confirm this. I got the original 60GB PS3 when it first came out. It started acting up a few months back and I replaced it with the new 40GB model. It is definitely quieter. The old model would kick the fan to high speed quite often, while I haven't heard the new one ever go above low speed.

The downside of the new models is that they aren't compatible with PS2 games and they don't play SACD like the older ones did.

-Rob