Looking for a decent set of binding posts. Any ideas?

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
Re: Looking for a decent set of binding posts. Any ideas?
« Reply #20 on: 29 Feb 2012, 10:48 pm »
A little OT, but If you are DIYing and can re-terminate the speaker end of you cables, then I'll put my two cents in for the Neutrik SpeakOn connectors.  Just used them for the first time and love how they go together.  Can't comment on comparative apple-to-apples sound.... not about to swap out the connectors and install binding posts... but the amps and cables I just built are sounding very good.

Best part, they only run about $3-4 each (got mine at partsexpress).  4-pole version makes bi-wiring a snap.  I also like that the actual mass of the conductive contacts is relatively small compared to many binding posts.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #21 on: 29 Feb 2012, 11:48 pm »
Yeah, I made some custom length speaker cables for my bass rig and used solid core wire speakon connectors.  I love them too!

For this project though,  I want to use binding posts because it will just make life easier for me.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #22 on: 1 Mar 2012, 01:59 am »
There is no comparison between my binding post bypass system (using the binding post as a clamp) and ANY other form of speaker connector.  I don't care if your binding post is made out of pure OCC silver.....the clamped wires (or wire to spade) will sound better.  If you want to listen to a piece of ordinary copper or worse yet brass, then you suffer the consequences.....bad sound!  Once you hear the difference you will never ever talk about binding posts again.  Same with spades and bananas.....they suck.  Use bare wire on your speaker wires clamped to the wires coming out of your amps and speakers.....way cool!  And it costs......nothing!  You still have the ability to remove and replace the cables but you now have the "no sound" connection.

Æ

« Reply #23 on: 1 Mar 2012, 02:00 am »
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I appreciate all of the comments too, relevant or not. But thanks for trying to keep things on track AE.  :thumb:

I'm still not sure which way I'll go, but I'm leaning towards the cmc style to get the copper (or silver) content up and the price down. I think Pomona makes a copper binding post (3770?) for around nine bucks a piece, so I might go that route too. More plastic and less metal.

Obviously I'm in no big hurry to get this done . . . .

Yes, Pomona is available over the counter at most any decent electronics parts store. Their products are designed mostly for test instruments, instrumentation. Built to last, rugged but not necessairly audiophile endorsed.

Æ

« Reply #24 on: 1 Mar 2012, 02:03 am »
There is no comparison between my binding post bypass system (using the binding post as a clamp) and ANY other form of speaker connector.  I don't care if your binding post is made out of pure OCC silver.....the clamped wires (or wire to spade) will sound better.  If you want to listen to a piece of ordinary copper or worse yet brass, then you suffer the consequences.....bad sound!  Once you hear the difference you will never ever talk about binding posts again.  Same with spades and bananas.....they suck.  Use bare wire on your speaker wires clamped to the wires coming out of your amps and speakers.....way cool!  And it costs......nothing!  You still have the ability to remove and replace the cables but you now have the "no sound" connection.

Or you could do like Martin Colloms did. He had some special woofers wired up, voice coils with silver wire, but instead of terminating them at the speaker connectors, he had them made with extra long tails, so he could bypass any and all connectors or soldering and took the ends of the voice coil wires all the way to his amps!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: 9 Mar 2012, 10:23 pm »

Here is a link to some that are decent and affordable. Scroll down.

http://www.apexjr.com/Jacks.htm

I received these (short version) today and they're actually very very nice.   :thumb:

Æ

« Reply #26 on: 10 Mar 2012, 12:30 am »
I received these (short version) today and they're actually very very nice.   :thumb:

You mean these?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: 10 Mar 2012, 12:37 am »
You mean these?

That's them!  I got four pairs.   :D

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: 25 Mar 2012, 11:38 pm »
Just to follow up on them...they're really nice quality.   :thumb:

dspringham

« Reply #29 on: 25 Mar 2012, 11:49 pm »
Hey jtwrace,

This wouldn't happen to be one of the enclosures for a Hypex ncore amp would it????

Regards,
Dave

Æ

« Reply #30 on: 25 Mar 2012, 11:55 pm »
I think it's great when the DIY community can find decent components without having to pay through the nose for them.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #31 on: 25 Mar 2012, 11:56 pm »
I think it's great when the DIY community can find decent components without having to pay through the nose for them.
+1

Thanks to you for the link!!!  :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: 27 Mar 2012, 01:07 pm »
Hey jtwrace,

This wouldn't happen to be one of the enclosures for a Hypex ncore amp would it????

Regards,
Dave
yes it would.