proaudio speakers

hum4god

Re: proaudio speakers
« Reply #20 on: 16 Apr 2010, 09:32 pm »
one name missing in this proaudio speakers any good discussion is
Tom Danley.
i heard only good things about it and you can do a search and find people selling their avantgarde speakers to get Danley.
Mr. tom danley also posts on audioasylum as far as i remember.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/synergy_horn.asp?model=SH%2050

batmanslc2

« Reply #21 on: 16 Apr 2010, 10:08 pm »
I have had a few of the popular hi-fi monitor type speakers such as ACI, GR Research, Von Schweikert and quad.  (as well as other planar etc).  I then tried a pro speaker Mackie hr824 active design.. ( in  a typical family room type set up) they were OK but i preferred the previous mentioned home monitors.  The quad 12L being the best in my set up.  Then i picked up quad 12L active and they were a couple of steps ahead of the passive version.  They are very, very cable of great sound mated with quality source and pre. 
The mackies were dry and uninvolving, they did not translate the emotion of the music for me. 
the quads are much different, but then they come from a company rooted primarily in high end home hi fi, not "pro audio". 
I still want to try other pro speakers, right now looking at Adam a7, I also want to try some open baffle..... so little time.

JeffB

« Reply #22 on: 16 Apr 2010, 10:18 pm »
I have often considered going pro-audio for the home because I feel that there might be better value there and possible better sound.
Trying to mix and match pro and home equipment seems a little difficult though.  The cabling and connectors are different.  The voltages and impedances are different.  Pro-audio seems to lack the concept of a pre-amp, although there are mixers.  I can't seem to find a pro-audio DVD player.  If I use a home DVD player, then the connections are wrong to hook up to a pro-audio amplifier, and where does the volume control get handled.  If I want to do surround sound and I have active speakers, then how do the channels get split and where does the volume get handled.  I suspect for pro-audio, that computers are becoming the source.  However, are there external sound-cards that split the signal into 7-channels and allow digital volume control from the PC.  Is this split analog only, what about with active speakers?

As for speakers themselves, I have the following thoughts.
I think as a general rule, horns are more dynamic, but have more distortion.  Sometimes, I here a sound-re-enforcement type speaker up against a wall and just think that dynamically these put home speakers to shame.  However, when listening to a PA speaker out in a room, I am often amazed at how annoying the upper frequencies really are.  I really think the horns shine against a wall or in a corner.  Must be something about the sound dispersion.  And interestingly enough, the pro-audio speakers often have 12" or 15" cones, where most home-audio equipment uses something around 6.5".  I think this again leads to greater dynamics at the sacrafice of distortion.  All the sound-reenforcement speakers look like they are designed to be thrown around and survive a hard life.  They are not pretty.

Then there are the small studio monitors.  I don't think these quite work in the home either, although I am not quite sure why.  You need to listen further away than they were designed for.  So you need a sub-woofer to help with the bass.  I have oftened wondered if the cross-overs have more notch filters and stuff to really flatten the response, but at the expense of distortion.  I think they are usually 4th order which might lower distortion, but increase phase shift.  The best ones I have heard are Genelecs, but they are expensive, so there is no value proposition there.

Well, these are all sweeping generalizations, and there maybe exceptions.

I think I might like a passive solution though with the U15s or something like it.  I am just not sure.

JeffB

« Reply #23 on: 16 Apr 2010, 10:24 pm »
Another thought with the sound-reenforcement type is that they are designed to play very loud and be very efficient.  The drivers therefore cover a narrower frequency range.  I think this helps create the dynamics.  However, at home, the tremendous volume is not needed.  The speakers sensitivity can be lowered and the drivers can cover a wider frequency range.  I think this results in a smoother, but less dynamic sound.