Bamberg 2 TM Monitors

Ponzio

Bamberg 2 TM Monitors
« on: 15 May 2014, 05:50 am »
Anyone own a pair and what are your impressions? I currently own a pair of Focal 1027Be's and a pair of KEF LS50's and was wondering how they compare tonally.

jk@home

Re: Bamberg 2 TM Monitors
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2014, 11:47 am »
Not to go too much OT, but what do you think about your KEFs? I picked up a pair a couple months ago and am still playing around with the set up.

Ponzio

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2014, 04:58 pm »
Worth every penny.   :D

I have a 14'x14' box, so acoustics are not optimal, sitting at a desk.  I went thru 3 gyrations of speakers and now I'm done ... unless I can pick up a pair of Joseph Audio Pulsars for $1500   :lol: 

I paired them up with a EMP Tek1010i sub and I'm happier than a pig in you know what.  I'm pushing them with a Yamaha RX-V2700 (140wpc) and they can handle it all.  They're on 36" stands about a 1.5' from the rear walls and 2.5' from the sides.  There's a port bung, as you know but they do like space to flex their muscle, so they're running naked.  They are power hungry and will keep handling it as I push the volume but never loose their composure, even at ear splitting levels.  They're ugly as sin but I don't care.  People are just knocked out by the clarity and the soundstage.

Sorry to go on.  What kind of power are you using to drive them?

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2014, 05:55 pm »
I own the Bamberg Series 5 MTMs and have heard several of Phil's designs. They all have similar qualities and all sound very good. The series 2 is probably more forgiving than the series 5. If you like the sound of Joseph Audio, I think you will really like the Bamberg 2 TMs.  You might need a sub if you like deep bass but I prefer Bamberg speakers to the KEF LS50's.

If you are in the Chicago area you are welcome to stop by and check out the 5's. They are different than the 2s but will give you a good impression of the sound. The new actives Phil is selling are also very nice. Good luck.

gab

« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2014, 07:07 pm »
I heard the Bamberg Series 5 TMWs at LSAF 2013 and they sounded fantastic. I was hoping to hear the Series 3 at LSAF this year, but Phil couldn't make it.

I believe the Joseph Audio Pulsars that you like use the same tweeter that's in the Series 5 - a Seas Excel Millennium.

gab

WireNut

« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2014, 07:49 pm »
Jackman,

I just saw a pic of the series 5 MTM's. He uses Clarity caps MR's in the crossovers, nice  :thumb:

Ponzio

« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2014, 10:44 pm »
You might need a sub if you like deep bass but I prefer Bamberg speakers to the KEF LS50's.

If you are in the Chicago area you are welcome to stop by and check out the 5's. They are different than the 2s but will give you a good impression of the sound. The new actives Phil is selling are also very nice. Good luck.

When you say "I prefer the Bamberg" over the LS50's, do you mean the 5's or the 2's or the overall series of speaker lineup's, Bamberg vs. KEF?  If you mean the 5's vs. LS50, I really wouldn't be surprised.

Adding a sub to any bookshelf is a given, in my eyes.  I plan on matching up a EMP Tek 1010i to whatever I get, be it the 2TM's, Ascend Audio Sierra-1 NrT's or whatever bookshelf I finally decide to get.

Thanks for the offer to demo but I'm slightly east of you, in the Philly area.   :D

jk@home

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2014, 11:36 pm »
Worth every penny.   :D
 ...Sorry to go on.  What kind of power are you using to drive them?

Loving mine too. Right now using an old Aragon 8008ST, which is 200 wpc @8 ohms, 400wpc @ 4 ohm. On stands, in a 12 x 15 room, with stereo subs. Next upgrade will be a new amp, just cause of the age of the Aragon. Right now thinking of the Parasound A21.

jackman

« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2014, 03:06 pm »
When you say "I prefer the Bamberg" over the LS50's, do you mean the 5's or the 2's or the overall series of speaker lineup's, Bamberg vs. KEF?  If you mean the 5's vs. LS50, I really wouldn't be surprised.

Adding a sub to any bookshelf is a given, in my eyes.  I plan on matching up a EMP Tek 1010i to whatever I get, be it the 2TM's, Ascend Audio Sierra-1 NrT's or whatever bookshelf I finally decide to get.

Thanks for the offer to demo but I'm slightly east of you, in the Philly area.   :D

Yep, I have not heard the 2's but all of Phil's speakers share similar voicing, even if they use different drivers. Phil is really excited about the Series 2 speakers and the new active Series 3's. They look like solid designs.

For the record, I'm a big fan of Joseph Audio and feel Bamberg speakers are every bit as good for a fraction of the price. He has a 30 day trial period. I encourage you to try the 2's and report your findings, positives and negatives.

Cheers

Jack

Ponzio

« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2014, 04:01 pm »
Yep, I have not heard the 2's but all of Phil's speakers share similar voicing, even if they use different drivers. Phil is really excited about the Series 2 speakers and the new active Series 3's. They look like solid designs.

For the record, I'm a big fan of Joseph Audio and feel Bamberg speakers are every bit as good for a fraction of the price. He has a 30 day trial period. I encourage you to try the 2's and report your findings, positives and negatives.

Cheers

Jack

Thanks for the recommendation Jack.  Surprisingly as of yet I have not gotten one response here or the Audioholics site from an actual owner, which in of itself means nothing, but I would have been a bit reassured.  And yes if I decide to do a in-house demo I'll let everyone know.  I have a similar spare set of stands that I use for my LS50's and I can test them side by side for comparison.  If they're as good as you claim, it's a no-brainer.

jackman

« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2014, 04:29 pm »
Sounds great. I hope you have a chance to do a direct comparison and share your impressions. We all have different preferences and your comments could be helpful to someone in a similar situation.

Bamberg Audio makes beautiful sounding speakers and they are a great value. Phil Isn't the best marketer but he obsesses over his designs like no other person I have ever met. He is uncompromising in his design and is a good guy. Don't be surprised if you are amazed by the speakers.

Cheers

Jack

musiclear

« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2014, 05:30 pm »
Sorry to come to this a bit late, but I have the first Series 2 as the top part of my system and I really, really like them.

I've been listening to and comparing a variety of high end equipment and speakers for many years and what the Series 2 does really well compare to anything I have heard is provide a wide and open sound stage that is pin point accurate and natural sounding.

Honestly, that is what I have always been looking for and now that I have that, I feel no desire to upgrade or change these speakers at all.  This is the first time I can say that.....ever.

I am in the process of tuning the sub section and treating the room, but the Series 2 satellites leave nothing for me to desire.

The music sounds like the music.  No additions, no subtractions. 
« Last Edit: 18 May 2014, 09:49 pm by musiclear »

dburna

« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2014, 05:45 pm »
Apologies for a small hijacking, but does anyone know additional information 'bout the Active 3's?  In particular I wanted to know:

1. Can you purchase/use the Active 3 monitors as standalone speakers?
2. If so, how low do they go?  Is it a must that they be used with a sub?
3. Do they have to be placed well out into a room?  Or can they go close-ish to a back wall?

Thanks,  -dB

LadyDog

« Reply #13 on: 18 May 2014, 05:52 pm »
Living local to Phil, I have heard a few of his designs.  Though not the 2's.  Both the 5's and 6's are excellent though.  So I expect the 2's and 3's to that matter, mirror their bigger brothers.  Hoping to hear the 3's soon.

Phil fly's well under the radar, and partially as Jack mentions, Phil is not a marketing guy.  His strong suit is the nuts and bolts of a speaker - driver integration, crossover work, ect.

Both the 5's and 6's had a similar voice, so not sure if that translates to the 2's or not, but I'm guessing it is the same; very neutral.  Which is a positive for many, but possibly a negative for others.  Anyway, if by chance you are looking for some warmth in your system, it will need to come from your rest of your gear.   

musiclear

« Reply #14 on: 18 May 2014, 10:01 pm »
This link will bring you to the Series 3 page at Bamberg Audio.

http://www.bambergaudio.com/products/series3/3tmw.php

One helpful aspect of the midrange drivers in the Series 3 is how low they can play without a sub.  I believe the corner frequency is 40hz vented so it can clearly play well with out a sub.  If you want to add the sub section later, everything is set to integrate easily and perfectly because it was designed specifically for that satellite.

Ponzio

« Reply #15 on: 18 May 2014, 10:24 pm »
The music sounds like the music.  No additions, no subtractions.

We have a winner!   :D

thanks for verifying what I suspect.  the driver specs, framing & crossover build look spot on.  I just have to dig up the cash.  :x

a daughters wedding & skeptical spouse will do that to you.  :wink:

charmerci

« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2014, 04:09 pm »

a daughters wedding ...... will do that to you.  ;)

Ouch! I even felt that pain in my wallet!  I'm sorry and congratulations!  :lol:

Ponzio

« Reply #17 on: 19 May 2014, 05:10 pm »
Ouch! I even felt that pain in my wallet!  I'm sorry and congratulations!  :lol:

Thank you.  The problem isn't my daughter but my missus & my daughters future mother-in-law to be.  The mother-in-law never had a daughter and she loves my pumpkin like her own, so she's vicariously recreating what she would have done, if she had one.  And my wife is trying to out-do our wedding.  We had 318 guests!  At $110 bucks a pop ... well you can do the math.  Those were different times and at $18 a plate, while it seemed extravagant at the time, is downright a bargain compared to today.  Luckily my daughter is more level headed than both and set a limit of 150 people.  The poor dear is putting up a brave fight but they're relentless.  So she runs to me and tells me to stop them.  So guess who's the bad guy, since I can't tell the Katzenjammer Twins that she thinks they're loons? Yep, me.  So you can see my dilemma with my beloved, "oh I see, it's OK if you spend a thousand bucks on some stupid speaker, while you have all those other speakers, 3 sets that you even don't even use, but I'm not allowed to spend $3,500 on fireworks that night".   :o  Believe it or not this conversation actually occurred.

I feel like Al Bundy sometimes.  There's a scene where Al is put upon by Meg and you hear someone knocking on the door.  Al looks straight into the camera and says,  "if there's a God, that's a bullet with my name on it".

charmerci

« Reply #18 on: 19 May 2014, 05:31 pm »
Can't you just set a budget limit? We will spend this much (which gives her an idea of what you're spending) and then anything above that should be raised by the two.

jackman

« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2014, 12:34 am »
Man, you are much cooler than my inlaws!  When I got married, they contributed zero dollars. We had 300 people and I had to pay for everything myself. Also, my wife's cheapskate family gave us cheap ass gifts like towels and clock radios.  Thankfully, my family was more generous and helped us get close to breaking even.