Bought my 1st sub. Please advise re: connections

medium jim

Re: Bought my 1st sub. Please advise re: connections
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jul 2012, 02:56 am »
Sonic:

Sounds like there may be a short in the rca connections on the plate amp...Try different IC's or wire into the pinch connects to see if that resolves the problem.  The good thing is that you only spent $20 for the Plate Amp, the bad news is that you paid $20....

Why I say you have a short is because of the way the Driver is acting...you could also check the amp to see if any wires are accidently touching as this would cause an open circuit (short).

Hope this helps!

Jim

sonicxtc

« Reply #21 on: 1 Aug 2012, 02:05 am »
Sonic:

Sounds like there may be a short in the rca connections on the plate amp...Try different IC's or wire into the pinch connects to see if that resolves the problem.  The good thing is that you only spent $20 for the Plate Amp, the bad news is that you paid $20....

Why I say you have a short is because of the way the Driver is acting...you could also check the amp to see if any wires are accidently touching as this would cause an open circuit (short).

Hope this helps!

Jim
Nice quip Jim. That was funny.

Thanks Jim, Dave and everyone else. I'm inclined to agree it's the plate amp. The sub plays "music" upstairs. I confirmed the connections are correct via conversation with SVS [sub manufacturer].

Jim, I will look at the connections within the plate amp, but I'm aiming for a "new" plate amp or similar.

So, this probably belongs as a stand-alone question: What can be used to power this sub? Can an old receiver or integrated amp which accepts a high level input be used? Only a plate amp?
I'm gathering, at the least, I need a low pass filter. Any general guidelines would be helpful.

Thank you everyone for all the input.

*Scotty*

« Reply #22 on: 1 Aug 2012, 02:52 am »
You might want look at the Parts Express plate amps.
http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=505
Scotty