NEW Official Stereo Maraschino Thread

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: NEW Official Stereo Maraschino Thread
« Reply #20 on: 18 Mar 2019, 03:52 pm »
Has anyone bypassed the volume potentiometer on their STM? I am currently using mine as a power amp and was wondering about even better SQ if it were bypassed.

Thanks,
Production tests are done with the volume all the way up, except the volume control test itself.  This makes performance nearly identical to a pair of Maraschino monoblocks.  The preamp section is designed to minimize any additional noise and distortion, thus the 120dB SNR with the volume all the way up!  That’s something you’re not likely to experience with a separate preamp, however, you can also get a “plain amp” in 2-channels with our new 2-CHerry amp.  More on that later....

matevana

« Reply #21 on: 19 Mar 2019, 11:11 am »
...however, you can also get a “plain amp” in 2-channels with our new 2-CHerry amp.  More on that later....

Thanks for the info. I think it's clever offering a 2-CHerry amp. I'm guessing it's like an STM minus the preamp section and front panel input? I may have opted for that if it were available, since I'm using a DAP as my source.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #22 on: 21 Mar 2019, 02:15 am »
Thanks for the info. I think it's clever offering a 2-CHerry amp. I'm guessing it's like an STM minus the preamp section and front panel input? I may have opted for that if it were available, since I'm using a DAP as my source.
More like a pair of Maraschino Monoblocks, but driven from a common power supply.  Channel separation is also >100dB !!

jonbee

Re: STM VS. DTM sonic performance
« Reply #23 on: 22 Mar 2019, 12:15 am »
Since I now own 2 sets of 60 V. Maraschino King monoblocks for my 2 main systems and have also used a 48V STM, I thought I would comment on sonic differences.
Both systems are high resolution. One system drives Avalon Opus, a 4 way system that is a smaller version of the Eidolon, w/ Accuton and Eton drivers and some load complexity and lowish sensitivity, and the other uses a pair of 7" two-way stand mount LaHave Melas, an easier load. I use virtually identical front ends and cabling, both using TDSS modded Nuprime DAC 10H dac/preamps.
The STM uses one 48 V power supply, and the Kings are true mono with  a pair of larger 60V PSs, and are much more powerful.
The net result of the switch was similar on both my systems, although more noticeable on the Avalons.
Right off the bat, I'd say that they sound very similar, as you might expect. Both have transparency focus, balance and smoothness in spades. Both can drive either pair of speakers with authority and are class leading, IMO.
The effect of moving from the STM to Kings on the frequencies above 200hz. or so is fairly subtle. There is a bit more "ease" and focus generally, with the STM being perhaps 90% of the Kings in that range.
Below 200 or so the overall focus, tightness, focus and clarity through the bass range is improved with the Kings, and the bottom end "slam" is sharper and more impactful. The Kings offer more clean dynamic slam (startling at times) than any amp I've had, and have rarely heard elsewhere, so the STM is up against one of the best in that dept. The improvement is clearly audible to me, and once again as expected the Avalons are most improved. In the lower ranges I'd give the STM 80-90% of the Kings, if those numbers make any sense, but still very satisfying on its own terms.
Given the mono Kings are much more than double the price , there's real value in the STM. Of course, the 60V King supply can be purchased and used with the STM as well, probably narrowing the differences.
I won't speak for anyone else, but if the $ is a big factor, the STM is one h*** of a bargain for the quality received.
For me, I feel fortunate that I own TWO amps that approach SOTA at a combined price less than the price of a single comparable quality high power audiophile amp.
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2019, 06:23 pm by jonbee »

AvsFan

« Reply #24 on: 20 Jun 2019, 08:29 pm »
Production tests are done with the volume all the way up, except the volume control test itself.  This makes performance nearly identical to a pair of Maraschino monoblocks.  The preamp section is designed to minimize any additional noise and distortion, thus the 120dB SNR with the volume all the way up!  That’s something you’re not likely to experience with a separate preamp, however, you can also get a “plain amp” in 2-channels with our new 2-CHerry amp.  More on that later....

So what you are saying is to get the best and purest signal, don't even use a pre-amp? Just source to your STM and that's it? 

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #25 on: 20 Jun 2019, 08:42 pm »
So what you are saying is to get the best and purest signal, don't even use a pre-amp? Just source to your STM and that's it?
Exactly !!

However, the STM can also be used as “just an amp” with the volume set to max.

AvsFan

« Reply #26 on: 20 Jun 2019, 08:48 pm »
Exactly !!

However, the STM can also be used as “just an amp” with the volume set to max.

Oh the hassles of having to get up and down to change the volume! LOL 1st world problems.  :D

AvsFan

« Reply #27 on: 22 Jun 2019, 01:11 am »
You mentioned earlier about using a pre-amp that uses DC coupling. Would this be a good match and what you’re talking about?

https://www.schiit.com/products/saga-s

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #28 on: 23 Jun 2019, 05:11 am »
You mentioned earlier about using a pre-amp that uses DC coupling. Would this be a good match and what you’re talking about?

https://www.schiit.com/products/saga-s
Yes, but balanced would be even better (:

AvsFan

« Reply #29 on: 23 Jun 2019, 06:43 pm »
Yes, but balanced would be even better (:

Their Freya is balanced but is it also DC coupled? I can’t figure it out based upon their description.

https://www.schiit.com/products/freya-s

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #30 on: 24 Jun 2019, 06:13 am »
Their Freya is balanced but is it also DC coupled? I can’t figure it out based upon their description.

https://www.schiit.com/products/freya-s
We are happy to answer questions directly to customers and potential customers right here!  You won’t be discussing much directly with the founders/owners of companies that are not on forums like Audio Circle.

Just thought it’s a good time to point that out (:

AvsFan

« Reply #31 on: 24 Jun 2019, 05:19 pm »
We are happy to answer questions directly to customers and potential customers right here!  You won’t be discussing much directly with the founders/owners of companies that are not on forums like Audio Circle.

Just thought it’s a good time to point that out (:

That makes sense.  :D

DeeCee

« Reply #32 on: 8 Aug 2019, 01:20 am »
Any folks out using Aerial Acoustics speakers with these amps? (Specifically Model 7) 86db/1W/1M, 4 ohm nominal. Inquiring minds want to know!

Happy Listening!
DeeCee

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical