New All-Poly crossover option

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
New All-Poly crossover option
« on: 17 Apr 2010, 03:57 pm »
Just completed the work on this new option for our systems. here's a link to the page and some of the info:
"With this option we have removed any electrolytic capacitors in our crossovers and replaced them with high voltage poly and teflon capacitors and the highest quality resistors, carefully matching all components for perfect balance. This has been a painstaking process as we didn't just substitute new parts but selected specific capacitors and resistors for optimum synergy."

lhttp://www.daedalusaudio.com/AP-Option.html

vinyl_lady

Re: New All-Poly crossover option
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2010, 04:04 pm »
Very cool Lou. Congratulations. I know you have been working on this for quite a while. Looks like I am going to have to make a trip to the west side and bring my speakers with me. Maybe when I come over for the U2 concert in June.

Laura

fwinston

« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2010, 04:13 pm »
So glad to see there's an upgrade path for my Ulysses speakers that will take them to an even higher level of performance.

Thanks, Lou, for making continual improvements to your products.

Frank

david12

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2010, 06:06 pm »
I will hopefully, be the proud owner of the first pair, fedex permitting. I have'nt asked again, for obvious reasons, but any idea when they will be making there way over the Atlantic lou, Icelandic volcanos permitting?
   I do'nt want any of that pumice dust damaging the wood surface.
  David

jriggy

« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2010, 02:48 pm »
Hello Lou,

When we spoke on the phone the other week (getting me lined up for an audition of your speakers), if memory serves, you mentioned how impressed you were with the bass response, w/ the new crossover. Particularly with the DA-RMa's I think...
Could you explain what you feel the major benefits are with this upgrade? More of everything? or does this new crossover shine in any one aspect more than others?

Thanks

Jason

Berto

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2010, 02:46 am »
Jriggy WAIT till you hear the DA-RMa's :drool:

I'm waiting on pair of Ulysses w/new x-over, Never heard them, but the way people describe these well you all know :duh: 

This past Monday (a month in the making) had one of nicest hosts (Thx again Jimmy S.) you could imagine, showcase his beautiful DA-RMa's. I told Jimmy flat out, IMO you do not need a sub. It was a 3hr JAM session that went by too quick. I'm not a big classical guy but how these speakers handle the dynamic swings was something to behold.  On Live Norah Jones from London I heard the acoustics of that venue like never before. Its touch of warmth probably contributes to the fact you do not wanna stop listening to these speakers. 

Lastly, I've seen all the pics of the DA-RMA's online (pro pics) and none of them capture the true beauty of them like they look in person.

jriggy

« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2010, 04:51 pm »
Berto,

If I wasn't excited - witch I most definitely was - I am even more so now!
Actually, I will be auditioning the Ulysses @ Franks house on the 30th but am interested in the 1.1's or the DA-RMa's... I just cant decide what presentation I am most interested in... Your comment on the DA-RMa's regarding bass response is great to hear!

Very much looking forward to our visit Frank!

~J

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2010, 11:13 pm »
Hello Lou,

When we spoke on the phone the other week (getting me lined up for an audition of your speakers), if memory serves, you mentioned how impressed you were with the bass response, w/ the new crossover. Particularly with the DA-RMa's I think...
Could you explain what you feel the major benefits are with this upgrade? More of everything? or does this new crossover shine in any one aspect more than others?

Thanks

Jason
I just had a chance to swap between the AP (all-poly) DA-RMa/ standard DA-RMa/ and  AP Ulysses.  I hadn't listened to the standard DA-RMa for a while and was pleased at how engaging they are, nice to know I hadn't been 'jaded' by the All-Poly systems.
what struck me most going between the standard and the AP was a sense of three dimensionality and an absolutely effortless performance. (something like the best attributes of the very best single driver systems but with full and accurate response with incredibly precise imaging).
I'm really looking forward to RMAF when we'll have the Galibier turntable etc.
there's more info on the web site as well.

thanks,
lou

david12

« Reply #8 on: 4 May 2010, 04:29 pm »
   Well, the new Da-RMas with AP upgrade have arrived safely and just to repeat what everyone says, photos do'nt do them justice. I am afraid I can not give a comparison with the the normal version, which I only heard at RMAF, too long ago to remember, but they sound phenomenal. I would have liked to consider the Ulysses, but they are too big for my room.

I am playing one of my favourite CDs through my Modded Resolution Audio Opus 21 through my trusty Viva Solista, an 845, 22 watt SET, Shawn Colvin's "Cover Girl".  It just sounds effortless, airy, transparent, fast and soo dynamic. In short, it sounds like music, not HiFi. It struck me at RMAF, how many of the top $ systems had ticked all the right boxes, but still sounded dry and sterile, in comparison.

So I am very happy with the speakers and the Crossover upgrade. As it happened I asked Lou about upgrading the crossover, when I bought them and he was already thinking about it.

Berto

« Reply #9 on: 4 May 2010, 08:49 pm »
Congrats Dave!  Now how do you plan on getting anything done :icon_lol:

Curious how big your room is and are your 22 watts powerful enough?

Also , if you get a chance love to see a pic.

Thx
Rob (aka Berto)

david12

« Reply #10 on: 5 May 2010, 09:55 am »
 Rob
   you're right about getting anything done. I thought they would be good, but the sound is stunning. As for the amp, well there are watts and the Solista has WATTS. My room is 20 by 20 foot, but the sound is roomfilling. As a matter of fact, an LSA Statement is available second here and I am going to listen to it tomorrow, just to see what 150 watts will do.

The finish is quartersawn oak, which I do'nt think Lou has done before for the monitors. That is the finish my wife wanted, she is an interior designer by training and hard to please. She is very happy with them and particularly how unobtrusive they are. That is why I chose the Da-RMa's, over the Ulysses, which are taller and deeper to of course. The Monitors do seem to have the WAF factor.

Berto

« Reply #11 on: 6 May 2010, 10:01 pm »
Hey Dave glad you are enjoying them! I can only imagine how beauiful the quartersewn oak is as well.  My Ulysses are shipping ,I'm hoping today so sometime next week should be like a holiday for me :drool:

Curious if you got to hear that LSA statement with your DA-RM'as and if so, what differences you noticed compared to your SET?

Randy

« Reply #12 on: 6 May 2010, 10:51 pm »
David - can you post a photo? These just might be the speakers I am looking for.

david12

« Reply #13 on: 7 May 2010, 07:12 pm »
  Randy
    I will try, but I am no Richard Avedon. Let's see how it goes.  At the moment I have Symposium rollerblock Juniors under the maple block and am using Walker Audio HDL links with the Morrow audio SP4 Speaker cable. I have'nt tried any other speaker cable with them yet.  Looking at the photos, I realise I have the maple blocks the wrong way round...Dooh

David

Randy

« Reply #14 on: 7 May 2010, 08:57 pm »
David, thanks for the photos. They are great looking speakers. The new bases are an improvement. I never liked the old ones, they looked so chunky to me. These are an improvement, but I still don't like them very much. Any idea why a good set of steel stands wouldn't work? Lou?

What are your electronics? How's the bass response?

Thanks again,
Randy

Berto

« Reply #15 on: 7 May 2010, 10:07 pm »
Beautiful Speakers Dave , thx for the pics.  Wish I could listen to them through the pics.

IMO the matching stands are beautiful in person.  I think the amount of seperation from the rollerblock isolation throws you off a lil bit.  Doesn'nt look as seemless. Steel might work but Lous speakers and stands are works of art, so I think Randy just said a curse word  :lol:

david12

« Reply #16 on: 8 May 2010, 08:02 am »
  Randy

I am still thinking about the amp, but the rest of the system is;
          TW Accustic Raven one/Ortofon309D/Koetsu Onyx or Benz Micro LP
           GNSC modded Resolution Audio Opus 21
           Magnum Dynalab FT 101A
           Viva Solista 22watt 845 SET

I do'nt know where I read it, but the speakers certainly show up any deficiencies in the rest of the chain and the Solista seems to be one. It really is a great amp, one of the best I have heard, but the base is a bit loose and I am sure that is the amp, a few more watts would be good.

I went to hear an LSA Statement this week and I was very disappointed, particularly after hearing the reviews. I think I am stuck with all tubes, though I plan to listen to a Pathos TT, another hybrid integrated. I listened to an Ayon Orion at the same dealer as the LSA and that was really nice, plus you have the option of Triode or Pentode operation. Any other ideas would be welcome.

David

Berto

« Reply #17 on: 8 May 2010, 04:38 pm »
Hi David,

I doubt I will wanna part with my discontinued 50 watt audio aero captiole anytime soon, but I have heard nothing but great things about the atma-sphere M60s. Many describe this as a end of the road amp and one of these days i'm going to have to try them myself.

More importantly I spoke to a dealer who bought a show pair of Ulysses after hearing his M60s with them.  He also mentioned a close second to them was his quicksilver monos (probably newest version). I'm sure if you are patient you can get a good deal on either of these in the second hand market as well.

I don't wish to mention names or comparisons to be fair to all but here is a quote of what the nice gentlman/Ulysses owner said:                                                                                           
        "The Atma-spheres brought the bass under tight control, while still providing all the harmonics and tone colors you'd expect from good tube gear. There was subtlety and nuance - everything I need and want in a speaker"

So IMO this seems like a grand idea! :thumb:

Rob

Randy

« Reply #18 on: 8 May 2010, 05:12 pm »
  David,
  Thanks for the info. I bet the Quad II Classic integrated amp would be a great match for the Daedalus speakers.    See the recent review in the May issue of Gramophone. Maybe a bit pricy, however. 4500 UK.

Randy

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 9 May 2010, 05:57 pm »
David, thanks for the photos. They are great looking speakers. The new bases are an improvement. I never liked the old ones, they looked so chunky to me. These are an improvement, but I still don't like them very much. Any idea why a good set of steel stands wouldn't work? Lou?

Randy,  steel stands would work but I would use them with the maple bases under the speakers. the maple bases couple with the cabinet and act as a resonance 'sink', the stands wood, metal, whatever... need to isolate the speakers from the floor and provide a stable foundation.

thanks,
lou