suggest good contrasting speaker to Hornshoppe Horns?

Saturn94

Re: suggest good contrasting speaker to Hornshoppe Horns?
« Reply #20 on: 21 Sep 2012, 06:50 pm »
I would suggest the Soundfield Monitor 1 from AJ here on AC.  At $1300 a pair it's a bit over your budget, but there's nothing quite like them for the price and they are the anti-Hornshoppe Horns to a tee.  They are designed to be extraordinarily flat with in room response curves, are dynamic to a level unheard of in speakers this size, and are very un-fussy about placement.  As they are custom built for each customer, you can get them finished in just about any way you want.

http://www.soundfieldaudio.net/

+1

Even though I wasn't in the market for speakers (I just purchased Salks in early 2011) I participated in the Monitor 1 speaker tour "because it would be fun".  Long story short, I ordered a pair after my "just for fun" audition. :lol:

You can read the review I posted here (post#223):

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=97955.220

fiveoclockfriday

« Reply #21 on: 20 Dec 2012, 02:48 pm »
*Long overdue update*

I looked around at the speaker options you guys presented, contacted some of the manufacturers, etc. While doing this, an opportunity came up to grab a pair of Ohm Microwalsh Talls used for around $500 - I couldn't pass it up. I'm still really curious about some of the other models, especially the Soundfield Monitor and Nate's Audio, but at that price I had to take the plunge.

I've had them about 4 months now; totally different than the Horns but I'm really enjoying them for what they are.

Everyone knows about Ohm, but few people seem to be discussing them (aside from a huge thread on Audiogon). If there's interest I'll post a detailed review/description in the next few weeks.

Thanks again for your help.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #22 on: 20 Dec 2012, 05:28 pm »
Thanks for the update.

fredgarvin

« Reply #23 on: 20 Dec 2012, 05:44 pm »
*Long overdue update*

I looked around at the speaker options you guys presented, contacted some of the manufacturers, etc. While doing this, an opportunity came up to grab a pair of Ohm Microwalsh Talls used for around $500 - I couldn't pass it up. I'm still really curious about some of the other models, especially the Soundfield Monitor and Nate's Audio, but at that price I had to take the plunge.

I've had them about 4 months now; totally different than the Horns but I'm really enjoying them for what they are.

Everyone knows about Ohm, but few people seem to be discussing them (aside from a huge thread on Audiogon). If there's interest I'll post a detailed review/description in the next few weeks.

Thanks again for your help.

That's interesting, your first post pointed out you wanted a different presentation rather than just a different speaker. I was thinking myself that an omni type would be something different than the 'performers up front in the room' sound that you were tired of. It's nice you were able to find something in your budget.